Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2016 Cornerstone Exhaust Tip TSB Problem

Anyone having an issue with the "new" exhaust tip installed with the "Exhaust TSB", # 16-043? (2016-2017 Cornerstone & Anthem)

After our PDI at Entegra where this new exhaust tip was installed, Cummins local shop reports a "Fault Code" they attribute to the oval shape of the exhaust tip constricting air flow, creating back pressure and "high exhaust temp".

The TSB is intended to correct "heat damage to the mudflap"... we didn't have any but the TSB was installed anyway (my surprise). Now will cost us about $235 to replace the TSB tip with a new "original" from Spartan... Entegra says that's my problem...
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by High2 View Post
Anyone having an issue with the "new" exhaust tip installed with the "Exhaust TSB", # 16-043? (2016-2017 Cornerstone & Anthem)

After our PDI at Entegra where this new exhaust tip was installed, Cummins local shop reports a "Fault Code" they attribute to the oval shape of the exhaust tip constricting air flow, creating back pressure and "high exhaust temp".

The TSB is intended to correct "heat damage to the mudflap"... we didn't have any but the TSB was installed anyway (my surprise). Now will cost us about $235 to replace the TSB tip with a new "original" from Spartan... Entegra says that's my problem...
NICE, I just had mine replaced after it fell off and scorched the back of the coach. Today is literally DAY ONE of the new tip.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mine was replaced too during the PDI. So far haven't seen any codes and it hasn't fallen off. I did notice that it discolored a bit due to heat, which didn't happen on the old round tip. Although the round tip did get a few dings in the bottom from hit the road on driveway approaches. At least the oval one doesn't do that.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
NICE, I just had mine replaced after it fell off and scorched the back of the coach. Today is literally DAY ONE of the new tip.
And i thought i was the only lucky one to have a tip just fall off.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Mine was missing at delivery from the factory!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
500 miles on new tip and no problems on the Anthem, but the Cornerstone puts out much more exhaust.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Mine was missing at delivery from the factory!
Installer must have run out of bubble gun toward the end of the day.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I actually think is is two different metals and expanding and contracting at diff temps hence the "fall off"
Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

A friend of mine 16 Anthem exhaust fell off so Joyce sent oval one. He refused to use it so Spartan sdnt him a round one under warranty. I'm not sure if left hand knows....
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Mine fell off too on the way to the factory for the pdi a few weeks ago. They installed the new flap and tip. No faults or other problems on the 2500 miles back home.
Dave.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #11

I still have the original tip. It used to get loose every trip, but I kept tightening the clamp and it has stayed tight for the last 10k miles. I think the problem stems from the tip not not sliding over the pipe. Instead they butted it up to the pipe and then band clamped it.

Does the new oval tip slide over the pipe?
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #12
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Instead they butted it up to the pipe and then band clamped it.Seriously???
Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

That's the way much of the exhaust systems are. The band clamp has bolts that draw down on two half-moon shaped pieces that pull the clamp tight. It's actually better than the old U-bolt style clamps because it's non-destructive and doesn't crimp that pipes, making it hard or impossible to remove without damage. These clamps also can adapt different diameters to each other. However, if someone puts them on and doesn't tighten them enough they can work loose. The best bet is to check the bolt torque after a while and retighten them if necessary. Miner are still tight after 3K miles and 2 months after they swapped my tailpipe extension to the new style during my 2 year PDI. Judging by the gap on the clamp retaining bar there is still room to tighten them even farther if the need should ever arise. Just one more item on my maintenance checklist.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #14

If you guys aren't already doing so, maybe try retorquing the bolts after the pipe gets hot. My expierence has been that cold torqued bolts tend to stretch a bit after they get hot.