Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #1

Air Bags / Air Tanks

At the Entegra U class, the Spartan presenter indicated that the lanyards for the air tanks should be pulled and checked twice a year, which is not something we have done at all. So, when we were on concrete, we pulled the lanyards in the order prescribed. When pulling the silver lanyard, which is for the wet tank, the rear and front air gauges on the dash were supposed to show little to no change in pressure. Alas, the rear gauge went to zero. No water was evident on the concrete. I climbed underneath and the silver lanyard is, indeed, connected to the wet tank located in the middle of the chassis. The other two lanyards (green and red) are connected to the two tanks under the driver and passenger seats.

Since we performed this test, the rear air gauge consistently reads zero after we have been sitting for a day or so. We are able to get to ride height and have had no problems when driving and the gauges are normal while driving. I called Spartan and they said that it could be a faulty check valve.

Am wondering whether anyone else has had an issue similar to this and, if so, whether a check valve was, indeed, the problem. Not sure why the check valve would have gone bad when just pulling on the lanyard.

Thanks in advance for any information!
Bill
2015 Anthem. 42DEQ
buzzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
When that happened did you continue thru the process of pulling the other lanyards? Was there pressure in those tanks when you pulled them? Can repeat that test again after a full air up and see if behavior repeats.

My notes from Spartan Academy:

Drain Air Tanks

Pull lanyards in RF wheel well in this order: (hold open until completely down)

1 Silver - wet tank
Check that neither gauge is down

2 Green - primary tank (rear brakes)
Check that rear has gone to zero and front still pressurized

3 Red - secondary tank (front brakes and accessories)
Both gauges should now be zero, (if not may be a sender or gauge problem)

Anything bigger than a 3” diameter puddle on concrete is too much water and requires maintenance, but probably safe to drive to shop.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Sounds to me like you have two problems. 1. Check valve leaking causing original problem. 2. Check valve still leaking, but in addition now wet tank manual purge valve leaking that you unseated when pulling lanyard.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

RBR - Yes, we pulled the remaining lanyards and all three tanks emptied without any water.

JH - Since I agreed with your logic, I checked the manual purge valve on the wet tank and it could not be pushed shut any farther. Also, I sprayed the purge valve with soapy water when the tank was full and no signs of leakage.

Appreciate the replies!

Bill
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

I think you have a check valve that are bad. The one between wet tank and the rear tank.

Since you said the rear tank goes down quickly it means you have a leak somewhere in the air system.

The next question is where is the leak in the rear tank. Since the wet tank if feeding the rear tank as the rear tank uses air it is being refilled by the wet tank. So when the rear tank is empty then the wet tank will be empty also.

My first suggestion is to replace check valve between wet and rear tank. Then air up system and start looking for where the other leaks are.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #6

I drain my tanks all the time. Prevents the possibility of corrosion in tanks that will lead to very expensive repairs. I know first hand.
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
I think you have a check valve that are bad. The one between wet tank and the rear tank.

Since you said the rear tank goes down quickly it means you have a leak somewhere in the air system.

The next question is where is the leak in the rear tank. Since the wet tank if feeding the rear tank as the rear tank uses air it is being refilled by the wet tank. So when the rear tank is empty then the wet tank will be empty also.

My first suggestion is to replace check valve between wet and rear tank. Then air up system and start looking for where the other leaks are.
X 's 2 !! and service your air dryer as needed..keep that air flow dry...You DO NOT want any dessicant into your air system...(drained water will look "milky") will coat every blamed valve, sensor, solenoids and everything else..royal Bugger-All to get everything cleaned...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies! Is it wise to replace these check valves on your own? Has anyone done it? Getting under there, it looks like major surgery.

Thanks!
Bill
Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Air Bags / Air Tanks

Not being a certified mechanic I would not work on that stuff except in an emergency. That system is too critical for safety for my ability. Ask Spartan for their recommended shop in your area.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tank