Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

2016 Anthem - kitchen sink clogged beyond ptrap

We started with sluggish drain and now it’s a full out clog. We’re fulltime so likely 3 yrs of grease, etc. Any suggestions for clearing it out? All other drains are running fine. I tried baking soda, vinegar, boiling hot water and even a drain bladder. I think it moved the clog, but not enough. Even Happy Camper didn’t move it enough. Should I get an auger or is there a product that would be safe to pour into drain.
patallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patallee View Post
We started with sluggish drain and now it’s a full out clog. We’re fulltime so likely 3 yrs of grease, etc. Any suggestions for clearing it out? All other drains are running fine. I tried baking soda, vinegar, boiling hot water and even a drain bladder. I think it moved the clog, but not enough. Even Happy Camper didn’t move it enough. Should I get an auger or is there a product that would be safe to pour into drain.
I've had good results with this product from Lowes. Used it on a S&B drain and it cleared it within an hour.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drano-Comme...leaner/3384828
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Interesting that the manufacturer’s marketing language demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension of its own product. Drano is sodium hydroxide—not chlorine. Electrolysis of salt water results in chlorine and sodium hydroxide — two very different molecules.
If you put this in your grey tank be careful when dumping that tank. Sodium hydroxide in the eyes will ruin your future.
GrandPaPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I wouldn't look at a Drano type product ... maybe do (not boiling); but very hot water, hotter than you can get from the facet and do it many times, that might work.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Probably sounds strange, but I just read a large bottle of coke was really good. Pour it in and let set overnight.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

By the sounds of it you have forced the clog downstream of the 'P' trap

Place large container under sink
Remove the drain assembly (lines/'P' trap)
Then snake the drain line down to grey tank

Reassemble and then do sink fulls of HOT water

Are you sure it is a drain issue and not a venting issue?
We FTd for 7 yrs and never clogged up the kitchen drain because of grease.....shower due to hair but not the sink
Do you have 2 grey tanks.....one for bathroom sink/shower and then a GALLEY tank for kitchen sink?
Does the tank drain OK.......solid full stream when draining or in GULPS.?

Just hard to imagine Kitchen sink drain becoming clogged.........
Wipe the plates/pans with paper towel then wash. Stop/limit grease/food debris from going down sink in the future
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Not sure what floor plan you have so plumbing may differ. On an RBQ with the sink/dish washer on the passenger side the plumbing transitions from the slide to the sub floor at the rear of the slide. It is visible in the gap at the rear of the slide from the inside.

Take the bottom drawer in the cabinets out and look at the bundle of plumbing and wiring routed underneath the drawer. It curves under the drawer and slides back and forth when the slide goes in or out. You will see the larger waste drain line which is a wire reinforced plastic flexible hose. The bundle can also snag on the edge of the slide subfloor so I added a "ramp" made of plastic from an antifreeze jug to prevent it from snagging and making the kink worse.

The way the cabinets are built and the hoses routed the whole bundle is put into a serious bind when the slide is full in. The bundle has to make a hard turn around the end of the cabinet visible when the drawer is out. On our coach and two others I have looked at the waste line is seriously kinked and/or partially collapsed by being bent so severely when the slide is in. I also trimmed away part of the cabinet edge out of sight so the bundle does not make such a sharp turn when the slide is in.

That may be the location of the clog. Not that it helps you get rid or it but at least you know what sort of pipe (plastic flexible) you are dealing with when trying to snake it or whatever.

I think I would work from the sink P trap and use a garden hose or some such hose to slide down the drain line and use the higher flow/pressure to flush away the clog. Sounds like a potential for a mess, too. Seal the transition from the garden hose to the waste line with duct tape or something temporarily. That's my fall back plan when ours clogs. Knowing it is kinked we are very careful with what goes down that drain line.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem on my prior coach. Tried all the chemicals, even a small diameter snake. Nothing worked. Finally I got a small plunger, filled the drain with water, and got vigorous with the plunger. It moved the plug and cleared the drain.

In 12 years of full timing I’ve had to do that twice. Both times the plunger was the only thing that worked.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
By the sounds of it you have forced the clog downstream of the 'P' trap

Place large container under sink
Remove the drain assembly (lines/'P' trap)
Then snake the drain line down to grey tank

Reassemble and then do sink fulls of HOT water

Are you sure it is a drain issue and not a venting issue?
We FTd for 7 yrs and never clogged up the kitchen drain because of grease.....shower due to hair but not the sink
Do you have 2 grey tanks.....one for bathroom sink/shower and then a GALLEY tank for kitchen sink?
Does the tank drain OK.......solid full stream when draining or in GULPS.?

Just hard to imagine Kitchen sink drain becoming clogged.........
Wipe the plates/pans with paper towel then wash. Stop/limit grease/food debris from going down sink in the future

I have mesh traps in both kitchen sink drains. (Two sides to sink) and pour grease in garbage and wipe plates. I’ve added some Green Gobbler drain product. The sink drains slowly and periodically “burps”. I’m thinking tomorrow I’ll pick up an auger.
patallee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem