Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerwing View Post
There is some misleading information on this thread. You CAN get insurance for the coach. If you are concerned about the plywood moisture content, buy an inexpensive moisture meter on the web. If it is in excess of 2.5%, walk away. If not, you are probably good.

Fresh water damage in Louisiana, most is brackish or sea water. Where in LA? With this in mind, there is reason for concern in the long term. Intergranular corrosion and corrosion in between the welded joints will be the issue. This is where the corrosion will be unnoticeable. The rig needs a good "flee dip" to neutralize the salt penetration with a base substance such as low percentage solution of backing soda.

Value - generally speaking, the value is 2/3 of low book. Electronics damage? Be concerned about the harness connections, at the point where the crimp on connectors are. Just like the chassis, the corrosion will be most evident here in the future. When - not readily apparent, but it will bite you in 12 to 18 months as it corrodes with moisture in the air and in travels. You can buy contact cleaner and then coat it with some type of protection to retard the progress.

How do I know? I have rebuilt coaches for the past 8 years, not one has come back for a single issue. We replaced the connectors when they went for a dip. I would want to see the waterline level to evaluate the rig. This is a hobby, not a profession. More will be coming out of the Houston area soon. Those will have a higher probability of corrosion damage. It is a beautiful coach, but if it was a hose down, you are going to get hosed unless you do a very through inspection. Move cautiously. There are better buys to surface soon.

None of that matters... it has a salvage title...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The same coach can be bought for almost the same price with a good title and warranty. It's not something I would chance unless it was a lot lower in price. But that is just me.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...45J-5000260322
I agree. Smarter choices with full remaining warranties available on RV Trader and RVOnline.com
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...45B-5000247016
RunawayFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #17

assuming that you could buy back the coach from the insurer, for 'next to nothing', will depend on what the insurance company regards 'next to nothing' as... I can only imagine that it's not the 'next to nothing' you are assuming.

...and, on a second note, the finance company would not allow someone to 'buy back' a salvaged/totalled vehicle - that would no meet their underwriting requirement for the value of the loan collateral. Sure, someone who paid 'cash' could, but why would someone who paid cash for a mansion on wheels then turn around and want a 'project' to spend money and time on?

These units are typically total losses from dealerships suffering from flood losses, where their insurer has totalled the vehicles, and then sold them to a salvage yard for future auction, or to a specialty buyer who is in the business of renovating these types of losses.

I own a 'rebuilt' title on my personal tow vehicle - it was in a 'total loss' collision, where the main costs were replacement of body panels - no drivetrain or front end work was needed. The insurance company sold the 'salvage' vehicle to Copart(salvage yard), which then ran it thru a car auction where it was purchased by this specialty shop, who does nothing but this type of work to resale 'total loss' vehicle, as then 'rebuilt' titles, since they have them inspected by the state. I've towed this vehicle over 15,000 miles, and driven it another 7,000 miles with no issues, and don't suspect I'll have any.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
assuming that you could buy back the coach from the insurer, for 'next to nothing', will depend on what the insurance company regards 'next to nothing' as... I can only imagine that it's not the 'next to nothing' you are assuming.
The point is, it is on the open market with a junk title. If it was such a "good deal" why didn't the original owner keep it? Doesn't make any difference as I am not a buyer, but I have purchased my own totaled out for "next to noting" Just my personal experience.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I always walk when salvage title is mentioned.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #20

Value on a high dollar vehicle with a salvaged title is anywhere from 50-60% of what a non salvaged unit sales for. If you are paying any more than that you are crazy. When you go to resale that is where you are going to have to be in price to get any interest. Good luck on any kind of financing, I know any bank I've ever used won't loan on anything with a salvaged title.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The point is, it is on the open market with a junk title. If it was such a "good deal" why didn't the original owner keep it? Doesn't make any difference as I am not a buyer, but I have purchased my own totaled out for "next to noting" Just my personal experience.
I drove through this area after the flood. Dixie RV is in Hammond, LA and it was an extreme rain/storm that flooded the area. They took the insurance money and did not want the headache of selling these RVs...
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #22

IFs > Then...

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.

Allow me to put forth the following scenario and question regarding this Cornerstone with a salvage title:

IFs (a lot of them)
1…this is going to be the only RV one ever owns as a full-timer with no plans to resell (give it to the kids at the end)
2…the basement drywall tests okay by a certified inspector,
3…the coach gets a good “flea dip” to address the inter granular corrosion,
4…the electronics check out to be fully operational and connectors are replaced after “flea bath”
5…paying cash (no financing),
6…can insure and license in our state with a salvage title

Question
1. At what price do you feel this salvage might be a “okay deal”?

Some tell us “run away” at the mention of the word “salvage”. Other say, “do your homework first and don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. Salvage CAN be a good buy under the right circumstance.” We have not made up our minds, just getting educated.

Thanks again!
RovingDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnjen View Post
That one is just a few blocks from my work...been curious, how it really looks down below..looks like he bought a couple of flooded RVs, to re sell
Has your curiosity be piqued enough to take a look at it?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingDesign View Post
Has your curiosity be piqued enough to take a look at it?
I may stop by and look...I already have a new coach..so that's all I would be doing..
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Dixie RV was SWAMPED - no pun intended....
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/08/ep...rv-superstore/
That is where our camping buddies have their's serviced but thankfully didn't have it there (or maybe it would have been better if they wanted a new one )

Dixie RV took the insurance money and saved themselves a lot of headaches !

previous thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/floo...na-303936.html
Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #26

The seller has this coach listed still for $335,000
Why would you not make an offer on one real similar and not far off from that price?

Remember... these are over inflated motor homes.
Seeing a coach at 399k and offering 339k cash is not that un achievable
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #27

I am not sure what it would take to interest me in this kind of deal but agree it would have to be WAY cheaper than this is listed. I would think it should be under $200 k to take tehe depreciation, limited resale markets and RISKS associated with flood water. Apparently water Eason and over parts of the driveline and electronics including some of the DEF systems. Potential big trouble and dollars here. RUN don't walk away. All JMHO
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
The seller has this coach listed still for $335,000
Why would you not make an offer on one real similar and not far off from that price?

Remember... these are over inflated motor homes.
Seeing a coach at 399k and offering 339k cash is not that un achievable
Interesting! Are you saying a $339k cash offer for a USED coach listed at $399k?

We see "new" 2017 Cornerstones listed for $435k to $450k. How well would a cash offer "talk" with dealers listing them at that price? What is a realistic range for closing a cash deal for a 45B?

We appreciate the education and input from everyone.