Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
2013 Entegra Discounts

I see that the 2013 Entegras on dealer lots are advertised at around 25% discount from MSRP. Has anyone gotten any better discounts and would like to share the info.?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

I noticed that on MHS website everything is discounted 25%. Discounts of 30% and more should be available by doing some shopping around.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
MHSRV will do better 'n that. Between them, Orlando RV and "Crazy Days", you should be able to top 30% without a trade.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Colerain RV in Cincinnati, OH offered us right at 30% and we weren't even in the market or ready to start to negotiate. I think more can be had if you shop enough but 30% right off the top is a good jumpoff point.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

A realistic margin on "luxury" motorhomes is close to 40%. There are variables like kickbacks from the manufacturer, rebates from banks for financing, and so on. It all comes down to how much the dealer is willing to shave his margin to make the sale. RVOne does a good job of taking it to the bare bones.

For the other extreme, the Tiffin dealer here in WNY is notorious for offering 10% discounts and not be very willing to deal. He doesn't have to sell many units to make a very handsome profit.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Let me know if you can get 40% on an Entegra - and who gives it to you. I'll be shopping there when we are ready to upgrade.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
A realistic margin on "luxury" motorhomes is close to 40%. There are variables like kickbacks from the manufacturer, rebates from banks for financing, and so on. It all comes down to how much the dealer is willing to shave his margin to make the sale. RVOne does a good job of taking it to the bare bones.

For the other extreme, the Tiffin dealer here in WNY is notorious for offering 10% discounts and not be very willing to deal. He doesn't have to sell many units to make a very handsome profit.

How are you defining margin? If you assume an average recent sales price of an Anthem is $310k...at 40% margin you're suggesting a dealer buy's the coach in the $180k range??? $310k at 40% margin means dealer makes ~$120k/coach. Is that what you're suggesting?
Richard20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Let me know if you can get 40% on an Entegra - and who gives it to you. I'll be shopping there when we are ready to upgrade.
He suggested a dealer makes 40% margin, not 40% off list price. Two very different numbers. I'm quite interested in his reply.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting.
MHSRV - Anthem = $444,191 MSRP +/- dealer cost of $266000 (40% margin - no additional "costs" factored in).

Sells at $310000 = 14% margin. Again, no additional costs factored in.

Is this what is being implied? Just asking.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I've read from other posters who purport to absolutely know, that the cost of Anthem to dealer is $287.500. I don't know that you can get an Anthem at $310K today.Prices were in that range last fall. No one says what they actually paid. I just know that when I discussed what I paid with a senior Entegra, they responded that it was a very good price.

That said, and if all are telling the truth as they know it, competitive forces seem to price the Anthem at 28-31% below MSRP. On the other hand, what is MSRP...as some have pointed out, that is what is recommended by the manufacturer. JMHO, if you can get an Anthem for $310K after the Oct 2012 price increases, jump on it. You're getting a good price and if the dealer margin is 14%, all I can say...I once got my backside reamed by a senior executive in one of my previous lives who reminded me that we weren't in the business of giving ourselves away, " ... gross profit margin needs to be at least 13%..."

Think about it...if corporate taxes are in tjhe 30-50% bracket, that doesn't leave much margin for the company and shareholders. And, Entegra service response says they use that profit margin to good cause.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #11

I guess I'm confusing things by using accounting terms. The dealer may be paying the manufacturer close to 60% of the MSRP. However, the dealer still has to cover all of his overhead, carrying costs, commissions, dealer prep, delivery, and more. It is quite likely that the dealer will be paying the manufacturer less than $300,000 on a unit that is MSRP listed at $450,000. When you see quoted prices of list less 25% on a regular basis, it is pretty safe to assume that the dealer will come off that number. Now the question becomes one of how much more in costs has the dealer incurred to get the rig to his or her store, how much to get it ready to go out the door, and what other costs is the dealer incurring.

I am NOT implying that you will be able to walk into a dealership and offer the dealer 60% of the MSRP and have the dealer accept that amount. What I am saying is that there is a fair amount of margin that any dealer has to work with. They can shave that amount fairly thin or they can say that their costs aren't being sufficiently covered and there is not an adequate profit margin in the deal to make the sale. Don't assume that the dealer will not drop below 25% because they can and will go below that number. Will they go all the way to 35% or more? Unlikely, but you never know when you may be able to catch the hungry dealer.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Let me first say that I was making basic assumptions on the 310k price. We paid more than that for our Entegra, but I've read claims that some paid less. So I used what I suspected to be a low average for that example. But my overall point is the 40% margin claims don't seem to make sense...at least not to me. I feel like I'm calling that individual a liar and that is MOST CERTAINLY NOT MY INTENT.

I own a couple of companies and numbers are vital...especially with the new tax hikes. They are trying to eliminate the small business owner. As my blood pressure is skyrocketing now I should not change the topic or risk offending those who like the current administration. I just wanted to better understand the numbers.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I guess I'm confusing things by using accounting terms. The dealer may be paying the manufacturer close to 60% of the MSRP. However, the dealer still has to cover all of his overhead, carrying costs, commissions, dealer prep, delivery, and more. It is quite likely that the dealer will be paying the manufacturer less than $300,000 on a unit that is MSRP listed at $450,000. When you see quoted prices of list less 25% on a regular basis, it is pretty safe to assume that the dealer will come off that number. Now the question becomes one of how much more in costs has the dealer incurred to get the rig to his or her store, how much to get it ready to go out the door, and what other costs is the dealer incurring.

I am NOT implying that you will be able to walk into a dealership and offer the dealer 60% of the MSRP and have the dealer accept that amount. What I am saying is that there is a fair amount of margin that any dealer has to work with. They can shave that amount fairly thin or they can say that their costs aren't being sufficiently covered and there is not an adequate profit margin in the deal to make the sale. Don't assume that the dealer will not drop below 25% because they can and will go below that number. Will they go all the way to 35% or more? Unlikely, but you never know when you may be able to catch the hungry dealer.
Thank you for your clarification. Again, my intent was not to say your comments were untruthful...I just wanted to understand how you were defining margin. My accountants and I look at margin differently than how you described it above. But your comments makes the statement more clear.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #14

Richard, no offense was taken. Sometimes, particularly now in tax season, we tend to talk in accountantese and what we call one thing means something entirely different to someone else. That's one of the reasons the tax code is such a mess!