Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Am I Crazy for Not Liking Keyless Start???

It seems just about most, if not all of the manufactures are going to keyless, push-to-start ignition systems... at least on their higher end models if not all. I really hate the keyless start as it seems like jumping through hoops to start and stop the engine. Push twice to wait for "Wait to Start", or hold brake and push once to wait for "Wait to Start", then hold brake and push again to start. If air pressure is not built up, then hold override button instead of holding the brake. Then at stop location, hold brake and press to stop engine. Then on top of all of that, the ignition module range is not the greatest, so the key fob must be relatively close to the ignition to start with.

Is it just me, or would anyone else rather have the "old fashioned" ignition key? Would I be crazy if I asked Entegra/Spartan to change out the keyless start for the old fashioned keyed ignition? I know I can have unpopular preferences (at least that's how some may view it, but it's still just a preference, which we all have), such as, being able to coast with the engine brake on, but I am really not liking the keyless ignition.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can't agree with you more.

We rented a car on our last trip that had that. HATED IT.

Planning to buy a new car next year and I guarantee you, it will not be one of those.

Incidentally, I am still mad that they got rid of the Hi-Lo beam switch on the floor and put it on the steering column.

But that's just me.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Keyless start on everything we own for about 10 years

Remote start is handy with the phone or fob

Love it

Tuscany is very simple, you just hold the button in

You can use the key but why?

Push button start is a must for us as is automatically diming lights and auto on off
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am not a big fan of it either, but it is a lot faster going though all the DEF sensor checks than my 14 was with the key. Turn the key on and wait and wait and wait for the CEL to go off before starting. If you did not, a CEL and 1081 code could be riding with you for up to a 1,000 miles or 5 or more start cycles before it went away. For that reason, I do like the preformace better of the key-less better.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
IC2

I think what I dislike more then the keyless start is that chunk of metal and plastic fob that has to be carried now. If you have 2-3 vehicles, it gets to be a big wad in your pocket. Then add the usual house, office, desk, various RV and maybe a few more regular keys and the key ring gets unmanageable. I believe I have 4 key rings now with more odd keys just lying in a drawer.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Keyless start on everything we own for about 10 years

Remote start is handy with the phone or fob

Love it

Tuscany is very simple, you just hold the button in

You can use the key but why?

Push button start is a must for us as is automatically diming lights and auto on off
Keyless start in a car is one thing, but it's a totally different animal in a motorhome (at least the motorhome I've seen) given the "Wait-to-Start" heater grid, range (lack of) and the air brake interlock.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Dewey, the big advantage of push-to-start is that you can brag to your really old friends that your motorhome has what they had on their cars had back in the ’40’s and ‘50’s!

Progress is a wonderful thing…
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm generally a fan of most newer technology. Sometimes people propose solutions to problems I never knew I had. Like keyless entry and start systems. For me I won't own such a system. I too really hate all of the FAT key heads on my keyring in my pocket. If you carried a bag no big deal, but I don't like all that added bulk.

As for ease of use, a simple key was easy to use. Do you really know how all of that works, like keyless entry when the chassis battery is dead dead and you're on the outside. My sister and brother-in-law described the pain and troubles in great detail.

I'll buy something older before I buy any of those solutions that don't really gain me much. Now if I was James Bond needing to make a get away under fire then perhaps so.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

Dont tell anyone....

My fob is sitting in the change tray in the console and never leaves. The door is locked, and unlocked by my code in the Tri-Mark grab bar.

Beyond that, how is putting your foot on the brake pedal, and pushing in the start button for 3 seconds a serious problem????

I was quite happy with a key for 55 years, but this has not been a big problem. Someone deciding I needed help in driving this coach (CMS and ACC) is a much bigger pain in the butt, and no one seems to care much about that either.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dont tell anyone....

My fob is sitting in the change tray in the console and never leaves. The door is locked, and unlocked by my code in the Tri-Mark grab bar.

Beyond that, how is putting your foot on the brake pedal, and pushing in the start button for 3 seconds a serious problem????

I was quite happy with a key for 55 years, but this has not been a big problem. Someone deciding I needed help in driving this coach (CMS and ACC) is a much bigger pain in the butt, and no one seems to care much about that either.

Gary
Gary, I didn't call it a "serious problem" (no animosity intended), but I did equate it to having to jump through hoops. First, I much rather use that nice change tray for other things. But more importantly, after the jumping through hoops part comes the dependence on the key fob. I would rate losing or misplacing a key -vs- a key fob about the same. However, the chance of failure of a simple key -vs- a key fob is night and day! Then if a key did fail, a spare key is much easier than a spare key fob. Also, an ignition switch is much easier to replace than a keyless module. I wish nothing but THE BEST for you and seriously hope that the issues you have had/are having days are very short numbered, but you can imagine if the keyless ignition were a part of that? Every time you boarded the coach, you would be praying for a successful start.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Like Everything else it’s all a preference... I personally think that technology is cool..
As I do not have That in my entegra I do have it in a car I own and it is not a problem. I would not mind it in a motor home either ..it’s the new technology and
I would embrace that .. I can see where sometimes getting used a different process can be irritating also...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I think what I dislike more then the keyless start is that chunk of metal and plastic fob that has to be carried now. If you have 2-3 vehicles, it gets to be a big wad in your pocket. Then add the usual house, office, desk, various RV and maybe a few more regular keys and the key ring gets unmanageable. I believe I have 4 key rings now with more odd keys just lying in a drawer.
Nice part about the Entegra, it has push button entry as well. No need to carry the fob unless you want to. Mine sits in the cup holder close enough to use the push button start. Lock and unlock the coach with push buttons on the door handle..
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Put me in the column of those that don't care either way. Whatever it takes to start it and get on the road is okay by me
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Keyless start in a car is one thing, but it's a totally different animal in a motorhome (at least the motorhome I've seen) given the "Wait-to-Start" heater grid, range (lack of) and the air brake interlock.
Keyless start works perfectly in the Tuscany

No different than following the correct key procedure and if you want you can get the key out and use it
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote