RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Air Dryer Line Leak

I returned from a trip yesterday, and while unloading the coach and putting it in storage, I could hear a leak of air in the rear of the coach. Found the leak was a 90 degree fitting where an air line enters or leaves the air dryer. I had the dryer filter changed just prior to leaving on this trip.

Is this fitting supposed to "swivel"? The air is leaking there. When looking at the dryer, the fitting is on the left side. The fitting is tight into the dryer, but is swiveling just to the left of the nut to tighten. I am wondering if the fitting was damaged when the techs were taking off the dryer filter? Is this fitting something that I can easily order and replace. I am heading back down to the coach this morning to get the model number of the Wabco Dryer model (my images of the model number did not turn out well). I believe the model is the 1200 series, but not sure which one. Also, does the air line just pull out of the fitting (quick release?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_153352_001_resized.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	183932

Name:	20171125_153548_resized.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	183933
(looking at the dryer, the fitting is on the left side, in the rear - not visible here)

Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Newmar Luxury Owner

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get some soapy water and confirm the fitting is leaking and if that is the problem order a new one and replace it. Should no more than $10 on Amazon.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

It is not supposed to swivel. It may just be loose. I would remove th dryer line, tighten the fitting one turn, cut an inch or so off the dryer line, and replace it as a first stab at fixing it
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

I believe the model is the 1200 series, but not sure which one. Also, does the air line just pull out of the fitting (quick release?)

Yes, the yellow air line is a push to connect. To remove it, push the first black rib of the connector and pull the line out at the same time. To reinstall, just make sure the air line is clean and push it all the way back into the connector.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Looks like they used an open end wrench or vice grips on the bushing in picture #1.

It may be egg shaped and need to be replaced. You could try a few wraps of Teflon tape on the elbow.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

As twinboat has stated I too would replace it. It appears to be a 5/8" pipe thread by 1/2" push connect fitting. I would use a swivel fitting in its place so it can be adjusted in any position. Also I would only use a Brass DOT approved fitting. Here is a link to what I am talking about.

Item # DQ69S-108, 5/8 OD PTC X 1/2 MPT DOT BRASS PUSH TO CONNECT MALE SWIVEL ELBOW - REF. SAE AA02DD – WITH FACTORY APPLIED THREAD SEALANT ON MPT END FOR J844 NYLON AIR BRAKE TUBE APPLICATIONS On Mid-America Fittings, Inc.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for all your suggestions and replies. Went to check out the elbow, and tried to tighten some more, and the elbow still swivels, leaks, and will not tighten. It may just be defective. I removed the fitting and have it at home. The image that doodadd posted looks very similar - the threaded end looks to be .5 inch, and the air line outside dimension is .25". (the OD of the air line fitting appears to be 3/8" - Need a different fitting than the one his post??

Name:	Elbow Image 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	183944

Name:	Elbow Image 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	183945
Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When I blew up that pic it appears to have been cross threaded...look closely at the threads. That is not a swivel fitting but is a position adjustable flare.

If all the buggered wrenching is the "tech's" I would let the shop manager get involved. You may be lucky and the brass thread was sacrificial...but if the female inlet is buggered too you may be looking at a new housing.$$$

IF they don't agree to help I would buy a FPT tap and gently clean those threads before inserting a new brass fitting. That is the right way. At 150psi even a small burr makes leaks. Tape or dope is not required, that is not the way they are designed. AND, as with all hyd or air fittings ...tighten, back off slightly and then tighten.

Make sure your plastic air line is clean, smooth and a 90 degree cut ( no angle ) and fully seated in the brass fitting when re-installing.

Just a WAG but probably the filter is mounted such that the "tech" could not get a proper heavy duty 1/2 drive band wrench over the filter. I know in many cases the whole assembly is removed due to bad location or not having the proper tool. It should not need to be removed for service, just spin off, wipe out base, install new O-ing, and spin on a new one.

I also know that the cousin of the gorilla that puts in that Onan drain plug is rumored to work at Wabco.

Good luck... post you outcome so others learn for free.

And if they don't help...find a new shop and post their name to protect others. I hate to see this stuff, hope I can keep doin my own a little longer.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

If its a flair fitting you need a SAE thread tap, not NPT. Flair fittings use straight thread.

If the part in the picture is 2 peices, there is a seal inside that's bad, probably from crushing it.

Take the fitting to your guy or a truck parts shop, who knows air brake fittings, and see what they come up with.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
From Wabco spec sheet
Port Sizes
Port 1 (supply): 1/2" - 14 NPTF
Port 21 (delivery): 1/2" - 14 NPTF

Agreed get the correct DOT fitting at a truck shop or hosemaker...and clean those threads.

http://www.ezairride.com/14-PTC-x-12...bow-_p_44.html
This is what you are asking for but probably a bigger airline size. Can't tell from your pics.

Not a true flare but the correct name escapes me due to CRS and a long,bad tailgate weekend...UF/fsu
Old 11-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The threads on the fitting look good (image not doing them justice), but they do appear to have been "re-threaded". This fitting may have had the threads on the male end adjusted to fit the Wabco Air Dryer?. If it is not intended to swivel, then it is broken. Not sure how to determine the thread situation, yet. I did go to Home Depot and a standard air line connector in the compressor tool department would screw onto the male end up to where the threads were different (my fitting was only screwed in about 1/4 of an inch on the threads) - so I am not sure if that means pipe threads, or standard threads

The air line needs to attach from the bottom, so the 90 degree bend has to point down for the best and easy air line attachment. I had the dryer filter changed at Speedco - no way to prove it, and the nut on my flitting does appear to have been adjusted with some kind of pliers or vice grips somewhere in the past.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bad news... only in 1/4 inch sounds like buggered female end. Sounds like you are pretty good wrencher, I would take the assembly off and head for the truck shop with both parts and see what's up.

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/k...p-tol-kdt2321w

Get one of these if you want to do it right in a couple of years, or save other Entegra guys at a gathering. A couple of Monaco guys do them at Quartzite every year...have heard there are liquid rewards involved, about 10 minute job. The link is just for the picture, not sure of size as mine is buried, and I have several sizes. The great thing is you can use a long extension, 1/2 breaker bar and never bust a knuckle. At 70 the old breaker bar seems to be in use more than jut a shiny addition to the back of the toolbox.

When you are all done I would send a link to this thread to Speedco HQ and the shop manager ask for reimbursement. Maybe get luckier than finding the bad "tech".
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

The OP stated that the air line is 1/4 inch. If true, it comes from the governor unloader port. It signals the air dryer to purge.

It looks like it may be 1/4 NPT ( National Pipe Thread ). It screws into the side of the unloader valve on the dryer.

The larger lines will not leak unless the engine is running and the compressor is actively pumping air. With engine off, the check valve at the wet tank is blocking back flow out of the tank.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The OP stated that the air line is 1/4 inch. If true, it comes from the governor unloader port. It signals the air dryer to purge.

It looks like it may be 1/4 NPT ( National Pipe Thread ). It screws into the side of the unloader valve on the dryer.

The larger lines will not leak unless the engine is running and the compressor is actively pumping air. With engine off, the check valve at the wet tank is blocking back flow out of the tank.
Ahhh...should have read better instead of looking at pics so much...my bad.

copied the whole size chart this time from Wabco

Port 1 (supply): 1/2" - 14 NPTF
Port 21 (delivery): 1/2" - 14 NPTF
Port 4 (control): 1/4" - 18 NPTF
Port 22 (purge tank): 1/4" - 18 NPTF

smaller holes easier to clean up threads too. He should be in good shape.

Tags
air, leak