Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #1

2013 Orange Peel

After being pointed out by another person, it seems my 2013 Aspire has a poor paint job. The lower section on both sides suffers from severe orange peel. I actually thought it was a finish to prevent nicks. You can clearly see the difference in shine. As I explored more, the more evident it becomes that this orange peel is around windows too.

Not only that, I small piece of pain flaked off a cargo door when it touched a patio chair. The paint seems thin.

I am not happy with this type of craftsmanship on our new coach. It never should have passed an inspection at the paint shop, or when Entegra gave it a once over. I should have been more in tune to this when I picked it up.

A $270K coach should not have this major finish problem.

I understand a new coach will have problems, but a terrible paint job? Not acceptable.

There is also over spray on the rubber area by the side radiator and on the front tire.

I am in contact with Entegra at the present time. They want pictures, but I am unable to provide them while we are on vacation.

Disgusted
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

Sorry to be so dumb, but, what is orange peel? This is disturbing that you are having paint problems as Precision Paint has the best reputation in the industry. However, they are being pushed very hard to keep up and PERHAPS are being too hurried and/or not taking the time and effort that they are know for. I have faith that Entegra will get to the bottom of this and will make your coach right. I know, that will take time and take away for its availability for you to enjoy and that should not have happened, BUT, that can not be helped now and the main thing is to get it right AND to get the process back on track so that others (myself included as we have one on order) do not have to go through what you are dealing with right now. Good luck and keep us posted on what is happening.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

I was at the Entegra factory this morning and they are aware of the problem and seem to have narrowed the issue down to the clear coat. Based on what they said to us today they are working on the problem and expect to have a resolution soon.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Sorry to be so dumb, but, what is orange peel?
No such thing as dumb question... Orange peel paint has the same texture as the orange peel surface. Can't really be fixed without sanding again I don't think.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

We have quite a bit of orange peel too. Mostly around the windows and close to trim and on the panel around thethe front tires. We also have a spot that looks like the paint is ripped from the inside out. We had our Travel Supreme painted at precision and it also didn't look this bad. As production has been increased, I believe QC has suffered. In the factory and at paint. Still a remarkable product with great customer service, but quality is lacking in a few areas. Not as bad as other manufacturers, but still an issue to deal with.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Thanks, interesting. I knew Entegra would be all over it and get to the bottom of it, now to get it all fixed and makes sure it does not get to the consumer again.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Lack of quality control, both at Precision Painting and Entegra. Precision Painting topcoated it this way, they saw it.

Entegra must have inspected it when received from the paint shop

Unfortunately the owner (me) has to be put out to correct theses errors.

I have better things to do in my life than to spend my time to correct this unacceptable finishing, that SHOULD HAVE been caught at least twice at the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Thanks, interesting. I knew Entegra would be all over it and get to the bottom of it, now to get it all fixed and makes sure it does not get to the consumer again.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #8

This is/was my biggest fear with Entegra, they were building a great coach, but as production amped up would quality start to go down.....I am seeing a few units that look no better then a Tiffin.... Yes that bad.... That is starting to worry me.... I was set to order a new Entegra but I might have to keep looking
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #9

Since this thread started and after we received our coach, we have inspected the paint closely and it looks pretty slick,however, we will continue to check it thoroughly. Our trade in is a 2011 Tiffin bus,so we have not been exposed to the quality Entegra owners expect, so maybe we need to check a little closer.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
It will be interesting to hear what they determine the cause to be. Orange peel is usually caused by equipment problems like a gun nozzle or not adequate spray pressure. It could also be ambient temperatures causing it to dry too quickly. They can be color sanded and buffed depending on the thickness of the paint. In any case final inspection should have caught it.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
It will be interesting to hear what they determine the cause to be. Orange peel is usually caused by equipment problems like a gun nozzle or not adequate spray pressure. It could also be ambient temperatures causing it to dry too quickly. They can be color sanded and buffed depending on the thickness of the paint. In any case final inspection should have caught it.
X2
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't put on Entegra's upscaled production. Precision has been painting these coaches for a long time and should know the drill. Like anything else, a screw-up can happen. But....if it's really that bad, SOMEONE should have caught this before the owner took possession.

Everyone seems to think Precision is the best, but, personally, I'm not that enthralled with their work. Good, but not any better than others' work.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #13

Bob and Robert, I agree totally with both of you. When I was at the factory I went over to Precision and quite frankly was concerned about the quantity of work they were doing. They were WAY behind and no one wants to loose business sooooooo many times quality can suffer. On to Entegra, they sure should have caught this and sent it back to precision but they are 9 months behind also. As much as they want to make sure of the quality of coaches, it appears that some one got in too big of a hurry to get the coaches out the door and to the dealers. I still have confidence that Entegra will get this fixed and do so promptly.
Bob, I have always thought that Precision was overrated and overpriced. They do a good but certainly not fantastic job and it is not rocket science. There are plenty of shops that can do quality paint jobs out there. The main advantage with Precision for me is their exclusive use of Sikkens paint and with all the new federal regs in the last few years even that is not what it once was by a long shot. All just my opinion.

PS-- Not to be a smart a@# but I really do not have a lot of interest in what the cause is or what they find. I DO HAVE A LOT OF INTEREST that they find it, fix it, and put a process in place that will insure that it does not go undected by quality control again. Entegra seems committed to the idea that THEY, NOT THE CUSTOMER, is responsible for quality control and as such I am sure that they will fix this.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Right-on, Gene. ....BTW....that sure was a great Fillet I had last night at Mickeys in Bricktown!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote