Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #43
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Noel and others,

We have a 2014 (late year build) that has driven extremely well since day one. Never had a reason to get it aligned or checked by Spartan. Can basically steer it with a couple of fingers. So I don't understand why some Spartan chassis get it 100% on the initial build on some, yet can't figure out what's wrong after numerous attempts on others.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
I also had a 2002 MM with drove with 2 fingers, can't figure out why a 2014 take two hands and both shoulders on some and others are perfect. It must be luck of the draw and pay more for a K3.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #45

Talked to David at Spartan. He said the shop needs to check the thrust angle of the rear axle and that the steering wheel can be corrected by putting the coach back on the rack with the wheels straight and move the steering wheel column over one spline. He wants the shop to call them when they pull it in so he can also tell them how to correct the slack in the steering.

We shall see how this goes.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #46

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Regarding Spartan: it is apparent there exists a severe disconnect between engineering and service. Entegra is also not without fault for specifying the Goodyears for steer tires.

On the Aspires with straight axles, here are my recommendations:
Before you begin, get your coach properly weighed, checking the weight on each wheel, and balance your load.
1. Change the steer tires to the comparable Michelins.
2. Check that every axle is actually perpendicular to the frame....believe me, not all are!
3. Check the thrust angle.
4. Adjust the ride height.
5. Look at the steering box, and make sure the steering wheel is straight and you have the same number of turns to either side, left & right. A lot of coaches seem to have more turns of the steering wheel in one direction or the other. (Not Centered)
5. Get a whole coach alignment. Contact Dana for the front axle alignment specs. They make the straight axles. (My 2013 front axle was a Dana, Model E-1462XW.) Before you talk to Dana, you might want to call Spartan and verify the OEM and Model Number of YOUR front axle.
6. Get a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer installed on your front axle and work to get it perfectly "centered." (@$800.00)
7. Put steering service on your regular maintenance list along with lube every 5K miles.

After all that, You might actually relax when driving your straight-axle Aspire.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #47

This doesnt help a lot for those who are wrestling with the problem, but I am another owner of an Anthem who has NO steering or steering wheel or alignment problems. I am thankful. Had other problems, but none of those. My coach drives down the road like its supposed to. So, it is hard to figure why some have problems and some do not.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #48

Alignment Fix

When I picked up my coach, it had a severe pull to the right that the mechanic had already noticed. I had to hold the wheel left to go straight. I received authorization from Spartan for an alignment and went to a good truck shop that knew what they were doing.
The front was well within spec, but the THRUST angle, which was supposed to be near zero, was .28. That is the angle of the REAR axle to the chassis . it is a 5 minute adjustment and fixed the problem. I also had the front tires swapped left to right and right to left to make sure it wasn't a tire belt problem.
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, you are proof it can be done.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #50
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan steering issues

My Anthem has had steering problems from about 2 weeks after purchase it. I have had 8 alignment shops look at my coach, 7 of which actually adjusted my steering setup, I requested the last garage not to touch anything but just to check to confirm my suspicions that something must be moving as 10 days earlier I'd had another alignment garage carry out a complete alignment so this would prove my theory.

Now apart from every workshop I visit telling me "it's way out" A garage in Arizona informed me that my RV required new drag links which they ordered and fitted. After the test drive that the mechanic regretfully informed me that he was sorry but it hasn't made any difference at all. It was at this point we decided to drive the 3-4 days to Elkhart and return the Rv back to Entegra as we couldn't drive the coach like this any more.

This meant cutting short another holiday and changing flights to return home while Entegra/Spartan sorted out this problem.

We were informed that our RV would be delivered to the Charlotte facility for this issue to be rectified. After our return (2.5 months later) I reported on our youtube channel that I don't think that Spartan actually did anything to our Rv at all, as the steering seems to be the same. So we decided to drive from Elkhart to Perry Legend in Missouri (who had been highly recommended) as they seem to be the only company able to solve these types of problems.

We arrived and the Rv was placed on their ramp. They informed that the rear axels were both pointing to the left causing the front to constantly steer to the right, plus the front was way out of line as well.....
Now you have to remember that our Rv had just left the Spartan facility after being supposedly fully checked and tested.

