Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I don't leave home without WAZE running on one of the devices. It is the prefect comparison to the RM routing which has always worked perfect for us. With the live traffic updates with detours is outstanding. I am one that is not afraid to get off the Interstate and follow a Google detour. All detours have been perfect and saved a lot of time stuck on a closed Interstate. Real time road hazard and vehicle on side of road warnings give us ample time to make safe lane changes. I would be more excited if WAZE was my built in GPS.

I look at GPS's as a Ford/Chevy thing, most people like one or the other, I have both. One thing I really like with the RM is I never hear "recalculating" anymore
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
I liked using WAZE as our backup except for one thing...I could never turn it off. I'm sure it was operator error but if I wanted to exit the program during the trip, I couldn't get it to shut off. It would minimize but it was always running. With Google I can move in and out of the program when I want just by closing it. So tell me...how do you exit it out of WAZE? I was running it on an iPad if that makes a difference.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Yep! iPad, that's the problem.
Linda, on the Android there is a disable function in the menu. It kind of took me by surprise when I first started using it also. The only advantage over Google Maps is the road hazard warnings, which is what I use it for. It's great knowing about a road gator 1/4 mile before I get there.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Talking strictly about GPS, there's no bigger fan of Garmin than I am including their marine gear, I was using their automotive GPS before it even had routing (GPSmap) and before GPS was demilitarized.

Much later I had a Kenwood unit with Garmin GPS in one of our cars and it was great except there were issues with the map upgrade process - it was either very expensive, or not available and required a lot of hacking effort not to mention massive (4GB) data downloads. Don't know if that's still true with the newer units. You might want to look into that.

However, in todays connected world, IMO the dedicated off-line database oriented GPS like Garmin and RM just can't hold a candle anymore to online mapping tools like Google Maps.

Sure I have a dedicated backup GPS just in case (a Garmin), but Maps on my phone is the goto device every time. It's WAY faster, WAY more up to date (both roads and POI's), has WAY more accurate crowd sourced traffic info (near real time), has WAY more advanced satellite, topography and Streetview display options and it's WAY cheaper - like free. Plus I never need to upgrade it, it just happens automatically. Data usage is minimal and for most with unlimited data plans doesn't matter anyway. Map data can be downloaded for areas with spotty coverage or weak service and the route manager seems to handle this seamlessly most of the time anyway. Routing is WAY, WAY superior to the RM and at least equal if not better than Garmin.

The only con is lack of support (currently) for large vehicles so you do need to watch out for routes that might take you down less than desirable roads for big rigs (which you should do with ANY GPS).

It will run on almost any device and chances are you can cast the video from your device to the front TV if you want to see it there.

So I guess what I'm saying is get yourself a slick entertainment unit and if it has GPS that's great, it can be your backup, but check out the online mapping solutions too.

I agree with Voltdoc. I was a Garmin GPS fan for many years. My kids made fun of me because I used my Garmin GPS while they were all using their phones for navigation. They kept telling me the phone was much better. I finally tried Google Maps and was impressed. I soon retired my Garmins. I have been using the Rand McNally GPS/Xcite unit now for just over 5 years. I keep it updated constantly. I also run Google Maps on my tablet which is mounted on the dash. I originally only used Google Maps for traffic and relied on the RM for navigation. I soon found out the RM routing was not always the best and the maps on Google were much more up to date. Lots of times the RM took me on a longer route for no reason. I soon began to use the Google Maps routing as primary navigation and the RM as backup. Google Maps is not perfect by any means and I always check my truckers atlas when I am in unfamiliar territory. I have come to rely on the Google Maps traffic information everywhere I go for up to the minute traffic. Even at home when traveling to a familiar place on familiar roads, I use it. It has kept me from being stuck in a traffic jam many times. I replaced my radio in my Jeep with a Pioneer radio that has Android Auto and I like it even better. It integrates your navigations, phone calls, messaging, etc into an easy to use, voice activated interface. When I replace my Xcite unit, it will definately be with something that has Android Auto.
jherrin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
So tell me...how do you exit it out of WAZE? I was running it on an iPad if that makes a difference.
You exit out of Waze the same way you exit any app on an iPad: double click the home button, then all the open apps become icons on the screen. Swipe the desired app’s icon up and off the screen and the app is closed. The whole process takes 3-5 seconds.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You exit out of Waze the same way you exit any app on an iPad: double click the home button, then all the open apps become icons on the screen. Swipe the desired app’s icon up and off the screen and the app is closed. The whole process takes 3-5 seconds.

