Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

2017 Anthem Checklist

We are upgrading{hopefully?) our 05 CC and trading for a 17 Anthem 44b with 16K on the clock. What are the issues to look for other than the normal for used coaches? Looks like Aqua Hot could be an issue but other than that not seeing a lot of posts. Got burned on our CC because we didn't know to check radiators.
mag150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

Welcome (hopefully) to the Entegra club.

Some things to be aware of:

Spartan has/had an issue with radiators for the ISL9-450 (Aspire and Anthem) until Nov. 2017 (unverified), when they made some changes to the design of the radiator. I believe they changed adhesives used to mate the radiator components.

This leak is typically visible after cooling, and ordinarily doesn’t result in a massive leak either while running or when off. In our case, the evidence was a small puddle on the garage floor.

Spartan was very good once I made enough noise.

On some Anthems, they require a retorquing of the fasteners on the “Torque box” in the rear axle assembly. This is identified by a mysterious knocking that occurs while turning.

The ‘17 is the 2nd from latest gen Anthem, and as such gained VegaTouch in 2017. Do some research here to become acquainted with those specific issues. In short, I believe in 2017 they did have some teething pains, and many members have determined solutions for the known issues.

In 2017, Entegra went with (4) Discover L16 AGM batteries mounted mid-ship. While the large frame size of these forklift batteries is ample, the quality of Discover batteries in general have been questioned.

At upwards of 3 years old, I’d ask for a professional to test the individual batteries.

I would also suggest having an independent tire expert examine each tire for evidence of damage or premature failure. Buying a coach with a set of tires that need attention is a great way to spend $6-7000.

There is a very well known recall on side marker lights. You can research that here, but realize that the recall as initially presented did more harm than good. Therefore, if your coach doesn’t have this specific recall performed, ask for guidance before insisting upon its completion.

If you’re concerned about the history of maintenance, ask that the engine oil and fuel filters be serviced. That the Aquahot be professionally serviced. And that the Air Dryer be serviced. A full chassis lube is also very important.

There are some other bits that require attention at this year’s maintenance, but those can be addressed down the road.

I hope this coach passes muster, and welcome to the group.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Matt’s list is pretty good. And I’d second making sure the radiator was either changed or it’s at the top of your list to keep an eye on. We had ours replaced just over a year ago along with the surge tank. Verify that the neck of the surge tank has no rust, if it does, this should be changed.. If you change the radiator and the surge tank, push for NEW radiator fluid at this time. I did and got it and am glad I did.

Another item that you’ll want to verify is that the ball joints have been checked for the recall. Our coach was done last year and things were good....

Many have also complained about the clothes washing machine. Ours eventually died and was replaced under warranty. Another item to verify and check thoroughly.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Thanks guys, great info that will be very helpfull!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

FYI, Paul is a bit partial to ‘17 Anthems and he’s done some cool stuff to his.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
FYI, Paul is a bit partial to ‘17 Anthems and he’s done some cool stuff to his.

-Matt
Thanks Matt, appreciate it and I would hope others would chime in who own similar coaches. I also hope we didn’t scare him away from buying the Anthem after he read our responses.

The bride and I also though of you as we blasted through Houston a few weeks back. Would have texted, but we were on a tight schedule to get to hill country.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

Thanks again for info- we have already committed to buying this coach when its back from FL. Made some mistakes when we bought our CC and don't want to repeat them, just be able to address them before finalizing deal. I was surprised by the cost of replacement radiators only being $1500, CC quoted me $5000 last year. I found it elsewhere for $4K including CAC.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Not sure of cost since ours was done under warranty, but I’m sure you’ll see responses to it.

If the rad. has not been replaced I’d have a pressure test performed. Check the surge tank while your at it.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag150 View Post
Thanks again for info- we have already committed to buying this coach when its back from FL. Made some mistakes when we bought our CC and don't want to repeat them, just be able to address them before finalizing deal. I was surprised by the cost of replacement radiators only being $1500, CC quoted me $5000 last year. I found it elsewhere for $4K including CAC.
A new Entegra radiator with out Spartan warranty and labor has been reported at $4,800. You can call Spartan with the last 8 numbers of the VIN, they can tell you if the radiator is the new style or has been replaced.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem