Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I would use #4 wire for that long of a run . Although #6 would work , You still have the length of the cord on the motorhome which will further add to the voltage drop. An A/C unit will draw at least 4 times its running amps to start , so a 15,000 BTU unit will require about 50+ amps to start . If your AC voltage is a little on the low side , it will drop even more when starting the air conditioner.
Wow, my 15000 BTU AC starts and I only have 30 amp service.

I think the start capacitor is there to assist in that higher amp startup draw.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For anyone needing 30 A from a 50 A outlet there are several adapters available including one from Amazon for $13.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Reference, please.

All documents I can find for a 15K RV a/c show numbers in the range of 14-18 amps on start up.
Official Reference...........I've been a Journeyman Electrician since 1980, and yes, it will start at the Locked Rotor Current Rating. An example of that is the Brisk II A/C unit in my Toy Hauler....
Full Load current for the compressor, not including the fan....12.4 amps
Locked Rotor Current.....68 amps

Fan Full Load Rating.....2.5 amps
Fan Locked Rotor....5.8 amps

So for a short time......milli-seconds, almost 74 amps

And this is for a 13.5K BTU A/C unit.....the 15K BTU units will be slightly higher.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:35 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sure that there are transients that go very high. When a compressor starts, in effect the rotor is stationary which is equivalent to "locked." However, millisecond events don't trigger breakers and are not at all involved in wire size calculations. Arc welders are allowed to have undersized cabling based on duty factor and over-sized breakers and that isn't milliseconds it's 25 or 30 minutes per hour. Use the table values...this is not a transient exercise.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Not to question to much but most coaches(our last 4 included) have 3 15k ac units ,our coaches only have 100 amp service at most but all three will start and run at the same time(by your estimate that would be minimum 150 amps) .our current motorhome has three 15k btu heat pumps each on a 20 amp breaker .would that not be 60 amps max draw ?

Starting an induction motor (compressor) can require from 3 to 7 times the running current , depending on the motor design. The 150 amps will occur at startup . This high current draw is only for a few miliseconds so a breaker or fuse will not trip. Circuit breakers are designed to handle this startup surge. That is why you will see 120v lights dim or flicker when the A/C units start.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #20

When I did mine, I used alluminum SER cable. "SER" = Service Entrance. Stuff generally used to run from the meter to a trailer or mobile home. Bought it online, cheap as hell. Lowes and home depot generally stock it in our area.

I used 2-2-2-4 to run from the house box through the crawlspace to a new 100 amp subpanel in the garage, then 4-4-4-6 up, over, and down across the garage to a 50 amp box from lowes.

I like this alluminum SER cable a lot. It's light, easy to bend, dooesn't need to be in any kind of conduit. It's not rated for underground though. And yes, I check the tightness of all the terminal periodically.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
When I did mine, I used alluminum SER cable. "SER" = Service Entrance. Stuff generally used to run from the meter to a trailer or mobile home. Bought it online, cheap as hell. Lowes and home depot generally stock it in our area.

I used 2-2-2-4 to run from the house box through the crawlspace to a new 100 amp subpanel in the garage, then 4-4-4-6 up, over, and down across the garage to a 50 amp box from lowes.

I like this alluminum SER cable a lot. It's light, easy to bend, dooesn't need to be in any kind of conduit. It's not rated for underground though. And yes, I check the tightness of all the terminal periodically.
Hmmm, First of all, check local codes,most will not allow aluminum wiring for residential sub panels. If you are using 2-2-2-4, your OCP should be 80a at your main panel. 100A panel would require 1/0 Al to meet the ampacity @60c rating.(My disclaimer) Depends on the jurisdiction having authority!!
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote