RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Having just sold my first MH since 1989, I was amazed at how many buyers asked and were in-tune to solar.....much better than I was as the seller. Your information is good to know when it comes time for resale of an Entegra.
Every RV we have ever bought I had solar installed. We could go for weeks without starting that noisy gen set. I plan to do the same when we get our new coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmoneySr View Post
I just talked to Entegra and they told me that they installed the solar controllers behind your inverter panel. Cover your panels on the roof to block the sunlight so you can work on your controller and disconnect the leads at the batteries. Install a 40Amp MPPT charge controller for $209.99 from Renogy. Bring the controller to the surface of the panel so you can see your digital read outs. At the same time add two more 100w panels to increase your system to 400w.

I just bought a 2014 Entegra Aspire 44U and about to order my Premium solar panel kit 400w from Renogy. Good luck

https://www.renogy-store.com/MPPT-Ch...p/mppt40cc.htm
Both of my controllers are mounted on the outside surface of the inverter panel. Noel

loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #31

Hi all. I was just wondering, is it possible to add enough batteries (large lithium ions) and solar panels to an Anthem to be able to run everything (ac, frig, aqua hot, etc.) off the solar system. I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, my DW and I are planning to purchase our first coach an Anthem, in about six months. Finding this forum only makes us all the more excited about owning one! Thanks!
tkmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmcdon View Post
Hi all. I was just wondering, is it possible to add enough batteries (large lithium ions) and solar panels to an Anthem to be able to run everything (ac, frig, aqua hot, etc.) off the solar system. I would appreciate your input. Thanks! Oh, by the way, my DW and I are planning to purchase our first coach an Anthem, in about six months. Finding this forum only makes us all the more excited about owning one! Thanks!
I'm afraid with current technology there is not enough roof area for the amount of solar panels required for such an ambitious goal. Air conditioning requires a great deal of electricity.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I'm afraid with current technology there is not enough roof area for the amount of solar panels required for such an ambitious goal. Air conditioning requires a great deal of electricity.
Thank you for the quick response. Too bad it can't be done.
tkmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
OFF-PK-2RNG100D-0004
Premium Solar Kit 200W off grid: 2pc 100W solar panels+ MPPT 20Amp charge controller+ 10' Adapter Kit - MT-5 Tracer Meter - Monocrystalline Panel
$559.98
$559.98
Subtotal:
$559.98
Tax (%):
$0.00
Shipping Cost:
$0.00
Grand Total:
$559.98
OFF-PK-2RNG100D-0004
Premium Solar Kit 200W off grid: 2pc 100W solar panels+ MPPT 20Amp charge controller+ 10' Adapter Kit - MT-5 Tracer Meter - Monocrystalline Panel
$559.98
$559.98
Subtotal:
$559.98
Tax (%):
$0.00
Shipping Cost:
$0.00
Grand Total:
$559.98
4 x Dicor EPDM Rubber Roof Lap Sealant, 10.3 oz, White 501LSW-1
Sold by Mobile Home Solutions
Condition: New

$14.99
Item Subtotal:
$59.96
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Total Before Tax:
$59.96
Order Total:
$59.96
To learn more about ordering, go to Ordering from Amazon.com.

The coach came prewired for solar with two #8 wires at two locations. The total length from the batteries was 30’ for one set and 25’ for the other. The wires run up from the batteries over to overhead the door (location of both controllers) and then ran down the cable chase on the passenger’s side of the coach. With this distance I bought two 20amp MPPT charge controllers to split the total load. If you were to add more than two 100watt panels you would need to increase your wire size to keep the voltage drop between 3-5%.

Total cost for the solar system $1,179.92

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #35

Need More Power!

I'm hoping to buy an Anthem or Cornerstone soon. I was going to get the $2772 200W solar option, but realized that it's way undersized. I follow a blog called gonewiththewynns.com. It's a young couple full-timing in a 32' Monaco Vesta. They have a 480W roof system from GoPower + 120W portable panels for 600W, and they have to live rather carefully to have enough juice: watch this Boondocking

It seems a big part of the problem is they need more batteries, but I feel like a 45' rig and with 6-8 power-hungry bodies in it would need way more than that, like 1000-1200W. I imagine if they can fit 480W on the roof of a 32' Vesta, we might be able to get 800-1000W on a 45' Anthem/Cornerstone, then a few hundred on the ground if necessary.

Questions:
I see the Anthem and Cornerstone have 2800W pure sine inverter and 2000W inverter (?) with eight 6V batteries (the Aspire has a 2800W pure sine inverter, no 2000W inverter, FOUR 6V batteries.
1. This makes the Anthem and Cornerstone all-electric rigs, no propane needed?
2. There are two separate inverters, a 2800W pure sine and a 2000W regular one?
3. We could save about $1500-2000 if we could tie panels and controller into Entegra's pure sine wave inverter rather than buy another PSW inverter. Does that sound possible, or even reasonably simple to do?

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
I'm hoping to buy an Anthem or Cornerstone soon. I was going to get the $2772 200W solar option, but realized that it's way undersized. I follow a blog called gonewiththewynns.com. It's a young couple full-timing in a 32' Monaco Vesta. They have a 480W roof system from GoPower + 120W portable panels for 600W, and they have to live rather carefully to have enough juice: watch this Boondocking

It seems a big part of the problem is they need more batteries, but I feel like a 45' rig and with 6-8 power-hungry bodies in it would need way more than that, like 1000-1200W. I imagine if they can fit 480W on the roof of a 32' Vesta, we might be able to get 800-1000W on a 45' Anthem/Cornerstone, then a few hundred on the ground if necessary.

Questions:
I see the Anthem and Cornerstone have 2800W pure sine inverter and 2000W inverter (?) with eight 6V batteries (the Aspire has a 2800W pure sine inverter, no 2000W inverter, FOUR 6V batteries.
1. This makes the Anthem and Cornerstone all-electric rigs, no propane needed?
2. There are two separate inverters, a 2800W pure sine and a 2000W regular one?
3. We could save about $1500-2000 if we could tie panels and controller into Entegra's pure sine wave inverter rather than buy another PSW inverter. Does that sound possible, or even reasonably simple to do?

David
David:

The Anthem and Cornerstone come with both pure sine wave inverters now.

Solar panels cannot be tied to an inverter, they can only charge battery banks.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #37

Yes and No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Solar panels cannot be tied to an inverter, they can only charge battery banks.
In the US, nearly ever photovoltaic solar system includes an inverter to allow conversion from DC to the 110V AC that most appliances use. The system I mentioned above - the GoPower Solar Extreme System - includes:

480W of panels
3000 watt pure sine wave inverter for AC power - redundant?
30 amp pulse width modulated digital solar controller
75 amp smart battery charger - redundant?
30 amp pre-wired automatic shore power/inverter AC switching kit - redundant?DC inverter install kit - unnecessary?
Inverter Remote on/off - redundant?

- See more at: 600 Watts of Affordable RV Solar Power | Gone With The Wynns

I didn't think this through before I posted earlier. You are correct that the panels won't be connected to the inverter, rather the inverter stays connected to the battery bank. Since the RV already has a massive PSW inverter, battery charger, and shore power/inverter switch, my question should not be can we tie into the inverter, but rather:

Can we tie the panels + solar controller into the Anthem/Cornerstone's battery charger? Do we not need another PSW inverter, battery charger, shore/inverter switch, inverter remote?

That would save a ton of money! Anyone?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just connect the solar controller to the batteries. Use the existing inverter, etc.

Here is a description of my system with block interconnect diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSheetz - Solar Setup for my RV v1.1.pdf (473.7 KB, 45 views)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #39

THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Just connect the solar controller to the batteries. Use the existing inverter, etc.
Vince, this is AMAZING! I'm so glad an expert has joined this thread. Your writeup is SUPER helpful, the diagram clarifies things a lot for me. I still have some questions:
1. You show the solar controller, 120V, and alternator all going into the battery bank; are all the charging sources simultaneously connected, or is there another switch necessary to switch between them?
2. How much more efficient is the point of use inverter vs. the whole coach inverter? How do you measure the efficiency? Seems like a lot more complication to me.

I was budgeting about $7200 for two GoPower Extreme Solar 480W systems, but now I'm thinking that since the equipment included in all-electric coaches obviate much of the expensive equipment (pure sine wave inverter and charger, shore/inverter switch, etc.), all I need are panels and controller, I may be able to max out my roof space and get a LOT more power for a LOT less money! Maybe even be able to run the A/C on solar?

I'm thinking of these panels:
Renogy RNG-300P - 300 Watt Poly Solar Panel | Solar Systems USA

They're 300W and 76.9 x 39.0". Do you think I could fit 8-10 of these monsters on the roof, maybe another 2 on the ground? For crying out loud, 3600W for $2661 (plus S&H, mounting hardware, wire, controller, monitor, etc.)
1. Am I being too optimistic to think I can fit so many on the roof?
2. Can I run the A/C on solar power? The Coleman 15K BTU HP2 uses 2114W, so looks like I need at least 3000W, 3600-4000 might be safer, especially since I'll have 3 units, though hopefully they'll rarely be operating simultaneously. There's always the batteries and generator, I guess. Luckily, the Anthem/Cornerstone have class-leading insulation: floor (R-33), roof (R-24), sidewalls (R-16), front and end caps (R-22).
3. Will the 8 6V glass mat batteries help buffer the A/C use, then recharge when they cycle off? I guess it depends on the onff ratio.
4. I'd like enough solar power to power our daytime needs plus charge depleted batteries (from the previous evening) for that evening.

Thanks again for the really helpful writeup!

David
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
"8-10 of these monsters" might be a stretch....you may want a foot path somewhere up there to walk through and clean the surface of those panels, even if that many would fit on top with 2-3 A/Cs, 1-2 pop up vents, a satellite antenna, an OTA antenna, etc.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
A fellow RV'er pulled next to us in the Grand Tetons. He was towing a Dodge Dakota pickup that the entire back was loaded with solar panels. When he was setup there were solar panels everywhere. I guess if there is a will there is a way.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
"8-10 of these monsters" might be a stretch....you may want a foot path somewhere up there to walk through and clean the surface of those panels, even if that many would fit on top with 2-3 A/Cs, 1-2 pop up vents, a satellite antenna, an OTA antenna, etc.
Good point. Building in a ladder would be helpful too, along with a foot path, to clean the panels. Hopefully if I can get 2400W it will run the A/C along with the batteries, if the cycle ratios work (onff 1:4 at most?). What's your experience in hot climates?

Tags
solar