Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
A bit scared - towing

Well, I've made the appointment to get our Anthem set up with the Air Force One braking system, base plate, tow bar, etc. .... to tow our Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 down. I have never towed anything before ... and once you add the Ram to the 45 feet of the Anthem ... that makes for a pretty long vehicle. Tell me I have nothing to worry about ... please ... it can be done, and done safely ... I'm not going to screw up our beautiful coach or my DH's Ram ... right? Any words of advice other than take it slow?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have the airforce one on my current rig along with blue ox, for the past three years. I'm towing a Chevy Equinox. I've never had a problem and don't even realize I'm towing a car behind. The only thing you need to remember is you can't back up with the car attached. I've backed up maybe just a few feet, but that's about all you can manage. For example when I go through the gate at storage sometimes I misjudge the entrance and need to back up a foot to make it. However anything more than that you'll need to disconnect.
garyhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Sounds like your doing everything right.
I'd make a check list so you don't do something like leaving it in gear or the steering locked. Also don't back up.
You'll do fine.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suggest a check list.
On that list you need to have:
RAM xfer case in neutral
RAM parking break off
Safety chains connected (and crossed)
Tow light cable connected.
AF1 air hose connected.
Break-away cable connected.
Steering wheel unlocked (this does not apply if you have "Keyless Ignition").

Always drive 10-20ft after hookup and go back to check the arms are locked...and all the connections are good.

Make sure you have a indicator light which shows AF1 brake activation (dash light is best).

Finally, just remember the length...about three garage lengths..:>)

Dan
Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a 2007 Silverado for years with no issues to speak of.

"Take it slow" is the best advice of all.

Have a checklist for hooking up and setting up the truck - Oh, and USE it! (Speaking from experience)

When passing use the camera and be sure to be well past the vehicle you are going around. The depth of field can be confusing.

When we begin to move, one of us watches to be sure wheels are all turning and if possible so is the steering wheel. We've seen a couple folks pull away with the brakes still on, but they caught it right away.

If you run over a stump in a narrow Canadian CG, you might mess up the running board on the truck I hear....... Probably best not to do that.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhz View Post
I have the airforce one on my current rig along with blue ox, for the past three years. I'm towing a Chevy Equinox. I've never had a problem and don't even realize I'm towing a car behind. The only thing you need to remember is you can't back up with the car attached. I've backed up maybe just a few feet, but that's about all you can manage. For example when I go through the gate at storage sometimes I misjudge the entrance and need to back up a foot to make it. However anything more than that you'll need to disconnect.
Forgot that - X2. At least we've not tested that one (yet)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Well, I've made the appointment to get our Anthem set up with the Air Force One braking system, base plate, tow bar, etc. .... to tow our Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 down. I have never towed anything before ... and once you add the Ram to the 45 feet of the Anthem ... that makes for a pretty long vehicle. Tell me I have nothing to worry about ... please ... it can be done, and done safely ... I'm not going to screw up our beautiful coach or my DH's Ram ... right? Any words of advice other than take it slow?
Lynn, I also tow a Dodge Ram. When turning corners remember the pickup will turn outside the mh track. Be careful until you get use to it or you can pull the pickup over curbs etc. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Lynn, I also tow a Dodge Ram. When turning corners remember the pickup will turn outside the mh track. Be careful until you get use to it or you can pull the pickup over curbs etc. Noel
Ditto

When I make 90 deg right turns, like in city streets or a campground, I go real slow and mainly watch my inside mirror to see if I'm going to drag my toad into a sign or fire hydrant.

I would think towing your Ram PU will be very steady. Even though you are getting a braking system installed be conservative on braking distances untill you get the hang if it.

Rmember to always scope out the turns you are about to make as once you are comitted, you can't back a toad up using the towbar.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We just set up our F150 Crew cab for towing as our 1st tow vehicle. It is a strange sensation the 1st few times you make a turn and see that other car tailgating you in the mirror.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #11

Lynn, who are you using to install the Air force one system?
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
X2 we tow a Ram 1500 quad as well behind a 45 ft coach loisjop's remarks are spot on.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Dan and Lynn,

I have the same truck as you do. I also have the SMI AFO. It is very easy to switch the transfer case to neutral. You do not need to remove any fuses. The final two steps to setting neutral is put the shifter in PARK and remove the KEY from the ignition. Pull ahead several feet, have your spouse watch the truck wheels to make sure they are turning.
Make sure you spray the air connectors on the coach and the truck with silicone spray every now and then, keep them clean. Mine were dirty and did not seat tight and one fell off while driving, had to buy new hose.
I have pulled the truck with a Polaris RZR in the truck bed for over 23K miles in the last year and a half with no problems.
Make sure your tow package is a 10,000 lb setup. Your truck is heavy.
I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain system. 10,000 lbs pull.
You will be fine.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #14

Make sure you put the air recycle on your a/c. So you truck won't smell like rubber inside.
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing