Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Air conditioner

As summer seems to have arrived I have seen a surge regarding sun shades and keeping your coach cool. I am preparing for a month long trip and started by taking a short weekend trip just see what might need to be addressed prior to departure. I am happy to say that all I have left to fix is the coach a/c, while it dose work it really could do much better. As I began the process the fist things I tried were maga shades, adjusting vents , pointing north and parking under shade. All help in a small way, as more improvement was needed it occurred to me I was approaching my problem backward and should start with the temp sensors, thermostat and roof units. So far I have found that one unit will not go to high speed with thermostat adjustment down to 50 degrees or by manually putting it on high. I called mike at customer service ( who always calls me back) and he explained how to reboot the thermostat by removing the fuse from the in coach fuse panel. Once removed for 5 minutes reinstall and with a/c system off leave again for five minutes and allow the thermostat to reboot DONT CHEAT ON TIME, next I go to sensors with temp gun, mike says that a 8degree swing is ok according to sensor manufacturer. I will start by seeing what the degree variance is before I start installing resistors, I feel like two degrees is more acceptable.
In short if your coach won't stay cool manually move to high from auto, I think you will be amazed at the difference and don't forget to check each unit to see if it goes to high. I will post the results in the days that follow.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Alan, i think there is an easier answer....follow the weather channel and go where it's cooler.

Excellent report, thanks for sharing that. I might be stuck close to hot and humind home this year and your tip might come in very handy
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Looking forward to results
Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahall View Post
As summer seems to have arrived I have seen a surge regarding sun shades and keeping your coach cool. I am preparing for a month long trip and started by taking a short weekend trip just see what might need to be addressed prior to departure. I am happy to say that all I have left to fix is the coach a/c, while it dose work it really could do much better. As I began the process the fist things I tried were maga shades, adjusting vents , pointing north and parking under shade. All help in a small way, as more improvement was needed it occurred to me I was approaching my problem backward and should start with the temp sensors, thermostat and roof units. So far I have found that one unit will not go to high speed with thermostat adjustment down to 50 degrees or by manually putting it on high. I called mike at customer service ( who always calls me back) and he explained how to reboot the thermostat by removing the fuse from the in coach fuse panel. Once removed for 5 minutes reinstall and with a/c system off leave again for five minutes and allow the thermostat to reboot DONT CHEAT ON TIME, next I go to sensors with temp gun, mike says that a 8degree swing is ok according to sensor manufacturer. I will start by seeing what the degree variance is before I start installing resistors, I feel like two degrees is more acceptable.
In short if your coach won't stay cool manually move to high from auto, I think you will be amazed at the difference and don't forget to check each unit to see if it goes to high. I will post the results in the days that follow.
I shimmed the sensor for the front a/c unit away from the wall 1/2 in. so it could get air around it. The front air would run constantly until I shimmed the Sensor. All my sensor are within 2 degrees now.
I can't imagine they would tell you 8 degs. is acceptable. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Noel, what did you use to shim the sensors?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I'd love to see a pic of that front sensor w shim
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I'd love to see a pic of that front sensor w shim
DITTO, also when set to auto will it not hit high fan setting, or isn't it supposed too. on demand
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I shimmed the sensor for the front a/c unit away from the wall 1/2 in. so it could get air around it. The front air would run constantly until I shimmed the Sensor. All my sensor are within 2 degrees now.
I can't imagine they would tell you 8 degs. is acceptable. Noel
That is an excellent idea! And X2 on the 8 degree swing. No way would going from 72 to 80 degrees be acceptable!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Also agree with the 8 degree difference being too much. I just did a lot research shopping for a wi-fi thermostat for the S&B. The industry standard is 3 degrees and the top end ones advertised 1 degree temp swings. BTW wi-fi S&B thermostats are awesome for when you travel.

Noel, I would also like to see the shim improvement. Great idea.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #10

I said 1/2 in. After I look at it it's more like 3/4 to 1 in. I also used very high tech. material for the shims, plastic tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	64488  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #11

Another shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	64489  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Great idea, Noel. More information please. Does the sensor just pry off its current mounting? What is holding it in place? I assume there is enough excess wire that you did not have to disturb the wire, right? Did you do all three sensors?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #13

Marc, I only did the sensor up front. It seems to get heat soaked in the area it's in when against the wall. The sensor is held on with two small screws. There was plenty of wire to pull mine out. You can take the screws out and pull the sensor out an inch or so and let it hang in free air to make sure it helps before you go to the trouble of the mod. It made a lot of difference in mine. Just saying. Noel
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Noel. I think all my sensors could benefit from that.

Tags
air conditioner