Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

Anthem induction cooktop

Was looking at Entegra's website this evening. In looking around I did not find that an induction cooktop was an option. When we were shopping/info gathering early in the 2015 model intros, one of the dealers had this listed as one of the new(2015) upgrades over the previous year. We ordered our 44B Anthem( June 1) and were later told we would NOT be getting the induction. I told our dealer that I considered this a must have item. After some time I was told this would put a 3 week delay on our delivery. I said this was acceptable. After checking the website I am now wondering if anyone else has gotten this option. Our coach was delivered very early in October. We really enjoy our coach AND the induction.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

I get my anthem end of this week and it is supposed to have an electric (non induction) cooktop. If it's induction, it will be a surprise to us!!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2014 Anthem (build date Jan-feb14). It came without the induction top. I thought the 2015s would have the induction top. My understanding is the Cornerstone does but my understanding of the Anthem is unsure.

I retrofitted an induction top in my RV as a DIY project and we love it. I wouldn't pass on your deal because IMHO you could get a kitchen guy to swap it out for about $1000 .
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Our Cornerstone did come with an induction cooktop but officially the 2015 Anthems do not. However, some and maybe all are now coming with it out of the factory. All JMHO
Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Our Anthem didn't have an induction and my plan was to swap it out for one after delivery. However, I've used the electric burners a couple of times and think I'll just stick with them - at least for the time being. They work fine. Only negative I have with the "kitchen" is that anytime I cook anything in the convection microwave, once I open it - the fire alarm goes off. Guess the alarm is way to close to the "heat" from the food or oven. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix, other than disconnecting it, which I won't do!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
On the 21015's they did drop installing the induction cooktop. Those that have installed them have had them installed by Precision Paint or other installers. That was probably why the 3 week delay in manufacturing....... they had to do a custom install.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Pros vs Cons of installing induction top in Anthem

My 14 Anthem came with the Kenyon radiant cooktop. I retro fitted the Tru a Induction countertop cooktop and we are pleased with it. Here are some things to consider;

Pros to going induction
1 Less heat goes into coach
2. Tru induction top is what Winnebago, Itasca, Newmar installs
3. Top fits great and does not require re-wiring. Runs on 110v
4. Top has safety features and will not come on unless an induction compatable Pan is on the burner.

Cons to retro fitting the Tru Induction
1. The factory Kenyon top is a higher wattage. If you want more heat to cook it will heat two pans faster.
2. The retro fit requires skill with cabinets and countertop. Not a job to try in a campground with a hacksaw.
3. The cooktop is oriented 90 Deg to the cooktop to fit the countertop. My DW likes it but some may not.
4. Induction tops require compatable pans. Most "pretty" aluminum pans will not work. Ironically most cheap iron pans will. Cast iron works fine but can scratch the glass surface. If a magnet will stick to your pan, it will work! DW has a few Le Creuset "shiny pans" that work great, and any of the heavy cast iron pans work....check the carton of your pan for Induction compatability.

See my entry in Mods to your Entegra
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on what Dave says. We love the induction stove but some may not. We bought this pan set and it is wonderful, collapses/nests to a very small space.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Have the induction on our Cornerstone. Generally, pleased wit it. The biggest con is the fact that it doesn't put out a lot of heat. Boiling span of water for pasta is a challenge. Other than that it is fine.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
From what I am reading water should boil within 3 minutes.. It depends on the Pots & Pans you are using.. the burner itself doesn't get hot. the pot or pan gets hot. If the pots aren't true induction pots they might not heat up as quickly, look for pots with a stainless steel base. I just got these induction pots and pans from amazon..they are T-fal and are a nice set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garyhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Have the induction on our Cornerstone. Generally, pleased wit it. The biggest con is the fact that it doesn't put out a lot of heat. Boiling span of water for pasta is a challenge. Other than that it is fine.

Something wrong. I have the two burner free standing True Induction cooktop. It heats water to boil faster than gas.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

For those of you who are a bit health conscious you might want to consider the potential health risks associates with electromagnetic fields. The Federal Office of Public Health has these recommendations:

• Use the right size of cookware for the size of the cooking zone; don't put a small pan on a large zone, but use a pan that covers the cooking zone completely. Always place the pan in the middle of the cooking zone.
  • Don’t use damaged pans with buckled or rounded bases, even if they can still be heated without difficulty.
  • Persons standing close to the hob or who touch the worktop with their body during cooking are advised to use the rear cooking fields, or the front cooking fields at reduced power.
  • It is vital to use specially manufactured pans to ensure that energy is transmitted efficiently from the hob to the pan. They are labelled by the manufacturer as suitable for induction cooking. The best pans to use are the ones supplied with the hob.
  • Exposure to magnetic fields can be reduced greatly by keeping a distance of 5-10 cm between your body and the hob.
  • Don’t use metal cooking spoons to prevent leakage current from flowing through your body.
  • People with a cardiac pacemaker or an implanted defibrillator should talk to their doctor before using an induction hob.

Note that this is from the Swiss government. The Powerwatch website - Powerwatch News - 11/06/2012 - EMFs from induction cookers exceeds guidance - has a few warnings as well. This is a UK website. The US hasn't really gotten into testing induction cooktops and we really aren't into health quality the way the Europeans are (which is why we eat lots of junk food and drive big motorhomes instead of bicycles ) so there isn't much in the way of induction cooking safety studies on this side of the pond.

Just something to keep in mind when choosing a cooktop type and add in when weighing the other pros and cons.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Our Anthem didn't have an induction and my plan was to swap it out for one after delivery. However, I've used the electric burners a couple of times and think I'll just stick with them - at least for the time being. They work fine. Only negative I have with the "kitchen" is that anytime I cook anything in the convection microwave, once I open it - the fire alarm goes off. Guess the alarm is way to close to the "heat" from the food or oven. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix, other than disconnecting it, which I won't do!

Dan & Lynn,

We had the same trouble with the alarm. As recc. by CS we use the exhaust fan also for micro use. No more alarms!

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUS4US View Post
Dan & Lynn,

We had the same trouble with the alarm. As recc. by CS we use the exhaust fan also for micro use. No more alarms!

Ron.

Thanks- I will give that a try! :-)
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote