Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Am I crazy?

Typically the answer is YES! However in this case, I'm not sure. I am planning my first long trip in the coach after I retire at the end of the year. I live in WA, and planning a trip to Alabama via Los Angeles. I want to travel more back roads than freeways. So I was thinking that I'd travel I-5 down to Salem OR (because it will be January, I want to get South quickly), then cut over to the coast and take hwy 101 to LA.
When I mentioned that to a family member, she said I'd get about 10 miles down 101 and want to head back to I-5. She couldn't imagine taking a big rig down the coast.
So, is my plan crazy? Has anyone done this and regretted it? If no regrets, was it challenging?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have driven the 101 from Santa Maria to Cresent city into OR. Absolutely no problem and would highly recommend it.

Now Hwy 1,no way no how.

Safe travels
Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

I’m am from Louisiana, so factor that in. But I have traveled up and down “the 5” and “the 101” for hundreds of miles in my Dynasty and my Anthem. If you were thinking of going down Route 1, you would easily earn the description of CRAZY. Now if you meant the 101, there is little reason you could not do it, but it is busy and your progress will be slow. But listen to Californians like RubiconTrail as they are better sources.

Since you are new to big trips, keep this in mind. You are 13’ tall (maybe a little taller if a Trav’ler is installed) and all major highway bridges are at least 14’ or higher. If you drive on most Interstates, you can relax and just drive, and just worry about places to fuel, road construction, very narrow lanes, and stop and go traffic (but you get the idea). However, if you decide you are going to drive smaller roads, you are going to spend a lot more time carefully making sharp right and left turns at intersections in cities, or stop and go in city or urban traffic. I love doing that stuff in the toad, but driving the Anthem towing the toad on smaller roads is always an anxious experience.

Some motorcoach owners prefer small roads. To each their own. But I tour in my Honda toad and I make time and miles in my 45’ tag axle on interstates. Your experience may vary.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Before you leave did you get your jacks up? No fix was ever posted. Hope your coach is ready to travel.

101 is beautiful. We took Hwy 1 from Ventura all the way to OR except the small area north of San Franciscan where MH are not allowed. Hwy 1 is breath taking, but not a highway that everyone would be comfortable with. Going south, is not comfortable for a passenger as they will be looking over a lot of cliffs. I would not drive it going south.

Personally I would take 101 over I-5 any day of the week. We are also byway travelers and will do everything possible to not be on the Interstates counting trucks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
JMO but if I was doing the trip down the coast, I would take the 101 in Oregon down into California. Then make an effort to go around San Francisco (visit it in the toad). So north of the bay area, I would jog back over to I-5. You could go back to the 101 near the Salinas CA area. Find a campground and visit the Monterey Bay area using your tow vehicle.

From Salinas, travel south on the 101 (stay OFF Hwy 1!) to Paso Robles and spend a few days in the area touring the wine country. Use Paso Robles as a base while you tour the coast (Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo).

From Paso Robles, jog back east to Bakersfield and from there to Las Vegas. Stay at the Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort. It's very nice and a few of the entegra folks here on the forum, winter there.

Personally, I would NOT go anywhere near Los Angeles!! Nothing but slow bumper to bumper traffic which is no fun in a 45' coach or even in a car. I've done both and it wasn't fun.

Otherwise, all I can say is take your time and have a fantastic trip!!
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Before you leave did you get your jacks up? No fix was ever posted. Hope your coach is ready to travel.

101 is beautiful. We took Hwy 1 from Ventura all the way to OR except the small area north of San Franciscan where MH are not allowed. Hwy 1 is breath taking, but not a highway that everyone would be comfortable with. Going south, is not comfortable for a passenger as they will be looking over a lot of cliffs. I would not drive it going south.

Personally I would take 101 over I-5 any day of the week. We are also byway travelers and will do everything possible to not be on the Interstates counting trucks.
Never got the jacks up. However I did review the PJ video and now know that I can manually lift them (after I get a few more tools). Of course that doesn't fix the problem but it gets me on the road. I won't get back to the coach for a couple of weeks, so getting them up will need to wait.
I understand the issue with the LA area, but we are visiting friends in Long Beach for a week (haven't found a RV park yet).
101 sounds promising. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know about hwy 1 too.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've run 101 that route many times in the coach and also a Miata. Miata was more fun!!!

When you go through San Francisco study your maps first so you know where you going.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #9

In Paso Robles, stay at the Wine Country RV Park.
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Funny, we were just going to ask about the 101 from Astoria down to northern Cali. This will be our shakedown trip with our new (to us) 01 Triple E AF 34 XL.

Relative newbies to taking a toad, so that was going to be our question. Do we take the toad for the shakedown trip on the 101 or leave it at home?

Our biggest worries are gassing up with a toad as we’ve not done this before. Our gas tank is driver’s side, so we will require an inside lane at fuel up. Are we overly worried, or is being cautious the best played card

Are we crazy for not taking the toad? All opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Funny, we were just going to ask about the 101 from Astoria down to northern Cali. This will be our shakedown trip with our new (to us) 01 Triple E AF 34 XL.

Relative newbies to taking a toad, so that was going to be our question. Do we take the toad for the shakedown trip on the 101 or leave it at home?

Our biggest worries are gassing up with a toad as we’ve not done this before. Our gas tank is driver’s side, so we will require an inside lane at fuel up. Are we overly worried, or is being cautious the best played card

Thanks all!
Take the toad...When you are down to under a half tank start looking for gas stations. I never use the big Pilot, Flying J, etc stations as they are full of nimrods and a bit tight for turning. I look for stations that are large and empty, if it's more money I don't care, I want room to maneuver.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Geezer Ize,

In Long Beach we have stayed a few times at Golden Shores. Not the greatest RV park but very well situated and convenient.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We stayed outside of SF and went across the Golden Gate Bridge about 8 AM on a Sunday morning. It was nice crossing and seeing that beautiful sight while everyone was sleeping. Any other time, bypass SF. I was raised in Santa Monica, and I won't even go back to the LA area now It's 24 hour a day rush hour traffic, earlier the better on a weekend to go to Long Beach.
You'll be coming down in the winter so Pacific Coast Highway (101) from Santa Barbara south should not be to bad. Going through Malibu and Pacific Palisades where a lot of movies are filmed is enjoyable to see and also beautiful as you travel along the coast. PCH ends in Santa Monica and merges onto I-10 then just a few miles to the San Diego Freeway, not sure the number, I think it's the 5 now. Or you can pick up the 101 freeway in Ventura and start the LA traffic mess about 20 miles east in the San Fernando Valley where it starts getting bad. I like the PCH, at least you can say you've been on Hwy 1 , but it is nice and straight in that area and a lot more scenic. You'll travel the area where the Santa Monica mountains meet the ocean....very scenic, Movie Star mansions, and no trucks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post

For sure take the toad. People do it all the time and you can too. You will get so much more out of your trip if you have the toad with you.

As for fueling, decide on roughly where you will want to fuel the day before. Use the GasBuddy app on your computer or smartphone to search for gas stations in that area. Then use Google Earth to view the station from above. In this way you can choose a station that has plenty of room to maneuver.

By the time you finish the trip you will be a pro and be very glad you took the toad.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote