RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Anybody know what a "manifold pole piece" is

I received a Service Bulletin from Spartan that includes 2017, 18 and 19 K2 K3 and K4 motor homes with Hadley Air leveling. It is number CSB18-330-003(-004FR) that says

"A condition may exist where the manifold pole pieces are not being retained in the solenoid c-bracket"

Can somebody translate that?

I searched the forums and Spartan site, but can't find any info

zcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did a search and found the following:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110284782

Pressurized o-ring pole piece seal for a manifold
Abstract
An assembly comprises a manifold and a valve. The manifold has a portion defining a bore having a first end and a second end. The valve is at least partially disposed within the manifold and includes a coil configured to generate a magnetic field; a bobbin configured to house the coil; a pole piece located near the bobbin; and a housing. The pole piece includes a first end configured for insertion into the bore of the manifold; a circumferentially extending groove located near the first end of the pole piece; an o-ring disposed in the circumferentially extending groove; and a radially outwardly extending flange located near the circumferentially extending groove that is configured to engage both the portion of the manifold defining the first end of the bore and the bobbin. The housing includes a tab configured to fasten the valve to the manifold.

A solenoid valve may include a pole piece. The pole piece may be inserted into a manifold in order to seal a hydraulic passage from an oil supply. The pole piece may be pressed to a particular axial position of the manifold (based on preceding measurements) in order to optimize the performance of the solenoid valve. A metal-to-metal seal may be used between the pole piece and the manifold. In some circumstances, it may be advantageous to employ a more robust seal between the pole piece and the manifold. It may also be advantageous to make additional modifications to the assembly to improve manufacturability.

Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
W0GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #3

Well, that clears it right up!

I received the same service bulletin from Spartan and got in touch with them to determine how urgent it is, since we are leaving on a trip in early August and will be at Spartan the last week of August. The reply I received stated in part:

“My suggestion would be to have the campaign taken care of before going on your trip. I suggest this because if the pole piece does not stay in place then your coach will not air up, or you can lose air, which we would prefer you not experience at any time while driving or parked. It is a proactive measure we are taking to ensure safety.”

I also learned that the fix is to replace the entire Hadley manifold. I’m currently working with NIRVC’s Phoenix facility to see if they can order the new manifold. What I really want to see are the instructions for replacing the manifold. If it’s as simple as it looks, I’ll probably do it myself.

Photos of the manifold on our 2018 Cornerstone (K3 chassis) are included below. The manifold is located inside the driver's side front wheel well, just forward of the wheel & tire. The first photo was taken with me sitting inside the wheel well, looking toward the passenger side of the coach. The green you can just barely see at the bottom of that photo is the aft end of the Onan generator side wall. The other two photos are just different views of the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hadley Air Manifold.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	210661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hadley Air Manifold-Forward Side.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	210662  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hadley Air Manifold-Aft Side.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	210663  
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

I can attest to having a big air leak problem if one of those post blows out. I blew one going into Durango Co. last summer. Still had 40 mi to go at the end of a long day. I could hear the air blasting from the manifold, but told the DW as long as this thing will continue to hold some semblance of air pressure I'm not stopping until we get there. Long story short found the center blown out of the solenoid. Spartan sent a new manifold, but it still has the old style solenoid so I guess I'm in for another change.
It will definitely get your attention and will shut you down.

Larry, the manifold isn't hard to replace and while I was at it I relocated the wire harness for calibrating the Hadley level system to the outside of the wheel well so the end is easy to get to.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I can attest to having a big air leak problem if one of those post blows out. I blew one going into Durango Co. last summer. Still had 40 mi to go at the end of a long day. I could hear the air blasting from the manifold, but told the DW as long as this thing will continue to hold some semblance of air pressure I'm not stopping until we get there. Long story short found the center blown out of the solenoid. Spartan sent a new manifold, but it still has the old style solenoid so I guess I'm in for another change.
It will definitely get your attention and will shut you down.

Larry, the manifold isn't hard to replace and while I was at it I relocated the wire harness for calibrating the Hadley level system to the outside of the wheel well so the end is easy to get to.
Thanks very much for this information. I've been trying to get additional info from Spartan regarding the specifics of the potential problem, so far without much success. Your post is very helpful!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Thanks very much for this information. I've been trying to get additional info from Spartan regarding the specifics of the potential problem, so far without much success. Your post is very helpful!
I believe the new manifolds have the pole pieces threaded in instead of being pressed in. When that happened to me Spartan said they had only seen one other problem, but from what I understand they've seen several now. Hopefull, mine will last until I get to Spartan first of Sept.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I believe the new manifolds have the pole pieces threaded in instead of being pressed in. When that happened to me Spartan said they had only seen one other problem, but from what I understand they've seen several now. Hopefully, mine will last until I get to Spartan first of Sept.
I'm aware of at least one other owner who's had this problem - a friend who lives in east Texas and has a 2018 Newmar King Aire. He had the issue back in February and had quite a time getting it resolved.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Has anyone besides the op gotten the TSB notice? I have a 2017 CS and have not. Anyone?
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Here's the letter:

RE: Notice of Campaign Service Bulletin: CSB18-330-003(-004FR)

Dear Valued Customer:

A recent decision was made to issue a Campaign Service Bulletin, CSB18-330-003{-004FR), for certain model year 2017-2019 incomplete transit bus chassis cabs, K2, K3, and K4 model motor home chassis equipped with an air leveling system supplied by Hadley and built between April 1, 2017 and December 1, 2017.

A condition may exist where the manifold pole pieces are not being retained in the solenoid c-bracket.

Labor time is 2 hours for incomplete transit bus chassis or 1 hour for motor home chassis models.

Please note:
The Vehicle Identification Number (VINff) affected by this campaign is on the first line of the address above.

Your satisfaction with our product is important to us. We are initiating this contact with you so that you will, at your earliest opportunity, take your vehicle in for the recommended service. In doing so, we can be certain that you have the best product available for optimal performance.

Carefully follow the instructions below to have your vehicle serviced:
You do not need to call Spartan Specialty Vehicles to find the facility most convenient to you. These
facilities can be located on Spartan's website: spartanchassls.com/cps/service/service_centers.asp
If you lack access to the internet call 1.800.543.4277 opt 0 for locations. When calling, please have available the last 8 digits of your VIN#.

Although this is not a safety recall. Spartan Specialty Vehicles is committed to serving you with your best
interests in mind.
Sincerely,
Spartan Motors USA, Inc
zcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Mine was corrected at Spartan this week. Not sure what I should notice as a difference, but it's done.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

I got bit by this when my coach was young. Driver's side front would only intermittently air up.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Has anyone besides the op gotten the TSB notice? I have a 2017 CS and have not. Anyone?

My frame for my 2018 CS was manufactured in April 2017. Check your date of manufacture on the sticker behind the drivers seat. You may be ok as I'm sure your 2017 was manufactured before April 2017. We're on the road so I'll give Spartan a call tomorrow.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
My build date per the Spartan sticker is 1.26.17, TB not applicable per Spartan.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #14

I guess it wasn't until 4/1/2017 that they switched to the "new & improved" manifold that now needs to be replaced!