Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Our last coach was a 400 HP ISL, which is very close to the 450 and has almost the same torque (1200 versus 1250). We've been all over with it, plenty of 11,000' summits, lots of switchbacks (such as the Beartooth Highway), etc. It always got us there with reasonable speed. You don't set any speed records but you aren't a moving chicane either. As to trucks, we have been passed by some but they were empty and Pet's or KW's (usually loggers) with big engines and a schedule to keep. Granted, the Cornerstone is a much more enjoyable drive in those conditions, both up and down, but if an anthem is in your price range just go for it, sit back and enjoy. When you get to the campground and park next to me my engine will still be warm because there isn't that much difference in time.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
As some have alluded, you have to drive the coach in the mountains, not let the cruise control drive it. Economy mode slows shift schedule so the engine performs better in grades with that mode disabled. A little added throttle prior to a climb and it does just fine. I have driven I-80 across Wyoming several times with altitudes up to around 9,000' and grades of 7% or a little more and rarely slowed below 50-55mph, when I did it was my fault.

If you lose momentum in a climb you probably won't get it back. I had to hit the brakes for a car halfway up Raton Pass and crested at 30mph.

Our lifetime mileage in a spreadsheet is 7.6mpg which includes some generator and Aquahot use. Our dash computer often shows 8.8mpg on a trip and has shown >10. I set my cruise control at 62mph. If I'm in a hurry I don't drive a 44,000 pound shoebox.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
As some have alluded, you have to drive the coach in the mountains, not let the cruise control drive it. Economy mode slows shift schedule so the engine performs better in grades with that mode disabled. A little added throttle prior to a climb and it does just fine. I have driven I-80 across Wyoming several times with altitudes up to around 9,000' and grades of 7% or a little more and rarely slowed below 50-55mph, when I did it was my fault.

If you lose momentum in a climb you probably won't get it back. I had to hit the brakes for a car halfway up Raton Pass and crested at 30mph.

Our lifetime mileage in a spreadsheet is 7.6mpg which includes some generator and Aquahot use. Our dash computer often shows 8.8mpg on a trip and has shown >10. I set my cruise control at 62mph. If I'm in a hurry I don't drive a 44,000 pound shoebox.

Vance & Robin
I 100% agree with you Vance.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Took CS out to San Diego in November from Tucson via I-8. From Yuma heading west there are some hills that go from sea level to about 4,400' and some 7% grades. Speed limit towing in CA is 55, so at the line I set cruise control at 55 and enjoyed the scenery. Passed everything on grades but cars, and it never dropped off lower than 53 and ran on cruise all the way. The CS is a powerhouse! And averaged 6.8 back to TX from SDCA running on cruise in CA and 75 from AZ line to Dallas, another surprise! This with 4K miles towing about 6K.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Took CS out to San Diego in November from Tucson via I-8. From Yuma heading west there are some hills that go from sea level to about 4,400' and some 7% grades. Speed limit towing in CA is 55, so at the line I set cruise control at 55 and enjoyed the scenery. Passed everything on grades but cars, and it never dropped off lower than 53 and ran on cruise all the way. The CS is a powerhouse! And averaged 6.8 back to TX from SDCA running on cruise in CA and 75 from AZ line to Dallas, another surprise! This with 4K miles towing about 6K.
That pretty much mirrors my findings except we do steeper and higher grades out in WY and MT. It seems that the CS likes it at higher speeds and doesn't give you a fuel economy penalty like my ISL did. It does make it up by eating more DEF though. Where I used to do more manual shifting, cruise works fine in the CS for most cases. It is an effortless drive.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Now to the next step, 44B or 44DEQ? : )
bitubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That pretty much mirrors my findings except we do steeper and higher grades out in WY and MT. It seems that the CS likes it at higher speeds and doesn't give you a fuel economy penalty like my ISL did. It does make it up by eating more DEF though. Where I used to do more manual shifting, cruise works fine in the CS for most cases. It is an effortless drive.
The ISX's pretty much take the need for anything but cruise control out of the equation!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #22

After doing a ton of research and sitting in most of the floor plans, my vote is for the "B". But that's JMHO! They are all great, so all the best to you no matter which floor plan you choose.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Vance mentioned that you have to "drive" the mountains. I'm working on our first trip out west - WY, MT, Utah ...etc. this summer. Neither myself or Dan have driven in those type of mountains. When you say "drive" ... what exactly do you do with an Anthem or Aspire? Manually drop down a gear before you hit an incline? And then do you just let the engine brake work on the decline - with a few hits on the brakes if you need them?

Advice is greatly appreciated!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, get a running start at the passes and keep the RPM's up as long as possible in 6th gear. Before the engine starts to lug down, down shift a gear to keep the RPM's above 1450 if possible. Using the cruise control is normally a little slow to downshift. Once a slow truck in front of you stops the RPM range, it's all over. I don't mind having to slow down, it's all the cars behind me and no place to pull over that bothers me when on non Interstate passes.

You have the right idea using the engine brake. The two stage is really nice. Switching between the two is fine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Vance mentioned that you have to "drive" the mountains. I'm working on our first trip out west - WY, MT, Utah ...etc. this summer. Neither myself or Dan have driven in those type of mountains. When you say "drive" ... what exactly do you do with an Anthem or Aspire? Manually drop down a gear before you hit an incline? And then do you just let the engine brake work on the decline - with a few hits on the brakes if you need them?

Advice is greatly appreciated!
Lynn, when I had the Anthem we drove the Rockies several times. Wolf Creek pass, lizard head pass etc. I never tried to use cruise control or economy mode in the mountains. I also never manually shifted the transmission. Allison built it and I'm sure they're at least as knowledgable as we are as to when it should shift. Of course if you're just looking for something to do you can't hurt it, but I'd rather spend my time driving and let the tranny take care of the shifting. Like Chuck said for the jake brake use it as necessary and toggling between low and high to control speed is fine. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Pretty significant differences between a 44B and 42DEQ.

44B is 45', 42DEQ is 43'
44B has a bath and a half, 42DEQ is mid-ship bath only
Very different basement storage

We are happy our DEQ; 2' for maneuvering isn't that big a deal, bath is easily accessible with slides in, we haven't had an urgent need for a second toilet, "one less bathroom to keep clean."

I have been a little jealous over the additional basement storage of the 44B.

Vance & Robin
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn,

Remember during your Spartan course and Mikes favorite words, "Drive it like you stole it". In the mountains and hills don't use Economy mode as the shifts will come at too slow of a speed and you will lose your momentum. If the transmission is not shifting soon enough to keep the rpm's up around 1700-1800 then do not hesitate to shift manually to 5th and to 4th on the steeper grades.

The engine brake (low and high) is your best friend going down the grades.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn - For me a big thing is to take it out of Economy mode so the transmission will downshift sooner. The few times I have manually downshifted if felt like I screwed it up because I wasn't sure what I was doing when odd numbers showed up, i.e. "2-4", "4-4", etc and it seemed very slow to return to normal numbers on the downslope.

I usually leave cruise control on during the climb but assist with throttle, again, getting some throttle momentum up before the slope begins and have positive throttle as it begins and during the climb. If speed decays more than about 5mph I tap the brake to disengage cruise because it is no longer effective and won't catch up.

Cruise control delays the engine brake on downslopes. Cruise will let you go 10-15mph above set speed before the engine brake engages. If I leave cruise on during the climb I tap it off on when my speed goes past my comfort zone on the descent.

I leave my engine brake in Low all the time and bump it to High on steep descents then back to Low when it's over.

Something I learned after having the coach for a while is the engine brake lights the toad brake lights which is very good! Not sure it if lights the coach brake lights or not, seems to be a disagreement there.

Vance & Robin