RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

2018 Aspire Air bags deflate when jacks are up

I tried to search this topic but found no avail.
My 2018 Aspire's air bags deflate when the coach is sitting in the back yard for several days but the jacks are not down. I first noticed that my air gauge for the front bags would drop to 65 lbs when the coach sits for a day ( jacks up). I called Spartan and they say the acceptable range for that gauge to drop is 55 lbs. I guess 65+55 puts the front bags in range.
But, I have never noticed both front and back bags deflate completely when the coach sits and the jacks are not down.
Is this normal or do I have a situation?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
I tried to search this topic but found no avail.
My 2018 Aspire's air bags deflate when the coach is sitting in the back yard for several days but the jacks are not down. I first noticed that my air gauge for the front bags would drop to 65 lbs when the coach sits for a day ( jacks up). I called Spartan and they say the acceptable range for that gauge to drop is 55 lbs. I guess 65+55 puts the front bags in range.
But, I have never noticed both front and back bags deflate completely when the coach sits and the jacks are not down.
Is this normal or do I have a situation?
If your gauges are wired properly the front air gauge is for all your air bags (front and rear) not just the front bags. Having said that all air systems have a certain amount of leaks. Some leak faster than others. The front suspension deflating after several days indicates a leak up front somewhere (air bag itself, ride height valve, air line, fitting etc). This will not be a large leak and even with a soapy water solution it could be difficult to track down and unless you do it yourself could be very expensive having a shop do it.

Spartan gave me what they consider an acceptable leak rate for the system as seen on either air gauge which is a loss of 50 psi in 12 hours.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

I should have said that my front bag gauge was at 65 lbs and the rear gauge was at the normal level.
I normally put the jacks down when parked in the back yard so having the chassis lower is normal. This time, I left the jacks up and the entire chassis ( air bag deflated?) is down in the same lowered position as when I put the jacks down. I just have never seen the entire chassis down when the jacks were up. I just went in after a week, the front bag gauge said 65 lbs and had a red light on( low air). The rear gauge read the normal lbs. I started the coach, put it on high idle and waited a few minutes. The front bag eventually went to normal lbs and the coach raised up to travel level.
I just want to know if the lowering of the whole chassis is normal when the coach sits a few days or more, even with the jacks up.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
I should have said that my front bag gauge was at 65 lbs and the rear gauge was at the normal level.
I normally put the jacks down when parked in the back yard so having the chassis lower is normal. This time, I left the jacks up and the entire chassis ( air bag deflated?) is down in the same lowered position as when I put the jacks down. I just have never seen the entire chassis down when the jacks were up. I just went in after a week, the front bag gauge said 65 lbs and had a red light on( low air). The rear gauge read the normal lbs. I started the coach, put it on high idle and waited a few minutes. The front bag eventually went to normal lbs and the coach raised up to travel level.
I just want to know if the lowering of the whole chassis is normal when the coach sits a few days or more, even with the jacks up.
Short answer yes. The faster it goes down the larger leak you have. No chassis is perfect eventually the suspension will loose air and deflate.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
When our Aspire sat for a few days the rear airbags completely deflated; the fronts stayed at ride height. It got looked at today and there is a slight leak at the rear dump valves. I am trying to get a shop to replace it. Spartan says the can do it in less than a day. Now all we need is an appointment so we can get down to see "The Mouse"!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our Aspire leaks over time, as you described as well. After a few days, the front lowers more than the back. Local shop also told me, that it's within tolerance. Just make sure your front tires are straight so you don't damage your finders.

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

My Anthem sits for weeks with no deflation. Or at least not noticeable to my eyes
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #8

2018 Aspire Air bags deflate when jacks are up

I would also say this is normal... my anthem does this... I first worried too but was told the same thing by spartan.. seems to me they all leak to some degree.. my front way faster than my rear. About a day itís dropping... now when itís dropping when youíre driving then worry about it...
Did have this happen and it was one of the little valves leaking..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #9

Completely normal behavior.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
My Anthem sits for weeks with no deflation. Or at least not noticeable to my eyes
Then 19 does as well, the 14 was down in about 4 days. I stored on the jacks to keep the weight off the suspension.
Am sure the 19 will start the normal slow leaks with use, but at assemble it is one of the few perfect ones I have owned. Still at ride height (digital dash) after more than a week. It probably won't last long, but nice now.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #11

We also have an '18 Aspire and have noticed a slight drop in air bag pressure when the coach sits for a period of time. I don't see it as being a major area of concern.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Where are you folks seeing an air bag pressure reading? There is no such air bag pressure gauge on an Entegra coach unless someone has installed one after the fact.
The two gauges on the dash indicate the air pressure in a dual air brake system thus front and rear for front brakes and rear brakes not front and rear bags. The air suspension gets itís supply air from the front system and all other air operate accessories like the pocket door locks, entry door air lock.
The rear brakes have a dedicated air supply source as indicated by the gauge marked rear.
The dual airbrake system has been a safety requirement for years. Your car has a dual system also, just hydraulic.

As you can see the reason why you see the front gauge fluctuates more, there is more going on with it.

Iím sorry but if we are going to operate these air brake vehicles that weigh north of 40k we should know how the air brake system works otherwise how do we know if we have pending failure.
See this link for more.
Richard
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/cdl_htm/sec5
Gasman 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Where are you folks seeing an air bag pressure reading? There is no such air bag pressure gauge on an Entegra coach unless someone has installed one after the fact.
The two gauges on the dash indicate the air pressure in a dual air brake system thus front and rear for front brakes and rear brakes not front and rear bags. The air suspension gets itís supply air from the front system and all other air operate accessories like the pocket door locks, entry door air lock.
The rear brakes have a dedicated air supply source as indicated by the gauge marked rear.
The dual airbrake system has been a safety requirement for years. Your car has a dual system also, just hydraulic.

As you can see the reason why you see the front gauge fluctuates more, there is more going on with it.

Iím sorry but if we are going to operate these air brake vehicles that weigh north of 40k we should know how the air brake system works otherwise how do we know if we have pending failure.
See this link for more.
Richard
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/cdl_htm/sec5
Richard,

For the most part I think that is what is being said. I agree there is no direct gauge for any air bags BUT if the suspension has a leak then it is repleshished via the front air tank which does have a gauge and once the tank can no longer keep the suspension inflated then that gauge will show a significant decrease in pressure.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
We have a Ď16 Aspire that is on itís fourth set of front air bags due to leaks. Spartan tried a different pair of bags this time, and they had to fabricate new mounts for them. We sure hope the fix takes this time! We also had a leak in the rear which was repaired at Entegra, if I remember correctly. Then, at Spartan, they discovered the people who installed our tow system tapped into the rear air, which is a big No No. also, just so you know, our front gauge dropped to 65 within an hour or less of parking. Weíd get the low air alarm. It wasnít normal. ďThatís normal,Ē or ďItís working at specs,Ē those words give us a twitch...you know, like Martinís efforts give Dreyfus in The Pink Panther (2006). LOL

AbuelaLoca2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, jacks