Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #29

Spartan Chassis
This chart (the bottom one) will help you estimate your concentration from the temp reading. Your reading is off of this chart chart, but your concentration based on the temp is around 58%. The target range is 35% - 50% so you’re going to want to add distilled water to your system to make up for the water that’s evaporated over time and bring the concentration down.

http://www.temperaturecorporation.co...quirements.pdf
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
This chart (the bottom one) will help you estimate your concentration from the temp reading. Your reading is off of this chart chart, but your concentration based on the temp is around 58%. The target range is 35% - 50% so you’re going to want to add distilled water to your system to make up for the water that’s evaporated over time and bring the concentration down.

http://www.temperaturecorporation.co...quirements.pdf

Aaahhh yes that’s a much better chart than what aqua hot publishes or at least what I could find. Thanks for confirming my concentration is glycol heavy.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The link Thor provide has the % scale. https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer...2&sr=8-2-spons

Using the picture on Amazon -43 is about 52%. I don't know why making a copy of the photo on Amazon wouldn't work to use with your meter.

Yeah this is definitely the refractometer to get. The scale has the percentage in glycol right there. Mine will work, but I will need to use the chart along with the refractometer. I’m tired of buying refractometers, so I will stick with it. [emoji3]

Hey thanks for getting me straightened out on this. I do appreciate it and hopefully this thread will help someone else out along the way on how to do this.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
I just tested mine the other day it read -15@46%. I also checked for sludge by taking the cap off and shinning a light into the fill tank. I also checked along the fill hose and saw nothing. I have Century Green fluid.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swberry View Post
Hey thanks for getting me straightened out on this. I do appreciate it and hopefully this thread will help someone else out along the way on how to do this.
I learned something, on how to use the meter and the different types. Good post.

Also showed me what I have suspected since day one. I do not believe there is a set formula for Century Fluid. Hard to believe the ratio is that far of on a 1 year old coach. Has new fluid been added much over the year?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #34

Has anyone checked the PH as mentioned on the label for the Century Transfer Fluid? Or, is making sure that the ratio 50/50 adjusting the PH correctly? (assuming you use fresh distilled water or century premixed depending on what your refractometer results are)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Has anyone checked the PH as mentioned on the label for the Century Transfer Fluid? Or, is making sure that the ratio 50/50 adjusting the PH correctly? (assuming you use fresh distilled water or century premixed depending on what your refractometer results are)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Have not checked lately but an Aquahot rep recommended a ph of 7.0.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
I just tested mine the other day it read -15@46%. I also checked for sludge by taking the cap off and shinning a light into the fill tank. I also checked along the fill hose and saw nothing. I have Century Green fluid.

The OPs refractometer has temperature in Celsius (C). Your temperature/percent PG sounds right for Fahrenheit (F). At -40 they are equal but not -15F (-26C).

Clarification.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Have not checked lately but an Aquahot rep recommended a ph of 7.0.

Hi Don,

The PH of distilled water is 7.0. I think they really want a ph of 9. - 10 for the century transfer fluid in the systems. I would think that getting the ratio back in range should bring the PH into the correct range, as long as you use distilled water.

So no separate testing of PH should be needed?

https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/prod...id-1-gallon-2/

Jeanne
Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Hi Don,

The PH of distilled water is 7.0. I think they really want a ph of 9. - 10 for the century transfer fluid in the systems. I would think that getting the ratio back in range should bring the PH into the correct range, as long as you use distilled water.

So no separate testing of PH should be needed?

https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/prod...id-1-gallon-2/

Jeanne
The info that the Aquahot rep gave then sounds a little low for ph. If the fluid is a ph of 8-9 then 7 would be too low. Overall I don’t think that it will vary or change that much or as you said get the concentration right and the ph will look after itself.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #39

get the concentration right and the ph will look after itself

Agreed....
Old 12-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I learned something, on how to use the meter and the different types. Good post.

Also showed me what I have suspected since day one. I do not believe there is a set formula for Century Fluid. Hard to believe the ratio is that far of on a 1 year old coach. Has new fluid been added much over the year?

I have added a small amount of distilled water from using the wrong refractometer and then added a little bit of century fluid back to try to correct the ratio. Now that I have the correct reading I will need to add some distilled water. Since my expansion tank is at the full mark when the burner shuts off I will drain some fluid and add some distilled water and re check until I get the proper ratio. I am sending the second refractometer back and exchanging it for the one you posted.

Even though I have fumbled through this I am glad I posted this and hopefully someone else will be able to learn as I have. It is important to have the ratio correct because the fluid also acts as a lubricant for the aqua hot components. Thanks again for the help to everyone. [emoji106]
Old 12-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #41

E-gads! I know all are gonna have an opinion (we all have them) and probably a bit expensive, but Aqua Hot has a kit with all you need for about $250. And I would think by following their info you could have a dog in the fight with them if necessary. JMHO.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
E-gads! I know all are gonna have an opinion (we all have them) and probably a bit expensive, but Aqua Hot has a kit with all you need for about $250. And I would think by following their info you could have a dog in the fight with them if necessary. JMHO.

I understand your argument, but aqua hot is very clear in all their literature about the importance of the glycol/water ratio. Sure you can pay someone to do it and I’m sure there are many techs who are competent to perform the yearly maintenance on the aqua hot system, but I’m also sure there are many who just aren’t going to do that thorough of a job. I do know one thing after going through this learning experience with the refractometer; An aqua hot tech will not be able to get your glycol/water ratio set right by just checking it once.

For instance once I finally got the refractometer figured out thanks to the assistance from forum members I found that I was glycol heavy. Too much glycol can gum up valves inside the aqua hot. To correct this I need to add distilled water, but how much? Well that’s going to be a trial and error exercise and I will need to check it at least twice to get the ratio correct. After I add distilled water I will need to allow time for the water to mix it’s way into the entire system. How long will that take? I’m not sure, but I will probably give it a day or two. An aqua hot tech won’t have that kind of time.

I checked mine once and found that I was at about 58% glycol. I drained and then added 20 ounces of distilled water and checked it a day later and found it at 53%. This time I had the right refractometer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	186548

I drained again and then added another 20 ounces of distilled water today and will do another check of it after Christmas. I would not have been able to adjust this ratio properly without having some time to do it.