The other apps that I'm running give me an exit or log off option. Never thought about using that method to close any app. Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
If by "entertainment screen" you mean dash entertainment unit then no, as far as I know Bluetooth currently is not capable of carrying video, only audio.

However, I believe you should have an HDMI Jack in the dash that would let you send your phone screen (mapping, Netflix, photos, whatever) to the in dash screen via a HDMI cable and a type C USB to HDMI adapter like this: QGeeM USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K Cable, USB Type-C to HDMI Adapter [Thunderbolt 3 Compatible] MacBook Pro 2018/2017, Samsung Galaxy S9/S8, Surface Book 2, Dell XPS 13/15, Pixelbook More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JW7GT7H..._tyAvDbXGW1VX5

Note that the above adapter won't supply power to the phone which would be problematic on a long trip, but this one will so is probably a better choice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8N845Q...p_mob_ap_share

CAVEAT EMPTOR: I have not tested this and may be misinterpreting the purpose of the HDMI jack in the dash. I'll check it out in a few days next time I am on the coach and post back.

OTOH, if by "entertainment screen" you mean the TV above the dash, you can use the same HDMI adapters linked above and display your S10 on the big screen. That requires plugging an HDMI cable into the back of the TV.

To do it wirelessly, assuming your TV is a Samsung Smart TV you can wirelessly "cast" or "mirror" your S10 screen to the TV. I do it with my Galaxy Note 8 to any of our TV's aboard. The possible gotcha with this method is you may need a full time wifi network on board, not necessarily an internet connection, just an access point that's on all the time. Here's an article about how to do that: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tom...w-4663-14.html
OK, so today I tested the HDMI Jack in the dash and the HDMI is indeed an input to the Riverpark in-dash unit. I was able to display my phone screen (Samsung Note 8) on the in dash display with a USB type C to HDMI cable. It was plug and play. I personally probably wouldn't use this as the Samsung TV directly above provides a much larger image for my old eyes, but just FYI it works. I made a quick video of the process so if anyone needs to see that let me know.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
OK, so today I tested the HDMI Jack in the dash and the HDMI is indeed an input to the Riverpark in-dash unit. I was able to display my phone screen (Samsung Note 8) on the in dash display with a USB type C to HDMI cable. It was plug and play. I personally probably wouldn't use this as the Samsung TV directly above provides a much larger image for my old eyes, but just FYI it works. I made a quick video of the process so if anyone needs to see that let me know.
Someone asked for the video, it's not very exciting but roughly demonstrates how I displayed my phone screen on the in dash display. Not very usable for anything IMO on the 7" screens but maybe better on the 10" screens of newer Entegras. Also, adjusting your video settings on the phone may help fill the screen better.

Also I would suggest for anyone intending to use the dash unit or TV for displaying navigation or other long term video via an HDMI adapter, that they use an adapter different than the one I show in the video, one that also allows powering the phone simultaneously while sending video, such as the unit I have linked previously in this thread.

https://youtu.be/qqn6iUugDao
Old 08-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #23

Most wouldn't consider doing this but I am very happy with the results. Since I have the internet always on option (using the ATT $23.00 unlimited service aka Mobley) I decided to install an Android radio. I got the 10" model. So now I use Pandora for my music and both google maps and waze for GPS. Everything works as expected. My phone connects to it via bluetooth, it mirrors my phone screen and I can download any android app from the play store. Oh, and I paid $125.00 for the unit. It's a bit of a job wiring it up but I was able to do it in about 2 hours. I also replaced the camera display with what I think is a much better unit. Forest River will provide the necessary cables for $50.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
Most wouldn't consider doing this but I am very happy with the results. Since I have the internet always on option (using the ATT $23.00 unlimited service aka Mobley) I decided to install an Android radio. I got the 10" model. So now I use Pandora for my music and both google maps and waze for GPS. Everything works as expected. My phone connects to it via bluetooth, it mirrors my phone screen and I can download any android app from the play store. Oh, and I paid $125.00 for the unit. It's a bit of a job wiring it up but I was able to do it in about 2 hours. I also replaced the camera display with what I think is a much better unit. Forest River will provide the necessary cables for $50.
Sounds great! Did you replace the dash display or mount it somewhere else? Which brand/model did you use?

Tags
radio