Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Another squirrel cage barrel roller

Another squirl cage barell roller, shredded on my center AC. Lucky I had 2 in basement of coach. Just did 1 3 months ago. Why does this always happen on the roads. Murphy throws another jab. 1 good thing is im getting better at installing them haa haaa. and I know the sound when they go. took about 40 minutes whole time sheri is saying below be careful be careful. At any rate think il order 1 more so I will have 2 extra again. Only thing is I wish they would make them out of something other than plastic hot glued together in the middle
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It would really help and educate others if you added some details, like make, model of the A/C, perhaps some photos and steps needed to replace the fan.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and had my first TT in 1967. In all that time I've never had a blower motor or squirrel cage break. Must be something new in the air?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #4

Yes mr D. It's called plastic.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Flynn. Pull the cover off 4 screws Then the grey cage cover 4 nuts. Remove barrel 1 screw on the shaft yank barrel I add some anti seize to make it easy to pull if needed again then put back in reverse otder. They are Mach. Ac. Units
Old 11-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
May have something to do with spending your days in hot weather all the time...if I was betting, I'd wager your ACs get twice the workout or more than most folks.

The barrel blower fan going out is a little unusual compared to most AC problems. I am beginning to think the life expectancy of these roof units is about two years under heavy use (read more than 1/2 the year operating in the desert at temps greater than 90 deg F. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #7

I have had 4 blower wheel failures in less than 3 years. You'll know the rat a tat tat when it fails. Always fails where the two haves are welded together. Factory says they had never heard of this problem before but now have new and improved welds. Go figure. The blower wheels are plastic so not hard to replace, but they should last longer.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV
Old 11-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
May have something to do with spending your days in hot weather all the time...if I was betting, I'd wager your ACs get twice the workout or more than most folks.

The barrel blower fan going out is a little unusual compared to most AC problems. I am beginning to think the life expectancy of these roof units is about two years under heavy use (read more than 1/2 the year operating in the desert at temps greater than 90 deg F. JMHO
Dave must have been that 114 week in vegas.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Would JB weld fix a blower fan for a road repair? Seems like it would if it is welded plastic. I had a plastic air manifold that split at the weld on the TS on ours maiden voyage. JB welded it on Vail Pass to get to Denver. Cummins said 2 weeks for the part..... go ahead and run your repair, its' probably stronger than a new one would be. It was still holding 11 years later and holding with 125 PSI of air pressure.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyd51 View Post

Factory says they had never heard of this problem before

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV

Standard answer I heard very often at a large truck dealership from the service manager to explain many issues !
I quickly learned not to accept his explanation and talked directly to the tech working on my trucks.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Would JB weld fix a blower fan for a road repair? Seems like it would if it is welded plastic. I had a plastic air manifold that split at the weld on the TS on ours maiden voyage. JB welded it on Vail Pass to get to Denver. Cummins said 2 weeks for the part..... go ahead and run your repair, its' probably stronger than a new one would be. It was still holding 11 years later and holding with 125 PSI of air pressure.

Don't think it would help in this case. Blades usually get twisted and chunks broken off.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV
Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and had my first TT in 1967. In all that time I've never had a blower motor or squirrel cage break. Must be something new in the air?

My Coach came with Carrier Air V, which of course is no longer made. See note below marked NOT FOR SALE.

I had one blower motor fail, and eventually the replacement failed as well due to a misunderstanding, The other A/C failed, (Between motor failures) so I had a spare motor (I "Scrapped" a few parts). and now the one with the failures has failed as well so I have spare parts for a Carrier. NOT FOR SALE

The first replacement was an Advent Air.. the fan blew up (new fan is off a Coleman) and the replacement for the 2nd is a Coleman.. Kind of new (Month old roughly as of today) Coleman.

The moral is I've had failures.

Neighbor had his Squirrel cage crack, got very noisy. I saw him up on the roof so joined him took us almost no time to figure it out, Late Friday, nearest RV store is minutes from closing and 30 miles away, nearest CW over 100 and likewise. Where's he going to get a replacement?..... My basement, one of the parts I'd saved off my first failure.

NOT FOR SALE.. Two outer covers (Cowels) 1 Good motor, one rebuildable motor, one blower one fan and a start cap or two.

NOT FOR SALE, you want 'em, come and get em and thank you I give the ultimate money back guarantee.. Your FREE is already refunded.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
yes it would hold let it dry over night it should hold as only 2 or 3 blades break but make a lot of racket 4 bolts pull cover 4 ome pull grey domed cover u will see the basket
Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=brobox;3333938]Would JB weld fix a blower fan for a road repair?

Possibly yhes but there is a major difference between the blower and your air manifold.

The Air Manifold does not move relative to stuff around it

The blower spins at many RPM.

Thus the blower like a Wheel needs to be balanced else it will vibrate and said vibration will damage the bearings on the motor.. I mentioned having to replace a moter on one of my Carriers up-thread 2 from this. The reason was an out of balance fan caused vibration and I took too long to re-balance it (out of balance due to insect nest attached, routine cleaning fixed it but the damage was already done) So you can use JB weld, but be careful to balance the job.

Oh, and thanks... I'd forgotten what killed that motor.. You reminded me.