RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Alaska Adventure ???

Soooo...We are planning to take our 2016 Anthem on the 48 day "Heart of Alaska" RV caravan tour. Seeing as how part of it is on Gravel roads.(the Taylor highway and Top of The World highway) I was wondering if anyone has opinions if this will be ok for our 2016 Anthem coach with out wrecking something. I have already installed the "Alaska Pack" by RoadMaster to protect the Jeep.
Any scoops would be most appreciated. (ie CB radio for caravan, etc.)

Thanks in advance...The Balladeer

Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #2

it's doubtful there is anything that will 'help' other than careful and slow driving. Certain gravel/dirt/patched roads can be interesting since most of us would never attempt these in the states, but in 'Alaska' you have little choice in some areas, especially if you are crossing the Yukon at Dawson Creek on the ferry and going up and over the border to Chicken.

while the roads are fairly calm and good in most of Canada, parts of the Yukon and BritishColumbia nearer Alaska's border can have very frequent 'dips and heaves'... you have to:

Be Prepared, always:
Pay Attention to the little 'flags' on the roadside giving you notice of a dip/heave, they mean it!:
Slow WAY down when crossing them:

Don't get complacent when you haven't seen one in a while, as you'll find yourself rounding a curve and no time to stop for the 'big one' - hitting your 'chin' on the heaves is what causes issues - we had this happen several times, even as careful as I was. Basically, your front axle is 'bottoming out' on the frame, causing a big jolt!

drive safely and enjoy... if you're caravan'ing, I'm sure the 'Leader' has some experience.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #3

interesting ...... following

CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

Mister T obviously speaks from experience. Buddy and I did Alaska on Motorcycles and had a great time. The Top of the World Highway has some grand vistas to see but I’d be squeamish about putting an Anthem on that Ferry, be sure they have the approach and departure points groomed such that you don’t drag. Lots of road construction and frost heaves to watch for but would assume the Caravan leaders know the terrain. If you’ve never been there beyond the typical cruise ship locations it is pretty amazing, Big country will have a whole new meaning.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talk with your insurance company and make sure you have windshield insurance. Check the deductible.

Just had my drivers side windshield replaced...$1,400. I paid $50.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Remove your big mud flap.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

on our way out of Alaska, or at least the 'big' part, we came out thru Beaver Creek YK and took the road toward Haines Jct... not good. But, when we turned right we had the 'Million Dollar Road' all the way back into Haines Alaska.... AMAZINGGGGGG!!!!!!!

and take a night to stay at the 'Million Dollar Falls' Campground about half-way... it was AMAZINGGGGGG!!!!!!!

not to mention the 'ferry' SHIP from Haines to Skagway, the mountainous journey out of Skagway to the 'real' Top Of The World BORDER(did I say Amazingggg!!!?) and down into the most NW BritishColumbia 'end of the world' scenery to their border Crossing. You gotta see this! Crazy good.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Alaska Adventure

Marc MRUSA14...
Curious about removing mudflap. Mine hangs pretty freely by chains from frame allowing 90 degree swing. Thought it would help protect rocks from coming up on tow car. What is danger of leaving attached????
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

the question of whether a rear 'advertising flap' actually does more harm than good, especially on less than perfect roadway, like in Alaska and parts of Canada... has been discussed - as the rear flap hanging too close to the roadway actually may 'cause' more rocks and dirt to be thrown than otherwise without. And, most who don't have the rear flap report that simple rear wheel mud flaps, as on commercial trucks, does the best job - stopping the rocks and dirt close to the wheels, not at the rear of the coach.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

And if you hit a lot of calcium chloride (if wet be thankful you’re not on a motorcycle, slicker than owl dung) you need to be sure and wash it off as soon as possible. Maybe others have tips for some corrosion preventative that you can spray on the chassis. Stuff I used on my bike isn’t practical on a MH. In my avatar you can perhaps make out the BMW GSA on the trailer, get use to seeing them up there.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Agree on the mudflaps - we raised ours as high as it would go and no more rock chips.

On our caravan in 2016 to the other side of Canada, we all had walkie-talkies - worked fine.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
Marc MRUSA14...
Curious about removing mudflap. Mine hangs pretty freely by chains from frame allowing 90 degree swing. Thought it would help protect rocks from coming up on tow car. What is danger of leaving attached????
Many many reports that mudflap actually kicks stones up into the toad. I donít have first hand experience but so many people have written this on the forum that I am a believer.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We went to AK in 2009. Overall the roads were good but there is always a chance of rocks/chips.

When driving if a big truck is coming towards you slow down and pull over until they pass, it might reduce the chance of getting hit by a rock.

We did end up getting a good rock hit in between Denali and Fairbanks, good roads but didn't matter. The rock hit the bottom of the windshield, initially no big deal but then a crack developed. Stopped at a shop in Fairbanks that drilled a hole to stop the crack from expanding and then had the windshield replaced when we got back to TN.

The fact that you are asking questions means you understand the risk but with risks come the rewards. The trip was well worth the effort, very fond memories & hope to do it again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
You would be wise to heed the advice you are receiving on this thread! We have been over Top of the World and The Taylor twice and have seen RVs with mud flaps installed pull into campgrounds with a pile of gravel at the base of the windshield of their towed. It works like a scoop when it drags the ground. Have a good set of mudflaps behind the rear wheels and you will be in good shape.

Watch for the small flags and also be alert when the white line on the edge of the road ahead looks like it has waves. Another sure sign there are frost heaves ahead.

Another thing we do is stretch a yoga mat across the windshield of our towed. We also install a Protect-A-Tow between the RV and the towed. It really protects the front of the towed. We have received zero chips during our trips up the Alaskan Highway since we started doing this.

If you are with a caravan they will have the approach and exit to the ferry in Dawson City groomed when you board. Just go slow and follow the crewmember's signals. He has loaded 100s of big RVs, buses, and trucks on his ferry.

Congrats on your decision to make this trip. Take your time, go slow, and enjoy yourself! It's an AMAZING ride!

Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent