Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
well, that may be true for you, but it was definitely not true for me.... the charge cooler was returned to the factory and that was done at a Cummin's owned shop. Maybe that was the issue.

Oh. my radiator was replaced fairly "early" in the radiator problem as it evolved. The radiator had to be dried and sent back for metallurgical analysis as they were trying to get to the bottom of what was failing.

Gary
Sorry should have said not true in all cases.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #30

I just had my 14 anthem at a local freightliner dealer to test my radiator... spartan said it has to be pressure tested with photos.
Clamps and hoses should be checked also... mine came back good. No leaks I guess .. I am still concerned although as my over flow eye is never full ... not sure what more I can do though.. I guess just drive it and hope if it's going to start leaking it will do it soon... my 3 years are almost up....
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Radiator change out complete. One guy, 7.5 hours. Looks like a job well done!!!
You got lucky. Mine took 3 days and they had to cut a bracket and re-weld it. I think there is a learning curve involved here.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #32

Lowejug....

Not to get you really worried but others have reported disappearance of coolant but no proof of a leak in the radiator or hoses, and the problem was that coolant was leaking through some other section of the engine, and the problem was serious. Frankly, I dont remember what the problem was but it was a serious problem and a major repair. You might want to do a comprehensive search of the radiator threads and see if you can find it. Again, dont want to worry you but telling you so that you can look into and evaluate its relevance.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
The leak in my radiator was so small that if the pressure test was done while the radiator was hot, the fluid would evaporate before it could be seen. Once it was cold, then pressure tested again, the leak showed up in the lower left corner.

I was loosing a pint of coolant every 500 to 1000 miles, just enough to be aggravating.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #34

I just made a appointment to have my leak inspected this week. The Spartan shop is telling me if its a bad radiator the whole unit will have to be replaced. On top of that is it's out of warranty.

2013 Anthem RBQ
Marta1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #35

This radiator problem really sucks. I have never been able to see any sign of a leak anywhere but over the course of 20,000 miles I recently realized I have put in almost a gallon of coolant. Just a little bit at a time to keep the level in the middle of the glass when cold and on the level jacks. Sort of a mystery as I know the closed system should not loose any coolant at all but there is no sign of loss on the ground, into the oil or anywhere else

Then, sitting in my driveway in the snow at 8 below there is a 6 inch pink diameter circle under the rear of the radiator. Not a hint of a leak anywhere that I could find but the pink in the snow is troubling. Took to the road with extra coolant on board. 2200 mile later there is no sign of coolant leakage at 75 degrees when cold. I spent way too long on my back with a mag lite and mirror and cannot find a thing. Hose clamps seem fine. Gently snugged them despite no sign of leak from any joint.

Definitely out of warranty but Spartan already offered to help with the parts if I cover the labor if it is the radiator. But....so far doesn't look like the radiator. The take away here is to document with Spartan as soon as you notice any coolant usage or symptoms of a leak. I never thought to mention the steady coolant adds but did get a suspect leak on record with them at this point. If you do it during your warranty period you have much more recourse if a leak occurs later on out of warranty.

The other real problem with coolant loss was leakage at the EGR cooler where the engine coolant is used to cool the portion of exhaust gas being reintroduced as EGR.

I pressurized the system at 75 ambient and see no leaks on the ground or loss of pressure and no sign of smoke or steam from the exhaust on startup after the pressure test.

So.....the pink puddle in the snow at 8 below is a big mystery. I'm getting tired of finding and re-engineering stuff I spent 40 years doing. I thought this was going to be more fun. End of rant.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #36

My leak was only visible on cool down after the engine had been taken to operating temperature. Could only see dampness on the fins of the radiator by putting my head up inside the fan shroud and looking down into the lower left hand corner with a flashlight. The dampness would only last a few hours.

Same symptoms. Missing fluid over time but couldn't find the leak.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Al, I had the same type of leak on the TS that developed after about 5 or 6 years. Never saw any fluid and never found the leak. Pressure tester held 17 psi for hours. Finally gave up and added the small amount of coolant when needed. It would sometimes go 3,000 miles and be fine, next 3,000 miles it would take a pint. Radiator cap pressure tested good too.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #38

well said... I agree as I am almost outa my warranty and I am pretty sure I have the faulty radiator also but at this time I can't prove it.. so now its just nerve racking ,, I was told the same thing to keep crawling under the radiator after every time I drive it with a flash light.
just shouldn't be this way... spartan should man up and replace all the radiators in this faulty time frame....
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
well said... I agree as I am almost outa my warranty and I am pretty sure I have the faulty radiator also but at this time I can't prove it.. so now its just nerve racking ,, I was told the same thing to keep crawling under the radiator after every time I drive it with a flash light.
just shouldn't be this way... spartan should man up and replace all the radiators in this faulty time frame....
If you are almost out of warranty, it would pay to purchase a radiator tester kit, you will need a large truck size in the kit or an adapter sold at NAPA. Put the pressure to the radiator and check both hot and cold. Having the tester is easier than scheduling an appointment and going to a dealer for a limited test. https://www.amazon.com/US-General-Ra.../dp/B001U788FG

I have had one for 40 years and still use it.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #40

I'm having the same problem. A small puddle develops after shut down. I have to add a Solo cup of anti-freeze every 1000 miles. It's doesn't leak when the engine is hot or it's evaporating before it hit the ground. I'm concerned that if I don't find the source of the leak and I'm on the road a complete radiator failure could cause engine overheating and damage.
Marta1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1907 View Post
I'm having the same problem. A small puddle develops after shut down. I have to add a Solo cup of anti-freeze every 1000 miles. It's doesn't leak when the engine is hot or it's evaporating before it hit the ground. I'm concerned that if I don't find the source of the leak and I'm on the road a complete radiator failure could cause engine overheating and damage.

Sounds like you have the exact symptoms of the faulty radiator... call spartan with your photos and ask for help
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #42

Another way to verify the leak if you see no puddles or pressure test is equivocal;

Climb underneath the radiator and look at the bottom where it sits in a channel. You will see a waxy residue of dried Final Charge coolant that has leaked and evaporated.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radiator, replace, replacement