RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #1

2019 Anthem 44F Overweight

I have a new 2019 Anthem 44F that is overweight on the front axle, and almost overweight on the tag. We are wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue with there coach. Here are the specifics:

Front Pass. 8540 Front Dr. 8680
Drive Pass. 8180 Drive Dr. 8880
Tag Pass 5500 Tag Dr. 6080

the fuel tanks was within 10 gallons of being full, the water tank was 84%, the gray tank was at 50% and the black tank was at 25%. We put water in the black and gray tanks so we could simulate an average in the load when we travel as we do some dry camping. We had approx. 600Lbs. of gear spread pretty evenly throughout the coach. My wife and I were in the front seats which adds about 400lbs. There was no food in the coach as we had just loaded it with a small amount of our stuff. The gear we put in it was just a small amount of what we need to put in it as that's all we had room for in our GMC Canyon pickup when we picked it up at NIRVC Atlanta. We need to be able to carry about 3000lbs of cargo but with those weights we don't think that will be possible.
Anyone out there with weight problems on there 2019 Anthem 44F? If so what did you do to remedy the issue. Any help would be appreciated. I have talked to Entegra and have been waiting for a solution going on 3 weeks now. We bought this coach because we are thinking of going full time and needed more storage. It has more storage area for sure, but what good is it if it can't handle the weight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

Lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if this will help, or if I"m on the right track, but I remember reading where someone on this site, had an adjustment made to the tag axle (air system was putting too much air to the tag). Kinda made sense to me, sense the drive axle would be the pivot point. Too much air to the TAG would equate to more pressure on the front axle. Following and very interested in the solution.

Cheers!

HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

The max weights on this Coach are as follows:
(2020 model year)
Front axle 20,000#
Drive axle 20,000#
Tag axle 12,000#

So lím not seeing the problem. Ride height may be out somewhat loading Tag and Steer axles a little heavy.
Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

I think if you search this site you will find others with overweight front axles. Ours is one, although our tag axle weights are fine. We are also loaded for full time. See this link. Heavy front axle
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolar01 View Post
(2020 model year)
Front axle 20,000#
Drive axle 20,000#
Tag axle 12,000#

So lím not seeing the problem. Ride height may be out somewhat loading Tag and Steer axles a little heavy.
Larry

Your looking at the 2020 anthem. The 2019 Anthem had a max weight of 17000lbs on the front axle. That's the problem.
Lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
(2020 model year)
Front axle 20,000#
Drive axle 20,000#
Tag axle 12,000#

Larry
Heís asking about a 19 that has the 17K front axle.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
(2020 model year)
Front axle 20,000#
Drive axle 20,000#
Tag axle 12,000#

Larry
Only problem is his is a 2019 which still has the 17000 front axle.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #8

Looks like three of us posted same thing at same time.

Have Entegra put the 20000lb front axle under it. Iím pretty sure that Newmar had to go back and put heavier front axles under some of theirs a couple years ago.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #9

Ouch, didnít think there was a change 2019 to 2020 thatís why I listed where the numbers came from. Then the ride height may need adjusting to shift weight to the drive axles.
Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Looks like three of us posted same thing at same time.

Have Entegra put the 20000lb front axle under it. Iím pretty sure that Newmar had to go back and put heavier front axles under some of theirs a couple years ago.
Newmar did that with our '02 Dutch Star. Front axle was a 12,000# unit but was 12,050 if I filled the fuel and propane tanks before we loaded anything or even got ourselves in. They installed a 14,700# axle and I later installed larger tires. No problems in the next 11 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman View Post
I have a new 2019 Anthem 44F that is overweight on the front axle, and almost overweight on the tag. We are wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue with there coach. Here are the specifics:

