Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

Any Thoughts On a Complex GPS Failure?

When we left for Spartan last week our GPS locked up - after about 30 minutes - sometimes less sometimes a little more - it would lock up tight. The XM was working, everything else was fine but the GPS was NFG. If you touch the screen nothing happened. The only way to get it back was to turn it off, then back on, and resume. 30 minutes later - same thing.

I called the supplier and they sent me a new card, and the same thing continued - exact same symptoms. They then sent me a new card AND a new GPS head - changed it all out and the same thing. After a while it just locks up.

The first time this happened we were driving, but now parked here in Charlotte I just input my home address and have it select a route, and then wait. After about 30 minutes it will not respond to any input; locked up.

I will call the manufacturer tomorrow again, but if anyone has any direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko Foto View Post
When we left for Spartan last week our GPS locked up - after about 30 minutes - sometimes less sometimes a little more - it would lock up tight. The XM was working, everything else was fine but the GPS was NFG. If you touch the screen nothing happened. The only way to get it back was to turn it off, then back on, and resume. 30 minutes later - same thing.

I called the supplier and they sent me a new card, and the same thing continued - exact same symptoms. They then sent me a new card AND a new GPS head - changed it all out and the same thing. After a while it just locks up.

The first time this happened we were driving, but now parked here in Charlotte I just input my home address and have it select a route, and then wait. After about 30 minutes it will not respond to any input; locked up.

I will call the manufacturer tomorrow again, but if anyone has any direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank
I probably won't be much help, but mine has quit a couple times when it was hot. They took the front tv down and mounted a fan with an on/off sw. Drove for 11 hours today in low 90's and never had a problem.
Seemed like every other road in the wilderness know as North Indiana was closed at some point for construction, never had so many detours.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Navigation System Lock Up

Frank,

I am currently experiencing the same problems as you have outlined.
New Nav head, GPS antenna and multiple new Nav cards that have not solved the lock up problem. I was put in contact with the manufacturer of the system. They placed the blame on the Rand McNally Nav cards and promised that they are working with them to correct the problem.

I will be starting the return home portion of a 4K trip in 2 weeks and have been told that I should expect a solution before I start traveling back.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that a fix will be provided.

2017 Cornerstone 45B
texan9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

We had a similar problem that ended up being the GPS antenna. Its behind the dash/steering wheel area. Its supposed to be attached via a magnet on a small pc of metal that is attached to the plywood. Ours was never attached to the plywood and fell down into the black hole well behind the dash. Once we retrieved it and placed it back up on the plywood platform, it worked perfectly. We also ventilated the head unit up in the cabinet above the driver.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
We had a similar problem that ended up being the GPS antenna. Its behind the dash/steering wheel area. Its supposed to be attached via a magnet on a small pc of metal that is attached to the plywood. Ours was never attached to the plywood and fell down into the black hole well behind the dash. Once we retrieved it and placed it back up on the plywood platform, it worked perfectly. We also ventilated the head unit up in the cabinet above the driver.
X2 on finding the antenna and getting it into the main compartment. Also need to ventilate the box where the GPS head unit is installed.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same problem w 2 different units on my 14 Anthem. Scrapped the whole radio and installed a Kenwood DNX571TR. Works great. Never locks up. River park radio is junk.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I had the same problem w 2 different units on my 14 Anthem. Scrapped the whole radio and installed a Kenwood DNX571TR. Works great. Never locks up. River park radio is junk.
I beg to disagree. I’ve been using my River Park radio/GPS for nearly 5 years and it has never given me any problems at all. I am very pleased with it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
My River Park system failed while under warranty, and they replaced it. Has worked fine now for 6 months, but did require two SD card replacements.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

They're now very insistent it is the card. They wanted to send another (the 4th) and I asked if they would please put it on the bench and make sure it works.
Now that I have replaced the core unit, my satellite dish can't find the signal and my Vega touch remote isn't communicating with the Vega touch. I guess there must be something back there that controls those things or communicates with them. I don't know how anything could ever be found back there

Also for anyone needing a wiring diagram of the installation I have included one here.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	177624  
Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Exact same problem. New front TV, new RCA cords, 2 new cores, three new cards, installed the fourth today. If it doesn't work after this I am considering a class action suit. Really, it's ridiculous.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Junk
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Navigation System Lock Up

Frank,

You just need to re sync your coach router to your Vega Touch.
It is very simple to do. Integra Customer service can walk you through it.

You have identified another problem I am having.
My dish now takes forever to lock onto the satellites.
I will check to see if it is tied to the GPS-Nav. system.

2017 Cornerstone 45B
texan9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have the same problem with the GPS locking up at 30 minutes, or so. Fans and vents have been installed, as well as new TV (unrelated, I believe). I removed the SD card, uploaded new maps and then updated the program, as instructed by Entegra, and...problem still exists! If someone has the fix, please advise!
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Can you explain a little deeper, or offer pics? How did you get to the misplaced antennae and where is this plywood?
Thanks.
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps