Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Anyone else have generator latch problems?

To my great surprise the other day, while pulling into a campground in Kentucky, we heard a weird rumble and clang from underneath. We hadn't run over anything, but were shocked to look down and see the generator front panel about 6 feet out on its rails and the generator about half way out on its own rails!

I called the Entegra support after-hours number and Dave kindly called back to tell me that the generator latch failed and that it broke the door latch as well. Luckily there was an easy temporary fix. First buy the heaviest duty zip ties you can find. Tie down any part of the generator rail to a solid steel support underneath. See my picture. Tape (yes tape) the generator door closed.

I found 150 pound capacity zip ties and used four of them, and I sadly used gorilla tape on the front of my coach.

The rest of the trip was uneventful and Entegra will get the problem fixed.

Moral of the story: If you hear rumbling warning signs when braking, take care, as it could be the generator about to go for a trip. We heard these sounds a few minutes earlier, but could not stop until the unhappy event occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0222_1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	92456   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0227_1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	92457  

RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Good heads up Robert, thank you. Someone told me the other day that their generator door latch also broke.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

The mounting plate for the engagement pin for my latch (the part that's on the generator door) got bunged up by my salesman during the demonstration. He hit the air deploy switch prior to disengaging the latch. They need to idiot-proof that system. It was fixed before leaving the dealership, but the door is not as snug as it should be and as a result will rattle if the coach is at a certain angle. Pretty sure I can fix this myself, but I will probably let the pros tackle in at Entegra this November.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
The mounting plate for the engagement pin for my latch (the part that's on the generator door) got bunged up by my salesman during the demonstration. He hit the air deploy switch prior to disengaging the latch. They need to idiot-proof that system. It was fixed before leaving the dealership, but the door is not as snug as it should be and as a result will rattle if the coach is at a certain angle. Pretty sure I can fix this myself, but I will probably let the pros tackle in at Entegra this November.
Bob, glad you're leaving it to the pros. The generator weighs a ton (figuratively), and when it goes on it's own trip, like mine, there could be a safety issue. We're glad Entegra responded so professionally and that the temporary fix was simple.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

Mine doesn't latch when I close it I lubed it too after awhile it does but im parked now so not a prob. on shore
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

I am not impressed with the gen slide and latch setup. One issue on the Cornerstone is once the outer door latch has been bent it never will work right again so I have been adding reinforcements to them. What I suggested to them at the factory was A use a much stronger bracket for the outer door latch so it won't just bend and put a interlock on the gen slide so it cannot engage with the outer door closed. As for the Anthem and Aspire all I can say what a lame setup to put on such a nice coach.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
As for the Anthem and Aspire all I can say what a lame setup to put on such a nice coach.
Any idea how to strengthen that latch? I have not looked at mine, but I will after this post.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

What I have done is add a 1/4 thick plate to the side which removes the flex from it I also add a couple extra bolts to the mount so it is tighter. Next I add a foam strip inside the front cap so the outer door pushes against the foam when closed this removes all the rattles.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I'll see what Entegra does. It will be fixed during our PDI starting June 15th.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
What I have done is add a 1/4 thick plate to the side which removes the flex from it I also add a couple extra bolts to the mount so it is tighter. Next I add a foam strip inside the front cap so the outer door pushes against the foam when closed this removes all the rattles.
Thanks. These are great suggestions for the gen door latch. My problems are also with the generator latch itself.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
You have the right idea. That is what I would do. I might use rubber door molding instead of foam - will retain its form / resistance a little longer.
A second latch on the other side would balance the retaining force better but would be much more complicated to rig up.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
As for the Anthem and Aspire all I can say what a lame setup to put on such a nice coach.
I am just happy it's on a slide. My previous coach did not have a slide and the generator was a bear to service / repair.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't had any problems with 14,000 mi/ 1 yr. Might just be luck. I will keep any eye on it.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Entegra added some split PEX pipe to the generator slide to get rid of the rattle, then I added more to get rid of the play in the slide.

I am going to add your fixes as well. Seems simple to avoid a problem later on. Thanks, good tips.

At least the Entegra latch is better than the Travel Supreme, we had to get on our hands and knees to release a "T" handle underneath. Outside of that, no changes have been made to the slide and cowl assembly, it's been the same since 2002.
Attached Images

Tags
generator