Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Abrasion damage to hoses

Sorry about the lack of photos but they would be dark and nondescript anyway. FYI, in the past three months I've had two hoses repaired aft of the drive axle for abrasion damage. My coach has about 21,000 miles. Spartan discovered a hydraulic line rubbing near the drive axle rubbing against the left rear Jack. The hose was rubbed but not cut. I returned from Entegra and noticed my dash AC unit wasn't cooling. After some choice descriptive words about factory service I moderated my criticism after a nearby Spartan service center traced leaks on my AC system until they discovered the return freon line that runs along the left side frame and makes an abrupt turn at the rear end of the engine and runs up to the compressor had a hole rubbed in it.

My suggestion is, safely support your RV with blocking, take a stroll under the length of the RV on a creeper with a bundle of 16 inch black zip ties and flashlight looking for things that are rubbing. Look especially at the hoses in the vicinity of the Jack brackets, up and around the rear axles, and around the oil filter.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Sorry about the lack of photos but they would be dark and nondescript anyway. FYI, in the past three months I've had two hoses repaired aft of the drive axle for abrasion damage. My coach has about 21,000 miles. Spartan discovered a hydraulic line rubbing near the drive axle rubbing against the left rear Jack. The hose was rubbed but not cut. I returned from Entegra and noticed my dash AC unit wasn't cooling. After some choice descriptive words about factory service I moderated my criticism after a nearby Spartan service center traced leaks on my AC system until they discovered the return freon line that runs along the left side frame and makes an abrupt turn at the rear end of the engine and runs up to the compressor had a hole rubbed in it.
My suggestion is, safely support your RV with blocking, take a stroll under the length of the RV on a creeper with a bundle of 16 inch black zip ties and flashlight looking for things that are rubbing. Look especially at the hoses in the vicinity of the Jack brackets, up and around the rear axles, and around the oil filter.
hogdriver
That sounds like something Entegra should have done before your coach left the factory.
That certainly says something about their quality control....doesn't it?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes Mel, thank you for your observation.

I was providing the information to other owners so they can look out for this possible problem. I'm sure every vehicle you have purchased was manufactured perfectly.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #4

FWIW Good advise. you could have put it in the general forum because everybody needs to take a look now and then. Even trussed up lines have ways of coming loose.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Good suggestion. I have had to do this with previous MHs. Sometimes I just crawl under and stare at stuff to better identify all the cables, hoses and conduits running fore and aft, side to side. I had identified and fixed the air line chaffing on the rear jacks months before the official Spartan notice.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I also agree, A great suggestion. My 2016 Entegra gave me an ABS fault light on delivery. Problem was a frayed cable on pilot side tag axle due to rubbing. The Spartan tech who fixed it said it had likely rubbed since built and driven the 1,800 miles to the Idaho dealer. The dealer basically said "Duhh". Myself, I'm a tie wrap type person and always have a hand full of zip ties handy when I'm snooping around because I hate seeing when I need one and having to crawl out to go get it. It would be nice to know if I've prevented a problem or two, I bet I have.

I wish assemblers would take a little more pride in workmanship when cabling because it sure stands out when they don't. But, the clock rules and QC pays. My 2cw.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I think it is great when Entegra owners share little things that may prevent others from having a roadside break down.

Then there are the other brand owners that like to gloat that problems never happen on there brand, but that brand's factory repair service has a long waiting list for service, just like ours. They also intimidate others from possibly sharing beneficial tips, what a shame.

I want to thank Dave and those like him that go out of there way to make the use of our Entegra's even better. This forum is great and from sharing we all benefit. 90% of my mods, the ideas came from others that shared. I just shared the photos as I did the mod to make it easier for others.

Another big thanks to all of you that share ideas on this forum.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:

Thank you Dave, greatly appreciate info like this. Particularly specific places to go looking with zip ties. I also use pieces of automotive radiator and other hose pieces to wrap around and then zip tie spots where I can't completely separate chafe points. Thanks again.
andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #9

I had a transmission cooler line fray just after 2000 miles on my last coach. when I purchased the 2015 I drove it to spartan Headquarters the first week I owned it. They found hoses that were suspect etc... They found a hose that was blocking the oil filter so my first oil change would of never happened without disconnecting the hose. What facility would want that liability.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. My first trip in a new coach is spartan. Spartan moved, Zipped, and reinforced all hoses by wrapping rubber around the outside of a hose that might rub against the chassis in the future. I have them go from the rear to the front. They let me in the pit and I go over the work with the tech. I always look for low hanging hoses and hoses that are out of place periodically.

Murphy's law, if you have a hose or wire that is hanging lower than the lowest point on your coach it will snag something, and you will break down.

In my opinion, it is not entirely entegra's fault and not Spartans fault. When they leave spartan they all leave the same way. I believe Spartan does a great job making sure every unit passes QC. When it gets to the coach manufacturer, this applies to every manufacturer that builds MH, they weld components on the frame or X bracing. To accomplish the welding, the welders do have to move existing wiring, hoses etc.... so not to damage components in the welding process. Heat at concentrated levels will melt whatever is in it's path. How they put everything back together is where I believe you get loose harnesses, hanging hoses etc...
Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
A little heads up on using the wire ties, then can cut into hose wire bundles etc too. Take and old water hose, or radiator hose for larger bundles, and put this around the item being secured before using the wire tie. This will put and additional layer of protection for what's being secured.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry about the lack of photos but they would be dark and nondescript anyway. FYI, in the past three months I've had two hoses repaired aft of the drive axle for abrasion damage. My coach has about 21,000 miles. Spartan discovered a hydraulic line rubbing near the drive axle rubbing against the left rear Jack.
Here's a picture of what I found.

While in Middlebury the Spartan tech implemmented the official Spartan fix.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If anyone noticed, I posted back in September about doing a full brake job on my 1998 Pace Arrow. As I stated, I also replaced all the brake hoses. I was very careful to route the brake hoses to clear any obstructions. When I returned from Disney World (my first trip) I crawled under the motorhome and checked for leaks and problems with the brake job. I found that the brake hose that runs from the frame to the rear end housing had settled against the rear end. It was NOT that way when I installed it. The heat and the bouncing along the road had caused settling of the hose. I don't believe your motorhome left the factory like this. I think it was a case of hoses changing position.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #13

Thanks for sharing, good to know. SMH @ Mel.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
An atta boy on my Entegra for those that think all Entegra's leave the factory that way....I strung LED lights from the engine block heater plug all the way around the frame, under the generator and back to the engine block plug. I had no wires or hoses that needed re-securing and I covered every inch under that coach during a 2 day period.

Could I have missed something...absolutely! After Dave's post I will be looking again after this 9,000 mile trip.

I do an annual inspection under the coach every Spring...wire ties do break and hoses can shift with mileage. There is a heck of a lot under there that come loose. Owning a MH is not one of those look at it once and forget it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote