Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

A/C Dash upgrade available?

Hello all - I tried searching on this topic and drew a blank. I'm in the process of getting my Entegra and hopefully this winter will land me the one I want =). In the meantime, I've been reading on this forum and there's such great info so a big thank you.

My question is that I understand the front dash (and analog - Ford style old school A/C knobs) comes from the chassis - but can you upgrade those??

It doesn't match the beauty of these rigs and really there's some wasted real estate in that side console anyway. For those that either know who makes an upgrade or if you have photos, I'd appreciate it. If there's downsides, those opinions are welcome also.

Thanks again!
Paul
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Don't know about upgrading, but mine are very easy to use-right in plain sight. Unlike the controls in my old Meridian which were impossible to see while in the driver's seat.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I'm assuming you are thinking electronic controls. If that is the case, sorry, but there is nothing. Evans Tempcon is who builds the dash unit and they don't have electronic controls available although much of the existing "analog" of which you speak is digital. The water valve and louver controls are digital. If you are speaking of digital controlled read outs like in automotive, the only advantage would be if you could dial up a temperature. (I.E., set it at 70 and go) That is not possible in any motorhome because of the cubic feet of air to condition, so using simple controls (generally people prefer the tactile feel) is the prefered approach. Who knows what tomorrow brings!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Hmmm....the air controls on my dash are digital....if I need more air flow, I just reach over with a digit or two and open that baby up, redirect, etc! Heck, it's all digital....
:-)

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
2013 Aspire DEQ
Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

Hmm, thanks for the responses. I do find it a bit out of place considering that the coach has a great look to most instrument dials and displays. The cockpit looks like a million bucks and the dash air controls look identical to renting a 19' UHaul. For those that say they prefer it....I call bologna!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

Well........,,the 2016s are upgraded controls!! ............they have added 2 LEDs so you know when they are on!😃😃. Actually, until this thread I had never given those controls a second thought. They get the job done and work great AND in this day and age it is amazing that they do not use the fancier controls but with a 45 ft. Cab I don't see how they could use the automatic systems to measure temps and then vary the fan speeds and air temp at the vents. I am thinking to do that you would need to abandon dash air and go to strictly whole coach bus air systems and those are very bulky and expensive. All JMHO

2016 Cornerstone 45B
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems and 2015 Cornerstone
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 11-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I never gave it much through. My Toyota truck has turn knobs of the A/C, but the DW's Lexus has push button controls with digital readouts. Are there any MH's that have digital controls? I don't recalling see one at any of the RV shows.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
These controls, like so many other things on our coaches, are designed for trucks. Hence they are not fancy. But they do the job very well and since they are on millions of trucks, have been thoroughly debugged. I would rather have that than something fancy that may be unreliable or work poorly.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
These controls, like so many other things on our coaches, are designed for trucks. Hence they are not fancy. But they do the job very well and since they are on millions of trucks, have been thoroughly debugged. I would rather have that than something fancy that may be unreliable or work poorly.
I like them not being fancy, half the time in the DW Lexus, I can't find the controls to make the digital temp control work, too many buttons. With the MH it's real easy to find which knob to turn. Good point mark.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for simplicity... KISS. I guess I was more taken back at how (IMO) the look didn't fit with the coach design. For instance the transmission is push button w/ a digital read out to tell you what gear you're in. There easily could've been a lever for that also or a knob.

Speaking of which, when I drove in the Newmar and saw the turn knob for their Comfort Drive - I thought it looked out of place.

Once again - maybe it's me as most seem unfazed by it. To each his own I suppose.

Thanks again,
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I like them not being fancy, half the time in the DW Lexus, I can't find the controls to make the digital temp control work, too many buttons. With the MH it's real easy to find which knob to turn. Good point mark.
Have you taken a look at your controls on your RV??
Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

Google "Custom Dashboards" for ideas of what you can do.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There's not a whole lot of choice. In fact, Entegra doesn't even finish the installation, charging and testing of the dash A/C on any new coach built. This is performed by the local vendor who represents Evan-Tempcon. When I got there at 5 AM the guy was already working even before the main production workers got rolling.

The previous points are spot on. The system was designed for durability and function, not a high tech look and was designed by Evans-Tempco0n so Entegra's hands are tied as to what is available. I also found the same controls on a $1.8 million dollar Newell that I tested and they had that same analog knob for their version of Comfort Drive even though they had Silverleaf's Glass Dash, which was kind of cool.

I do like the existing system. It cools and heats so much better than what I had in our last coach, although the floor heat is most likely due to the better insulation I now have. Our last system didn't have the splits between the various vent ducts. I could choose defroster vents, floor heat vents or dash vents. Whenever I drove in cool weather I could heat my feet or defrost the windshield but not both at the same time. That made for a lot of switching back and forth while I drove. The Entegra system allows me to split the floor heat with the defroster vents or the dash vents plus there's more fan speeds (and airflow) and more BTUs in the A/C unit.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Thanks for the explanation Mark - I do appreciate it. It makes a lot of sense the more I get thinking about it.

I wonder if they'll ever change - who know, perhaps in the future. I think DW and I are making the 8 hour drive to Bish's RV next week to take a peek. I'm getting close =)

Thanks again.

Tags
dash, upgrade