Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
...The Rand McNally RV GPS was by far the worst router of the three...
...The RM GPSs are EXTREMELY PERSISTENT. If you know the right way to go, and the RM wants to send you a different way for some completely obscure reason, it will try for the next 50 to 100 miles to get you to go back to the original route even if it feels you need to make a U-turn.... it never gives up even when it is completely wrong!!...

Gary
Totally agree. We move around a lot and it seems that if there is more than one way to go from point A to point B the RM will get it wrong with 95% certainty. And wow is it persistent! To the point of complete absurdity and taking you many, many, many miles out of your way for no apparent reason. The map data is the same as other GPS's, it's how the data is used that makes the difference and RM is just not good at it.

Yeah it will get you there but usually not in an efficient manner, so I would not recommend anyone just blindly following this thing, do your homework first, use common sense and be prepared to ignore it.

We still run the RM on most legs as it gives good location info (county, town, mile marker, etc.) and theoretically would warn us of a low bridge or overweight situation, but for countermeasure we also use another GPS. We have a Garmin and also find Google Maps on Android to have logical routing, plus it gives us live traffic info including WAZE reports. Android output can be displayed on the TV using a Chromecast dongle. We do not find the data usage to be significant (run it in map view not satellite view to save some bandwidth).

I have also looked at replacing the Xite with the Kenwood equivalents which have a built in Garmin GPS (much better routing IMO), one model even has the Garmin trucker version (DNX571TR). It supports video out too. Problem is it's $1100 and I don't think it includes lifetime maps (there might be a workaround for that if you have another Garmin unit).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Brobox said: Hopefully there is the option to put the rest area in as Via Point and not interrupt the intended route. I am sure I'll get it figured out once we get ont he road. Thanks for the starting point for the rest areas.

Yes you can put the rest area in as a Via point. I forgot about that. The only thing about that I don't like is that once you do that, the RM no longer gives you distance or time to destination until after you have passed the waypoint. I wish they would show both distance to waypoint and distance to destination.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #31

I think it's hard to beat my 8 year old Garmin. It doesn't have all of the added gadgety gizwahs, but HELPS get me where I wanna go, multi-waypoints and all. AND chooses the route I out figgered it on, and accepts it after about a mile. Not smart, just simpler, and always with the latest maps loaded.
GPS does not get confused or go the "wrong" way. It does what it is designed (taught/told) to do.
I choose a route via map, verify that the Garmin Gal agrees, know if/when I must deviate, and allow "her" to keep me on the right trail while I my mind focuses a bit on the ever-changing wallpaper flowing past the windshield.
3.5 inches never earned its $300 price tag so many times over. I could put it to my 42 inch screen and surround sound, but having her just a bit off of my left hand on my port side porthole is plenty nuff audio/visual for me.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Love the "grumpy" comment. We solved the problem...DW practices using three different map and route sources...now if she could just get DH to stop asking which is correct before we get to the turn
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The RM GPSs are EXTREMELY PERSISTENT. If you know the right way to go, and the RM wants to send you a different way for some completely obscure reason, it will try for the next 50 to 100 miles to get you to go back to the original route even if it feels you need to make a U-turn.... it never gives up even when it is completely wrong!! The little car Garmin will sense pretty quickly that you are taking a new route, and "recalculate" the route and usually come up with exactly what I am taking.
Gary
Gary, there is a setting for automatic recalculation on your RM GPS. I believe yours is set wrong. My RM GPS recalculates the route within seconds after I deviate from the original route. Mine is set to automatic recalulation. Check your settings and set yours the same and I think your problem will be solved.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #34

Cool😎, thanks for posting, that is good information🚌🚓
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
First stop I got the manual out and the curve warning was turned off. I am with Mel when it comes to using the turn warning. It was so bad that I did not trust it anyways.

When leaving our house the first turn the Garmin will show it correctly on the screen but the voice will call the turn incorrectly.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #36

Marc

Thanks for the information. I will look for the switch!! It annoys the crap out of me.

Gary
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #37

I haven't got the gps figured out yet. How do you turn off the "speed warning" and at the dealership they had the gps show up on the TV above the driver. How can I make that happen again?
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I haven't got the gps figured out yet. How do you turn off the "speed warning" and at the dealership they had the gps show up on the TV above the driver. How can I make that happen again?
I'm Not at the mh and it's been a while since I used it, but you have to put the TV input to AV and I'm pretty sure in the GPS settings you have to select AUX. Noel
Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
For the TV, at least on my 2013 the TV source has to be set to AV input. Then on the GPS, find the "AUX ZONE" and set it to "NAV"

For the speed warning go to RV TOOLS - WARNINGS - SPEED. Not sure if you can turn it off but just set the speed over posted limit to 15 or something...

Tags
gps