Front Pass. 8540 Front Dr. 8680
Drive Pass. 8180 Drive Dr. 8880
Tag Pass 5500 Tag Dr. 6080

the fuel tanks was within 10 gallons of being full, the water tank was 84%, the gray tank was at 50% and the black tank was at 25%. We put water in the black and gray tanks so we could simulate an average in the load when we travel as we do some dry camping. We had approx. 600Lbs. of gear spread pretty evenly throughout the coach. My wife and I were in the front seats which adds about 400lbs. There was no food in the coach as we had just loaded it with a small amount of our stuff. The gear we put in it was just a small amount of what we need to put in it as that's all we had room for in our GMC Canyon pickup when we picked it up at NIRVC Atlanta. We need to be able to carry about 3000lbs of cargo but with those weights we don't think that will be possible.
Anyone out there with weight problems on there 2019 Anthem 44F? If so what did you do to remedy the issue. Any help would be appreciated. I have talked to Entegra and have been waiting for a solution going on 3 weeks now. We bought this coach because we are thinking of going full time and needed more storage. It has more storage area for sure, but what good is it if it can't handle the weight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon
Jon,

Your weights are almost exactly plus or minus a few hundred pounds what mine are under the same conditions. Except my black and grey thanks were empty.

I am running 125 PSI in front and 85 in all the rear tires. On the tire chart it works. My guess is that is why the 2020s have the bigger axle and the bigger tires. I am in Middlebury now and will head to Spartan when we leave here. I will ask the same questions here and at Spartan.

We are full timers.

Gary S.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
JMO. First, I'd get it weighed at a truck scale, which will be axles only and compare that with the 4 corner weight. Make sure the coach is on the scale correctly to get each axle separate, not the rear bridge weight.

If still heavy, call Ted Cook personally at Entegra. He will probably be at a dealership, but ask that he gets the message. He was one of the original design engineers going back to Travel Supreme. He knows the coaches inside out and backwards. He works VERY close with Spartan and is the National Sales Manager for your dealer NIRVC so you did buy the coach indirectly from him. If there is a problem, he will be the person to get it resolved, You couldn't have a better person to work on the problem if there is one.

Thankfully you are located in the backyard of the Spartan factory if any factory adjustments are required.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
This won't change the overall problem, but I have to wonder about your water and waste tank levels. The standard way to weigh is with water tank full and waste tanks empty. This is because as the waste tanks fill up, most of those gallons come from the water tank, leaving the total fluid weight nearly unchanged.

As an aside, my last coach was several hundred pounds overweight in front when loaded, but still within the rating of the tires. I adjusted the tires for the actual weight and drove the coach for ten years with never a problem.

I know you don't want to hear this with a new coach, but I don't think a few hundred pounds over makes much difference, as it is usually less than 3% of the rated weight. A suspension component that performs well at its rated weight of 8500 pounds is unlikely to break down at 8650.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Jon,

Having been in your position recently I feel your pain. What is happening with your coach is the pressure to the tag axle suspension is too high putting too much weight on it as well as the front axle. My tag axle suspension was at 100 psi and the weight on it was 11,000 lbs. Yours is much higher so the pressure in your tag suspension is at 100 psi or higher. My solution (which I did myself) was to add an adjustable pressure regulator to the tag axle suspension set at 60psi to lower the weight on it as well as bringing the weight on the front axle down from 17,120 lbs to 16,620 lbs. Sure, 120 lbs or 500 lbs is not over by a large percentage BUT the fact that a limit was being exceeded did not sit right with me.

When you talk to Entegra they will most likely talk in circles as they did with us over 2 years ago during our PDI and for the most part not give a satisfactory answer.

When you talk with Spartan they will most likely tell you the pressure to the tag axle suspension is a fixed value which is not adjustable (true) and that Entegra is building too heavy of a coach especially on the front end. They will suggest that you talk to Entegra about putting a pressure regulator on the tag axle as they did with us. This is all in line with the stories we were told over the years. Now once the ball is back in Entegraís court and you ask for the pressure regulator on the tag axle they will tell you that it will affect the drive line angle and probably refuse to do it. This statement was relayed by an irv2 member here several years ago who also had a heavy front axle. According to Spartan there is no effect of adjusting the tag axle pressure on drive line angle.

Other than changing out your front axle for the 20,000 lb 2020 Anthem model your best bet may be an adjustable pressure regulator.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem, weight