Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Conditioner Amperage Analysis

OK I had AC No 1 trip a breaker today, it was in the 90's today with all three units running. Yes hot sun would have been above the drivers side where the electrical panel is. I read where a ventilation fan will reduce the amount of heat up there, but prior to doing this Mod I need to be sure that I do not have issues with the AC's.
So with me being blessed with all sorts of fancy electronics test equipment from my generator repair days I decided to get my flexible amp probes out and see what we get.
My Fluke meters are Calibrated and guaranteed accurate (I had to, it was my job).
I did sell my third Fluke Clamp on as I did not think I would need to do any more three phase measurements, didn't think about measuring three AC units at the same time! This means that I had to disconnect AC 3 and reconnect AC 2 starting it up separately.

FYI, Amperage wise all looks pretty normal between all three AC units.
I am on a robust 50 Amp service at my home location, and do run a progressive EMS unit.
Fans all on Automatic (they were blowing out on High
Coach temperature was mid 80's
Dometic Heat Pumps Model 459136

Specifications:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Specs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	219454

Results:
AC 1 (Front) Max Starting Amps = 32.1, Running Amps = 15.1
AC 2 (Middle) Max Starting Amps = 34.1, Running Amps = 14.4
AC 3 (Rear) Max Starting Amps = 29.4, Running Amps = 15.0

Now the photos to document the findings:

Flex Probes attached to the three breakers for each of the AC units:

Name:	20180917_183456.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	219435

Starting Amps AC 1 on left, AC 3 on Right

Name:	20180917_183434.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	219436

Running Amps AC 1 on left, AC 3 on Right

Name:	20180917_183037.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	219437

Starting Amps for AC 2

Name:	20180917_183627.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	219438

Running Amps for AC 3 on Right

Name:	20180917_183645.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	219439

If there are any other measurements that you would like documented let me know!
Hopefully this may help you if you have AC issues and have to involve an electrician or HVAC guy, I would suggest that my measurements would be a good baseline for normal AC operation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Bill, your measurements are perfect timing for me. I have been trying to chase down why 1 a/c keeps dropping out on me while on 20 amp. Your amp draw is a big help. Thank you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Bill, your measurements are perfect timing for me. I have been trying to chase down why 1 a/c keeps dropping out on me while on 20 amp. Your amp draw is a big help. Thank you.
Glad I could help... this IRV2 Forum is fantastic, and I share where I can!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Where did you get the "Flex probes" those look pretty handy
Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

I had the same problem. Now I leave the door and panel open while parked with a piece of Velcro holding the plastic breaker panel door open so it can get some cool air. Ever since, have not had a problem with tripping A/C Breakers. Maybe one day I will bore a hole and install a fan.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Where did you get the "Flex probes" those look pretty handy
You can pick them up on ebay for around $100 each, however you have to purchase the meter to go with... One thing I really like about my meters are that they also measure DC Amps... Most others do not.

With a 376 Meter and flex probe you can find them around $400.
I do prefer the 376 as it is true RMS.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
I had the same problem. Now I leave the door and panel open while parked with a piece of Velcro holding the plastic breaker panel door open so it can get some cool air. Ever since, have not had a problem with tripping A/C Breakers. Maybe one day I will bore a hole and install a fan.
Yes, I have been thinking about this one... I have a Flir Thermal IR that I may apply to this problem!
Wonder if a person uses a flat Danco 1/2" diameter rubber faucet washer as a spacer at the bottom (and perhaps at the top) of the electrical panel covers with longer screws to provide a 1/8" gap, and then put a rubber stop / spacer to keep the cabinet doors with a slight gap at the bottom if this would reduce heat build up....
My biggest concern will be safety to insure that the breakers and live circuits are not exposed.
I am inclined to do this rather than cut in a power fan at this point and opt for natural cooling.
Opinions?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

As a Ac person, i look at these and wonder why the middle ac is lower amps than the other two.. can only conclude that is has less freon than the others.. which can impact cooling efficiencies.

on a previous Rv I has a slow leak, I fixed and recharged unit, i weighed in exactly what the data plate said too. taking other temps etc i determined there was not enough freon adding almost another half pound, after that the unit was blowing out some darn cold air after adding freon.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
As a Ac person, i look at these and wonder why the middle ac is lower amps than the other two.. can only conclude that is has less freon than the others.. which can impact cooling efficiencies.

on a previous Rv I has a slow leak, I fixed and recharged unit, i weighed in exactly what the data plate said too. taking other temps etc i determined there was not enough freon adding almost another half pound, after that the unit was blowing out some darn cold air after adding freon.
actually the output temp is better than no 1. I would assume that this difference is so small it is not an indication of an issue. The blower fan or filter could be cleaner than the others?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
actually the output temp is better than no 1. I would assume that this difference is so small it is not an indication of an issue. The blower fan or filter could be cleaner than the others?
I would guess that the center unit is seeing slightly cooler return temps ( less load because of less exterior wall load) and therefore has less load on the unit and lower amperage.
Jimjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
This may help since I also have a 2015. The breaker panel has two extra slots on our panel, one on the left side, and one on the right side. Our #1 breaker kept popping on us too, so I had it examined at Taylor Tours in Anthem, AZ. They contacted Entegra after finding no apparent problems, except for the electrical design. Entegra gave them the procedures to add two additional breakers for ACs. The electrician said that they shouldn't be using double pole breakers for the AC that share a backplane within the breaker, so we now have separate breakers for two of the three ACs. Haven't popped a breaker in 2-yrs.
Jim
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattman-Litlboy View Post
This may help since I also have a 2015. The breaker panel has two extra slots on our panel, one on the left side, and one on the right side. Our #1 breaker kept popping on us too, so I had it examined at Taylor Tours in Anthem, AZ. They contacted Entegra after finding no apparent problems, except for the electrical design. Entegra gave them the procedures to add two additional breakers for ACs. The electrician said that they shouldn't be using double pole breakers for the AC that share a backplane within the breaker, so we now have separate breakers for two of the three ACs. Haven't popped a breaker in 2-yrs.
Jim
CHA-CHING! You just got my Golden Buzzer!!! You are the man, my AC No 1 breaker is tandem with my Aqua Hot Water Heater electric element, and it was ON!!
This is exactly what was going on. The Aqua Hot measures 15 Amps by its self, and with the 14 amps continuous on the AC, there would be a fair amount of heat that is contained. Looks like I am replacing a few breakers! i am going to try the 1/2 width series so I do not have to re-label, if this does not work then I will do exactly what you did! By the way for those who do not know the type to use, they are Square D Homeline miniature series breakers Mfg part number QOB120.

THANK YOU JIM!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One Error that I can not edit out...
"By the way for those who do not know the type to use, they are Square D Homeline miniature series breakers Mfg part number QOB120."
The breakers in my cs are Eaton BR Series Breakers..
A regular Homeline breaker fits into its slot, but I do not think the miniature series of Homeline will fit this...
Looks like I am going to do exactly what Jim Suggests!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My '16 has separate beakers for the 3 AC and Heating element.

Tags
air, air conditioner