Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Anthem in storage-dead batteries

We have a 2013 Entegra Anthem that has been in "cold" storage since late November, we go up once/month to check for rodents, start it up, generator, etc. Last month when we went up the house batteries were dead, chassis batteries fired right up. The owner of the storage facility allowed us to plug in, we switched off the chassis batteries and left. Got there yesterday (3.5 weeks later). They had had some power outages over the past few weeks, so the breaker was tripped that we were plugged into (could have been without power for 2 weeks). The house batteries were dead, flipped the switch for the chassis batteries, they were dead too? Couldn't start the generator? Plugged it in for few minutes, fired up the generator, waited then boosted the chassis batteries, fired right up. Are we missing something here? Tried to disconnect the Co2 detector, but it looked to be hard wired. Technically my husband should probably be typing this message, think I got everything right. Anyway... thoughts/ideas on what's going on, why and what can/should we do to fix this. Good news, no rodents!

Tamatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Detectors are often hard wired with fuses in strange locations and I have to physically disconnect mine.

If it has been literally in cold storage and the batteries were run flat it is possible the batteries have frozen and been permanently damaged.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Make sure your basement lights are out when the doors are closed (there is a manual switch). I have been through many posts and I've not seen anything with any coach that would suggest that you need a trickle charger; however, I kow the cold plays hell with my motorcycle, thus requiring a trickle charger.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Dead batteries part Deux

I took delivery of my Aspire on 23 Nov from Orlando RV and took it on a short learning trip for 5 days then parked it at my storage place for about 10 days (because I am still working!). The storage guys told me it wouldn't start unless using battery boost. This happened twice more. The last time my DW and I were returning to the RV on a very dark night and she asked me about the unusual lights under the steps and front bumper.....hmmmm. I found that either the factory, Orlando RV, or somebody playing with switches had left the service light on above the generator. ( I have never used it). Flash forward to recently I was having problems starting the RV so I called Entegra and they recommended I take it to a Spartan repair guy. At the Spartan repair shop they found one chassis battery was producing 1 volt and the other below 12 v. Upon removal they found my front battery had catastrophically failed and cracked open on the back side away from view, spilling acid. The theory is the totally dead batteries drew excessive current when being recharged. I now use the coach shutoff switches in the stairwell followed by the small yellow CB disconnect on the chassis batteries. It messes up my radio presets ever time.

Moral of the story....check every one of those compartment lights
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
And lo and behold...get home this evening from Mardi Gras and I see a light...my response wasn't biblical. Thanks for the comment about the generator light. Mine was on bright. It has probably been drawing current for six weeks now.

Entegra...please tell your dealers to turn out the lights they turn on and to show the new customer where all the light switches are.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Generator service light left on at delivery

DSL417

Did you purchase your RV at Orlando RV a.k.a. RVOne?......I did

Maybe Entegra left the light on at the factory.....but maybe it was Orlando RV
2016 Ford Edge toad
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
RVOne, but I'll say this...

The 46 point checklist that you initial off on, and that Entegra touts as the key to successfully living in your coach and understanding its systems, doesn't do it. And signing it seems more a legal thing, or a cover for the dealership. So I guess it is a natural thing that we really learn by mistake and these forums as opposed to really ever getting much from the servicing dealership. That said, their YouTube videos help as well.

I'm pretty sure they left mine on when they replaced my camera cable the second week in January.

There have been several posts and threads in the last several weeks about running the battery down. Unknown lights on underneath, or who knows where else, IMHO, is a likely source...and these techs, when they work on stuff, they should know to button things up properly and "turn out the lights".

How many of us, without reason, open the generator compartment, on a whim. I'm in a relatively dark park now...I saw through the seams last night that I was on. I don't remember being shown the switches on the basement lights during CDI (I'd have to look at the checklist to see if it is an item and says that I did; but that doesn't accomplish anything). So I won't criticize anyone other than techs that don't finish the job
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Dead battery and the design of coach

DSL417

I agree about the need for the delivery to improve but I also find a flaw in the design. My recently traded 2002 Monaco had the storage bay lights wired to the Coach battery system. When you hit the disconnect on that switch, everything that had a light went out to prevent dead batteries. It appears to me the storage bays should be wired to the coach batteries vs the chassis batteries.

IMO
2016 Ford Edge toad
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

I have a Jayco Grey Hawk 31SS, 2009.

I can turn my house battery master switch and within an hour or two the battery is dead.
Got a new battery. Same results! See my thread about battery drain in the Class C forum.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #10

Same problem, generator light on after PDI

Read posts with generator light on post PDI. Checked mine, it has been on since delivery 1/28/2013.

Tags
batteries