RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I have not gone to their store yet, she thought that would be best for me and our phones.

I was reading the following thread, a Hotspot Prepaid user did 273GB's his fist month with no slowdowns (others saying they did 500GB's their first month):

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...rizon_prepaid/

Starting to think so and from reading, the JetPack model you have seems to be ideal vs the newer one (unless I can get the newer one for the same price).

Actually, I think it was someone else suggesting the older, 7730. Personally, all four of mine are the more expensive 8800L. While it's hard to say for sure that it's worth the extra money, based on the reviews I read, it seemed like the 8800L performed slightly better, especially in weak signal areas.

That said, I think either will probably be just fine.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
Ah! Makes sense. How long did your last before it stopped working?

Actually mine stopped working in one day. The phone number listed in the WifiManager belonged to somebody else in another state. I had to go to an ATT corporate store and have a new sim installed and put on my account.

Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Actually mine stopped working in one day. The phone number listed in the WifiManager belonged to somebody else in another state. I had to go to an ATT corporate store and have a new sim installed and put on my account.

I'm anticipating the need for that, too. Fortunately, there's an AT&T corporate store not far from me. Maybe I'll just go take care of it today.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #214

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
This is currently a better plan than the FMCA plan.

It's the Verizon Prepaid unlimited plan. It's $65 a month, but there is no cap. They may reduce your speeds if there is network congestion, but people are having really good luck with this.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/ Scroll down to Jet pack area.

With the FMCA plan, it's a two year commitment and $50 a month. It's good for 25 GB in a month and after that point they cap you at an unusable 128kb. This is a good plan for email and browsing, but you will quickly use up the 25 GB with any significant amount of streaming. For instance, I streamed the Jack Ryan series on Amazon last fall and during the 8th episode I hit the 15 GB point on my work hotspot and got capped at 600k (the work one has a higher throttle than the FMCA hot spot).

You can eek out a little more time if you make sure to set your resolution low on Netflix, Amazon, Roku, etc., but point is, 25 GB will only be good for fairly limited streaming.
One thing they don't tell you and it is hard to dig up information on is Verizon's coverage for the prepaid plan is not the same as the post paid. We switched our phones to prepaid to save a couple of dollars, but noticed in a couple of places we could no longer get coverage where we used to. One place was in Colorado where we were staying. After numerous phone calls, I was finally told there was nothing wrong with the phone, the prepaid plan did not have all the roaming agreements with the smaller carriers that the post paid plans had. So the coverage was not the same, even though the maps look identical. The coverage was good for the most part, we only noticed the loss of service when we traveled off the interstates and into more isolated places especially in Colorado. We ended up switching back to the post paid plan because of the coverage.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrin99 View Post
One thing they don't tell you and it is hard to dig up information on is Verizon's coverage for the prepaid plan is not the same as the post paid. We switched our phones to prepaid to save a couple of dollars, but noticed in a couple of places we could no longer get coverage where we used to. One place was in Colorado where we were staying. After numerous phone calls, I was finally told there was nothing wrong with the phone, the prepaid plan did not have all the roaming agreements with the smaller carriers that the post paid plans had. So the coverage was not the same, even though the maps look identical. The coverage was good for the most part, we only noticed the loss of service when we traveled off the interstates and into more isolated places especially in Colorado. We ended up switching back to the post paid plan because of the coverage.
The PrePaid Rep did go over this as I asked. If you go of network, it's 20 cents a min (there is a limit and I think you have to be on autopay or have credits). You can disable Roaming so you won't Roam but calls in any direction won't go through (incoming will go to voice mail). I think that setting is off by default.

I don't want to Roam and pay, going to VM would be fine for incoming calls, could also call out with Google Voice and wifi calling assuming LTE data with AT&T or Verizon was available.

The other option in areas without native network would be to immediate call forward your calls to your voice mail/google voice number and just make calls if necessary or for a emergency (which doesn't matter if roaming is on or off).

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
The PrePaid Rep did go over this as I asked. If you go of network, it's 20 cents a min (there is a limit and I think you have to be on autopay or have credits). You can disable Roaming so you won't Roam but calls in any direction won't go through (incoming will go to voice mail). I think that setting is off by default.

I don't want to Roam and pay, going to VM would be fine for incoming calls, could also call out with Google Voice and wifi calling assuming LTE data with AT&T or Verizon was available.

The other option in areas without native network would be to immediate call forward your calls to your voice mail/google voice number and just make calls if necessary or for a emergency (which doesn't matter if roaming is on or off).

I'm not sure if the prepaid phones support WiFi calling like post paid, but if they did and you get a mobley as well, if in a non prepaid roaming area, but still have ATT coverage, then you might be able to use the phone via WiFi calling.

Personally, I think I'm covered, as I have:

Mobley x 2
Verizon FMCA 25GB plan (fake unlimited)
Verizon FMCA 15GB corporate hotpot (throttled to 600k after 15GB)
Verizon Prepaid Unlmited

ATT phone solo on a shared plan that allows 75GB on the phone, and 22GB used as a hotspot, before throttling.

A Verizon phone (purely as backup to main phone if I'm in a park with no ATT coverage), that allows either 15 or 25GB of hot spotting.

As someone that goes out a weekend or two a month, and a few times a year, for a week or two, I think I'm covered, but debating whether I should get a Sprint hotspot or two.

It seems like I collect hotspots, guns and domain names at an uncontrolled rate.

The say acceptance is the first step to recovery....
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #217

Monaco Owners Club
Ordered and received my Mobley. Plugged it in and could connect to the device, but no internet connectivity. Following advice on this forum, I want to the ATT store and suggested I had a mis-matched SIM. IN a couple of minutes the rep., said "yep - wrong SIM. He gave me a new SIM and said I should be good. I took it outside and plugged it into truck.. and It works as it should. Now to see what if anything can be done about it shutting down after XXX time.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #218

time out / voltage fix?

I see a lot of people are suggesting increasing the voltage to 14 D.C. volts will stop the timeout problems. Found this item on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) going to give it a try.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprkbr View Post
I see a lot of people are suggesting increasing the voltage to 14 D.C. volts will stop the timeout problems. Found this item on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) going to give it a try.

Let us know how it works!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #220

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone considered an automated watch winder.. just place the Mobley on the winder and set it to "wind" at less than 2 hour intervals? I see them available for app. $39.00 and I see where someone set it to a 3 hour interval but not ure it can be set to less intervals. ... Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #221

An unregulated transformer style wall wart power supply is a lot simpler if you have AC power as the voltage on them tends to fluctuate enough to keep the Mobley from going to sleep.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #222

Monaco Owners Club
ok, so if movement keeps mobley from shutting down, and someone on this thread earlier said they used a "phone vibrator" to keep mobley alive. It got me to thinking -- I have some old cell phones laying in the drawers. I got one out charged it up and set the alarm to repeat every hour and 50 minutes. Lets see if this works.. simple and no cost -- redneck engineering for sure (if it works!).

I'll watch it for awhile and see if this works and let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190210_141254.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	234637  
Hugmongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
ok, so if movement keeps mobley from shutting down, and someone on this thread earlier said they used a "phone vibrator" to keep mobley alive. It got me to thinking -- I have some old cell phones laying in the drawers. I got one out charged it up and set the alarm to repeat every hour and 50 minutes. Lets see if this works.. simple and no cost -- redneck engineering for sure (if it works!).

I'll watch it for awhile and see if this works and let you know.
Good idea. If the 14v adapter I'm getting soon doesn't do it, may use an old phone as well and try this.

I'll put that phone into airplane mode though.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #224

Monaco Owners Club
I'm pleased to report the phone w rubber band to mobley and alarm set to repeat and on vibrate seems to be working.. It has now been on for 5 hours whereas before, it was timing out at 2 hours. This phone doesn't have a SIM in in it.. so from my perspective doesn't matter if on airplane mode or not -- but you could turn all phone features off if you chose to operate the phone on battery and wanted to extend battery life. In my mind a good use for an old phone.. you can also set the phone up with the "trackview" app (or others) and use the phones camera/mic connected via the Mobley as a remote camera/alarm without cell service... just connect the phone to the Mobley WIFI and you can remote into the phones camera via trackview - trackview can also be set to record on motion and or send notification of motion detection. This might turn out to be a pretty cool solution for an unused phone.