Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2017 and Rand McNally - New Issue

Just spent 2 weeks at Camp Entegra for various issues. They did correct many of the mechanical issues, but we have not made out so well on the electrical / electronic ones.

After leaving I now have an issue with the GPS. What is happening is that the commands, turn info in particular, are coming .2 of a mile late ( in other words after I pass the turn ) and the split screen showing the lane guidance for the turn is staying on the screen for almost the next mile. This delay results in missing the next turn, especially if you have to make a couple of turns in quick succession.

What is particularly disappointing is that the GPS was actually working quite well with the new SD card and the side panel removed. Service was only to put a vent in the side panel so it could be closed up. To be fair to service one other issue was to fixed the audio from the rear camera and in troubleshooting the audio issue they replaced the module that has the SD card port with a new one and that is when the problem started. I did request that they put the old one back as that did not fix the problem, but they said that when they updated the SD card all was good. My bad, as I should have been a bit more insistent.

Anyway, has anyone had the problem with delayed turn info and what was done to resolve the issue.

Frustrated, but enjoying the new Anthem and our first RV more than I ever imagined ( at least when it is parked and not needing navigation )

tks

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Jim

Go directly to the company (which my memory now fails me completely) that designs and makes the Rand McNally system (its like the name is SpringCreek or something like that)(someone on here will give you the number). It sounds to me like the problem is in the RM itself. You may need to put the SD card in your own computer and update/download the software from the RM-Dock program. On one version I downloaded, I only heard the last half of any instruction and things got screwey at times.... a new software download fixed that.

I think this other vendor is going to be better at solving your problem than Entegra will be. Entegra has great mechanical techs, but they admit that most of them know very little about sophisticated electronics. Also, I don't know how you are equipped, but Dee and I ALWAYS have 2 different GPSs running in our coach, all the time. The auxilliary is a Garmin Nuvi or whatever the current strongly rated GPS is (sells for about $120) and Dee runs her Gamin and I program the RM. Just got back from Middlebury and there were several places where the RM was best and the Nuvi "nuts" but another one or two circumstances that the Garmin was "right" and the RM was wrong, delayed, or giving the opposite of "right" turns (lots of new road and interchange construction and one will be right and one wrong on the proper path). We find that we do best when we have 2 GPSs running and talk the differences between us. By the way, nice to meet you guys up in Middlebury. Hope SpringCreek or whatever that company name is is able to help you. They are very good at fixing things.

Gary and Dee
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #3

The name is River park in Elkhart.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

My system ended up being replaced by River Park a couple weeks after being "fixed" at my PDI in July. Definitely contact them they were very helpful and interested in the problems I was having.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, just as a suggestion until the RM is straighten out. The Classics were also having problems with the "new" RM and the updates way back when. Before my coach arrived I purchased a $100. Garmin backup just in case. My RM has worked fine, but I still use the Garmin to double check the routes and for the 22,000 POI's I have preloaded. Several of the RV parks we want to stay at are not the in the RM, but are in the added POI's in the Garmin. The Garman turned out to be a good purchase for me.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Gary and you are spot on. We do have the Garvin RV760 and that is saving our butts. Bought it originally for the Toad, but it now stays in the RV most of the time.

Called Entegra CS and they are having River Park call. We will see how that goes ;-)

I guess the moral of my story is to not fix what is not broken....

Jim
Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
During my visit to Entegra last month, River park was doing any and all fixes on the GPS system, doing a firmware update and providing a new sim card. Don't know about the venting of the system. So working with Entegra on this is the same as working with River Park.

As to RM, I can remember not too far back when everyone screamed to get rid of the then GPS and put the latest and greatest RM into the coaches. JMHO, there will always be a new "greatest" GPS system. Now it seems to be Garmin. Morale to the story...use two and preview your route before leaving in the morning. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Our Cornerstone is at the dealer to fix the GPS as I type. I have only GPS signal for 5% of the time, so I don't know if I have the delayed screen.
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #9

Our last coach had an in-dash GPS that was hopeless.

This one seems a bit more accurate, but frankly I won't trust it either.

Ordinarily, for navigation I will do a quick run through over an unknown route with the Trucker Path app. If I find anything hinky, or that looks like spaghetti, I fly over that section with Google Earth to pick up problem areas.

Once underway, I'm pretty springloaded to stop or divert around anything I see at the last minute.

Transiting busy urban interchanges, I really prefer to have my DW up front reading the road signs and plotting lane changes, more of a long view. I'm busy watching the traffic and managing the necessary lane changes.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote