Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #29

Doesn't a dealer get a grace period in floor plan financing before interest starts? I think it is a few months.

bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I am not trying to be negative at all. I expect the Dealer to make a profit its only right, but the number does give people a place to start negotiating. I gave the number to a dealer I was negotiating with and he agreed that the number was only 1-200 dollars off .
This guru is on the internet and will give you a price of any coach for about 25$. You have to give him the options you want and he will give you the number. I think the information is well worth the money. Hope the info is helpful.
Linda

tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaridge View Post
I am not trying to be negative at all. I expect the Dealer to make a profit its only right, but the number does give people a place to start negotiating. I gave the number to a dealer I was negotiating with and he agreed that the number was only 1-200 dollars off .
This guru is on the internet and will give you a price of any coach for about 25$. You have to give him the options you want and he will give you the number. I think the information is well worth the money. Hope the info is helpful.
Linda
Linda,

Thanks for the information and I don't believe you're being negative at all...it's doing your homework. There are numerous services to obtain what a car dealer pays for cars. This information is simply another negotiating tool when attempting to purchase an RV from multiple dealers.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #32

Just remember that the number may not be the number after all. For example, there may be dealer rebates that come back to the dealer for hitting cerain sales figures or for maintaining a certain inventory or model sales levels. Also there is the rebate from the financing company. Depending on the arrangement with the financing company, that rebate could be as much as three or four percent of the entire loan.

Bottom line comes down to which dealer will shave his margin the thinnest to make the sale. That's what competition is all about.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #33

Ordered Units

A dealer will sell a factory ordered unit for less than a stock unit virtually every time. If the dealer is assured of selling a unit almost as soon as it arrives, his cost of sale is considerably lower.
I have a very good friend who will order a car for $100.00 over cost. Quick turnover lowers the overall "flooring cost" and allows the dealer to stock over $12 million in inventory. He works for a Ford Store.
I agree that knowing the dealer cost for an RV is important as a starting point for negotiations. As stated previously, there are several sources for obtaining dealer cost, among them Consumer Reports. $25 to the "V Guru" to save thousands sounds like a deal to me.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Doesn't a dealer get a grace period in floor plan financing before interest starts? I think it is a few months.
Depends on their lending institution. Don't know if Jayco offers their own floorplan or if the dealers have to work with an outside lender. If it's an outside lender, there is no grace period. If it is a manufacturer's floorplan, they will sometimes offer an interest free period - some are pretty short. I was also told that some dealers mentioned in this discussion have a large enough cash cushion to run net 30. Without specifics on how the dealership operates, I don't think you can assume that they are carrying high flooring costs.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I am talking a cash sale. I finance my loan outside of the dealership. They get a fee for
acquiring a loan. If you have good credit you can shop for the best interest rates and not pay extra for going through a third person i.e.: the dealership. This of course takes more time and research . I know some of you are accountants, I am portfolio manager and
a CFP (certified financial planner) I am always looking for ways to use capital wisely. I would not usually think it a good idea to finance a depreciating asset, but if the interest rate is less than the dividend rate you can get from your investments it might be a good idea. There is risk in any loan and in any investment and it is always wise to know your own rip tolerance. (caveat)
linda
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I meant Risk tolerance.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #37

Quote:
I am talking a cash sale. I finance my loan outside of the dealership. They get a fee for
acquiring a loan. If you have good credit you can shop for the best interest rates and not pay extra for going through a third person i.e.: the dealership. This of course takes more time and research . I know some of you are accountants, I am portfolio manager and
a CFP (certified financial planner) I am always looking for ways to use capital wisely. I would not usually think it a good idea to finance a depreciating asset, but if the interest rate is less than the dividend rate you can get from your investments it might be a good idea. There is risk in any loan and in any investment and it is always wise to know your own rip tolerance. (caveat)
linda

Linda I agree with you except for one small issue. If I can use the rebate as leverage with the dealer then I'll keep the loan long enough that the dealer gets his or her rebate and then pay off the loan. This may be six months or so, but it helps to build goodwill with a dealer and it helps out both the consumer and the dealer.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good thought, but what rebate?
Linda
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Good thought, but what rebate?
Linda

Depending on who the dealer finances the loan with, there is usually a kick back of anywhere around 3 or 4% of the amount financed. If a deal results in the customer financing $400,000, then the dealer can get a kickback of as much as $16,000. If the loan is paid off in less than 6 months, the dealer gets nothing, but if it goes anywhere from six months to a year, the dealer gets his share. It helps to know that the dealer will still be "okay" with what would seem like a little or even no profit deal.

As Sy Syms used to say, "An educated consumer is our best customer." Okay so the RV dealers aren't going to necessarily say that, but it doesn't hurt to know what's on the table.