Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

44SL diesel fume smell

Hi
Does anyone else have a problem with a diesel fume smell in the rear bedroom while traveling? We have been having major issues with horrible diesel fumes back there.
Thanks,
Krissy
Momof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
With a "def" assisted engine you shouldn't smell diesel fumes ever! Are you running the Aquahot or generator (both do have a diesel smell)? But to answer your question, no we don't ever smell diesel in the bedroom.
Have you checked for fuel leaks? I would encourage you to have it checked out immediately!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

We had a raw diesel smell that produced headaches our first trip from TX to CA and back. After warranty work in Middlebury we took it to Spartan in Charlotte for fuel tank removal and vent change. They said that the fuel lines had not cured. Smell has all but gone away. Good luck.....
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

We investigated after the last 11 hour drive and we discovered three issues:

We discovered:
1. the washer spill pan drains into the rear engine compartment. Access #1 for the diesel engine fumes we have been experiencing. (this is the clear hose that we duct taped over on the side of the road last evening)
2. the dryer vent also spills into the rear engine compartment. Access #2 for the diesel engine fumes...
3. while investigating in the engine compartment we discovered the silver A/C duct tape was falling off. We could see the cedar wood of the master bedroom closet. Access #3 for the diesel engine fumes.

We took care of items 1&2 but didn't have the supplies for #3 and are currently on our way home and still experiencing the diesel fume smell.

I just turned the aqua hot diesel burner off to see if that suggestion helps (our generator is not on)

These are all on my punch list item for Entegra.

Krissy
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

I think you may have found a MAJOR drawback to the washer and dryer being moved to the rear closet that no one had previously discovered. That vent and pan should be rerouted by Entegra immediately. I KNOW that they follow this thread so.......HEY ENTEGRA GUYS, THIS NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED IMMEDIATELY, AS IN BEFORE MY COACH LEAVES THE FACTORY. Seriously, that is an engineering mistake likely made by an engineer who has not traveled in an rv. Even if you were not getting the diesel smell through those sources, you do NOT want all that engine heat, noise and pollutants coming into the coach from the engine compartment. The seal to the access to the engine compartment on my Anthem is one of the best on the market and a great improvement over my Travel Supreme, hate to see them spoil that with a path to the washer and dryer. I had just assumed that they were still venting the dryer to the outside. I can understand the desire to get rid of that noise making flap on the outside of the coach at the dryer vent but curing one problem may have created a bigger one. All just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Shutting off the aqua hot didn't make any difference in the smell in the bedroom. Upon close inspection my husband and our very mechanically inclined friend both feel that the rear engine compartment on our coach could definitely be better insulated. If the smell in our bedroom isn't coming from the washer and dryer vents (we sealed them up) then where is it coming from? I guess a call to Spartan is on my agenda for tomorrow morning, as maybe we have the issue
Maybe we have the same problem that bullheaded has...
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
X2 for me and X3,4, and 5 for those of us who play on this forum often and are picking coaches up that will be built starting in mid-Nov.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

Krissy,

Please keep us informed of the problem and the solution w/ this issue. Per Gene's comment; I suspect Entegra will be all over this one.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure what they're doing these days, but my '07 Spartan K-2 chassis had an issue where the exhaust pipe came out of the turbo. It would break at the flange, allowing diesel fumes to enter the BR above. Spartan sent me a fix package, consistine of some flex pipe which allowed for movement of the pipe without shearing off at this juncture.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #10

Not familiar with your coach or its age, but I would also suggest you look over the various exhaust system connetions for loose clamps, bolts/nuts, etc. I would also look carefully at the exhaust manifold for any tell-tale signs of cracks/leakage. When these large coaches move down the road, there is an incredible amount of turbulence around the engine compartment and under the coach. If you have a side-mount radiator, just let your engine idle sometime with the cooling fan rotating and raise your bed....you'll get a better idea of what I am saying. Now, imagine it at 60+ mph.

I did have a similiar problem on our coach. Raising the back engine access cover (ours has a side-mount radiator) revealed numerous seams, junctures and panels that could easily allow fumes to enter the coach, especially with the original factory tapes and sealants deteriorating somewhat from age. I seemed to have solved our problem by systematically cleaning and resealing all of these things with high quality tapes. I paid particular attention to the area in the right rear of the coach since that is where the exhaust pipe exits. I am happy to say that this year, we no longer seem to have any noticeable diesel fumes back there. I just wish I could say the same about some of the heat that remains after a long ride.

Good luck, and please let us know how you improve the situation. This should be of interest to a lot of us....thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #11

Any resolution to fumes? Any other input.........
TgovSr is offline   Reply With Quote