Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I've been using the cheap Home depot ones as well and then just replace with another one and then wash them once a month. They do get really dirty in 30 days. Am I just a dirty person??? The ones that get dirty are the front and back. The mid ones rarely even need changing. (but the mid a/c doesn't run much either). I'm not sure if "better" filters will help or not ... or will it mean I need to change them weekly instead of monthly? Questions ... questions .....
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #16

I purchase filter material from Walmart. It's located in bags where they sell they window unit air conditioners. I think it cost less than 2 bucks. Then I just cut them out to the template of the old ones. I've never washed filters out always installed new ones almost monthly. I come from the electrical and A/C background. Installing heavy or thick filters is not a good idea. Thay could restrict the airflow and cause your AC unit to freeze up. Most professional AC guys will tell you not even to use the pleated air conditioner filters in your house. They also restrict the airflow too much. In my opinion buying the cheap AC filters and replacing them once a month is the best idea. I'm a Florida native, and have lived there all my life. Air condition is very important.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprkbr View Post
I purchase filter material from Walmart. It's located in bags where they sell they window unit air conditioners. I think it cost less than 2 bucks. Then I just cut them out to the template of the old ones. I've never washed filters out always installed new ones almost monthly. I come from the electrical and A/C background. Installing heavy or thick filters is not a good idea. Thay could restrict the airflow and cause your AC unit to freeze up. Most professional AC guys will tell you not even to use the pleated air conditioner filters in your house. They also restrict the airflow too much. In my opinion buying the cheap AC filters and replacing them once a month is the best idea. I'm a Florida native, and have lived there all my life. Air condition is very important.
Certainly everyone can make their own choices. HVAC equipment is designed with the knowledge that filtration must be part of the system. While thickness can play a role, being thin doesn’t mean less air restriction. Put a piece of paper in your return vents and you’ll block the air flow entirely. The cheap (less than $4 for 12) filters at Lowe’s and Home Depot are just thin pressed paper and excessively restrict air flow.

Good filter material is designed to allow small air molecules to pass through while stopping larger particles like dirt, skin cells, mold spores, etc. that are best kept out of the duct work and away from the parts of the HVAC equipment where the circulating air is cooled or heated.

A Merv 6 filter is a good balance of air flow and particle filtration for an RV. Larger systems, residential for instance, work better with Merv 12 or 13 filters. In almost 50 years of home ownership I’ve never had an HVAC tech tell me to use a cheaper filter.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Bontragers is out of them ... email recieved:

Unfortunately, we are sold out at the moment. Check back in every now and then, we never know what we’re going to get!

I'm going to email Entegra customer service and see if they have the vents. Stay tuned .....
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Certainly everyone can make their own choices. HVAC equipment is designed with the knowledge that filtration must be part of the system. While thickness can play a role, being thin doesn’t mean less air restriction. Put a piece of paper in your return vents and you’ll block the air flow entirely. The cheap (less than $4 for 12) filters at Lowe’s and Home Depot are just thin pressed paper and excessively restrict air flow.

Good filter material is designed to allow small air molecules to pass through while stopping larger particles like dirt, skin cells, mold spores, etc. that are best kept out of the duct work and away from the parts of the HVAC equipment where the circulating air is cooled or heated.

A Merv 6 filter is a good balance of air flow and particle filtration for an RV. Larger systems, residential for instance, work better with Merv 12 or 13 filters. In almost 50 years of home ownership I’ve never had an HVAC tech tell me to use a cheaper filter.
I respectfully disagree. After 30 days of the cheap filters we have so much build-up that it catches I wouldn't want to any filter for 90 days/or a year. But for the record I don't like two year oil filters. Have a great day.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprkbr View Post
I respectfully disagree. After 30 days of the cheap filters we have so much build-up that it catches I wouldn't want to any filter for 90 days/or a year. But for the record I don't like two year oil filters. Have a great day.
Fortunately there’s science and engineering so we don’t have to make guesses about what works best. Have a great day.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Well, Bontragers is out of stock ... Entegra says they don't have anything like that unless I can give them a part number ... Bontragers doesn't have a part number. So .... until someone can find them some other place - guess we are SOL. rprkbr - guess that is the one good thing you came away with for being at Entegra for 2 months!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #22

Your dealer should be able to provide you with a part number. They're used on late 2018's (at east on one Cornerstone I looked at) and 2019 coaches.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Your dealer should be able to provide you with a part number. They're used on late 2018's (at east on one Cornerstone I looked at) and 2019 coaches.
Will they fit on a "classic"?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Yes, and I sent you a pm.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Debbie, Sorry the new return air vents that is being installed in the 18's are to large to fit our returns.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Roger, I heard the opening was the same size, but I could be wrong without holding one up to the cutout. I wonder if Entegra would give the part number, it would be interesting to find out for sure.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Roger, I heard the opening was the same size, but I could be wrong without holding one up to the cutout. I wonder if Entegra would give the part number, it would be interesting to find out for sure.
The new vents do not fit in a cutout. They are larger than the existing grilles and will fit "over" the current cutouts. Since they are larger Entegra now makes the cutouts larger and just use two per a/c unit. I'm not sure two are enough return air, but that's another story.
Bottom line the new grilles will cover the existing cutouts and work just fine, you'll just have 12 of them instead of six like they're currently using.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
The new vents do not fit in a cutout. They are larger than the existing grilles and will fit "over" the current cutouts. Since they are larger Entegra now makes the cutouts larger and just use two per a/c unit. I'm not sure two are enough return air, but that's another story.
Bottom line the new grilles will cover the existing cutouts and work just fine, you'll just have 12 of them instead of six like they're currently using.
J.H. thanks for answering that question.

Hopefully the engineers did a study on the return air flow on the newer models with the new vents.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, vent