Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

A little help please

I know I had read somewhere on this forum about the proper gear lube for the axles. For the life of me I can't get the search engine to work within the forum and it leads me on a google chase.

I need to add to my tag axle, which fluid should i use?

I appreciate your help
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I know I had read somewhere on this forum about the proper gear lube for the axles. For the life of me I can't get the search engine to work within the forum and it leads me on a google chase.
I appreciate your help
dave&ginny
For "oil bath wheel bearings", (both "steer" and "tag") I use Lucas hub oil: Hub Oil
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Any 90 weight gear oil will work.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I appreciate your help
Dave,

Add the oil that is listed on your hub. It is most likely 80W90
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	139187  

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks everybody for your help......it's appreciated
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
On my Spartan work order at Entegra when they changed the axle seal they used 75/90 synthetic, so I used the same thing when I changed the same seal again. I didn't see a tag on my hub, but my seal has had 3 new hubs.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #7

You can buy gear oil at Walmart in a quart bottle with a small spout that fits in the hub hole. The ALLEN plug requires a metric wrench.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On my Spartan work order at Entegra when they changed the axle seal they used 75/90 synthetic, so I used the same thing when I changed the same seal again. I didn't see a tag on my hub, but my seal has had 3 new hubs.

Chuck, I'm surprised that Spartan used synthetic to refill your hubs as they use non synthetic at the factory fill.
Actually they most likely get the tag axle from their axle vendor pre filled.

Where have you had issues with the tag axle hub leaking? I take it's on the outside by the Stemco sight class.

What we have found is if we had a problematic seal leak using the non synthetic stuff may help the problem go away. The synthetic is much thinner. Don't get me wrong I like the synthetic. The axle vendors actually offer a longer warranty if using synthetic. I'm speaking on the commercial truck side where most of my experience is. I guess on the motorhome side they think the regular dino lube will do.

Probably shouldn't be talking axles with you with the problems you had with them.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The first time the leaks were the Stemco sight classes on both wheels being cracked. The last two times have been improper installation, over torqued and improper torque crushing the gaskets. I guess RV mechanics don't realize that wheel seals are torqued in a star pattern. The last one completed at Spartan/Entegra they put globs of sealant at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock making the surface un-level, not sealed and only torqued on one side.
I only used a pint of gear lube, so I don't think it will be enough to do any damage if it is the wrong type.

I have also had the rear end gears replaced three time and I was told that Meritor shipped synthetic with the rear ends.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck,

When the synthetic gear lubes first came out we were told it was not a problem to mix the two. Not sure if that's the current position.

Did they just change the carrier or the complete axle assembly and axle housings?

The Meritor axles have a good name in commercial truck business. They were my first choice when specing a truck. I know that doesn't help you with the issues you have had.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:

I appreciate your help
Don't overfill em or they will spit it out all over the wheel.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
Don't overfill em or they will spit it out all over the wheel.

Good point Johnny, another thing be sure the vent hole in that red center plug is open. The axle needs a mean of relieving the pressure when the axle gets warm / hot. I have actually seen the center plug blow out, maybe to being over filled or the vent plug.
Richard
Old 09-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Chuck,

When the synthetic gear lubes first came out we were told it was not a problem to mix the two. Not sure if that's the current position.

Did they just change the carrier or the complete axle assembly and axle housings?

The Meritor axles have a good name in commercial truck business. They were my first choice when specing a truck. I know that doesn't help you with the issues you have had.
With all of the rear end and hub seal problems I have had, I won't even worry about mixing a pint of oil.

Meritor changed just the carrier. Meritor may put out a good product, but I have never seen a company lie as much as they do. To finally get an RV quite ride rear end and not a truck rear end I had to file under the Lemom Law. What they put me through for 6 months with their bogus tests knowing they did not have a set of the right gears in the country was criminal. Their gears are made in Monterrey Mexico.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, was Meritor's problem locating a 4:88 ratio ring and pinion?

Our Anthems use a Meritor RS 144 rear axle. I can walk into Freightliner dealer and order a M2 with the same axle, well the carrier would be the same axle housing would be different.

I don't know what makes Spartan's axle a quite gear, but truck rear ends are not suppose be noisy either. If they are there is problem.

Now with that said If you are still upset with Meritor you can order a new Cornerstone and it will have the Dana S 23 190, end of issue.😃

Richard