Now I've been looking at all of the test "before & after" print outs and it would appear that after driving a distance of around 200-500 miles (I don't know exactly how far) but the whole steering geometry goes out of alignment.

Also looking through the work sheets I noticed that the workshop in Arizona installed new drag links and 2 weeks later at the Spartan facility they fitted guess what...new drag links !!!!

So there is a serious problem here.....

If Entegra aren't careful these Spartan steering issues are going seriously damage their brand as if you were just about to purchase a new RV and read more and more owners reporting steering issues most of which still haven't had these issues rectified after 18 months.

I have personally received probably more than a dozen potential buyers who have written to me personally from my Blog/Youtube channel saying that they now won't be buying and Entegra or that they will hold back from buying an Entegra until they see a satisfactory solution to this issue.

Yes I agree with most people out there the Entegra coach brand is a fine product but if the chassis it's riding on is bringing the product down then Entegra should be in charge of their own destiny and have a purpose made chassis produced, as Spartan are doing them no favours. Whats also worrying for those of us who have these problems (which are more than you may think) is that Spartan haven't got a clue what the problem is, if they had they would have fixed it by now.

I'll keep you posted on what if anything is fixed on mine and if it finally fixes the problem....
Glenn
G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #51

Glenn,

You never stated what Perry Legend in Missouri did to the coach?

Did they fix or do anything that made a difference?
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Glen, thanks for posting this info. It's a shame they can't get these coaches to run straight down the road.

Your coach must have something that's loose as it keeps changing.

Please keep us update.
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #53
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Perry Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Glenn,

You never stated what Perry Legend in Missouri did to the coach?

Did they fix or do anything that made a difference?

Perry legend realigned the rear two axels so that they were heading in the same direction as the front, They also re aligned the steering timing and steering wheel. The Rv did appear to be better (it couldn't be any worst) but the test drive that we did with them was in a really strong cross wind. The following day we were driving with no cross wind and at first it did seem to be better but as the day went on it was pretty much back to what it was before. So as we were heading down to Texas we had to have the exact same job carried out...And so it goes on..... I have to admit that I'm getting a bit bored with it all now! So they have one more chance to put it right.
G
Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Glenn, I have been to the same shops, except AZ that you have. Perry Legends did the same to my coach with the 3 axle alignment and even pulled the steering wheel again trying to get it centered. It drove well except for the crooked steering wheel.

I called Charlie Fisher at Spartan after leaving Perry Legends. Perry Legends had emailed him a copy of the alignment report. He had me take it to the Spartan shop at Lazy Day on the way home where they adjusted the (I believe) the tie rod ends with the coaching of Spartan. I am almost finally straight after 2 years. No more darting and lane changes.

To do this is simple after the front end is in alignment. The MH is put on the rack, the tie rods are taken loose, someone holds the steering wheel straight and the tie rods are adjusted to the steering and put back on. The 125 miles home was the best the Entegra has handled so far. We leave for Middlebury tomorrow and I will know more after the 1,200 miles.

I had the same adjustment done on the Travel Supreme in 10 minutes and it drove great for 10 years. It also had the crooked steering wheel when I purchased it.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #55
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Lemon Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
Why do we have to pay to get a ride that was promised in the first place? What I dislike is the look of surprise when I bring the coach in like I am the only one that is having this problem.

I am done trying - 5X times to get this resolved only to be told it is within specs.

I will let the Florida Lemon Law decide.
Can you let me know how you get on with the Lemon Law stuff as this is a road I will probably end up going down (I also purchased my Rv in Florida) They haven't been able to fix my issues the last 7 times so I'm not really sure what they are going to do differently this time!

Glenn
Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Glenn, I live in FL and had my MT LLC all set and ready to go for the Entegra. When we had to send the coach back to Entegra after delivery, my FL attorney told me I would have to register the MH in FL to be able to file under the FL Lemon Law during my warranty period. That was expensive, but had to be done as it was where I resided. In FL selling dealers are 100% exempt from the Lemon Law.

I Google MT Lemon Law:
Montana Lemon Law Rights

In order to be considered a lemon in Montana the vehicle must:
  • Be under 2 years old and have fewer than 18,000 miles on the odometer.
  • Have undergone at least 3 attempts at repair by the manufacturer.
  • Be out of service due to the defect for a total of 30 business days or more during the warranty period.

Tags
steering