Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Apple TV

I'm thinking about putting an Apple TV in my Anthem. Just curious how others have wired them into the coach.

Is it possible to use the BOMB to connect it? I'm not using satellite, so thought maybe I could use that connection point.

Interested to see how others have done this....

Thanks...
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
I'm thinking about putting an Apple TV in my Anthem. Just curious how others have wired them into the coach.

Is it possible to use the BOMB to connect it? I'm not using satellite, so thought maybe I could use that connection point.

Interested to see how others have done this....

Thanks...
I think my BOMB is just coax cable, I hardly ever use it except for OTA TV, I don't think you want to go that route. I have an HDMI splitter in the basement, but I wouldn't want to go that route either. I think the Apple TV unit (like the fire stick etc) is small enough to move from TV to TV. Unless your aim is to be able to project to multiple TVs simultaneously - in that case, locate your Apple TV unit by the HDMI splitter. Using the remote might be problematic.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you have no satellite receiver, you can plug the AppleTV into the Living Room HDMI jack that the satellite receiver normally uses. Then its output will go to all the TVs in your coach via HDMI.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
I only want to use ours on the main TV, so just have it in the electronics cabinet under the TV with an HDMI cable to directly to input 4 on the TV, then just switch inputs using the TV remote when we want to use it.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We connected ours through the BOMB using the HDMI connection. Of course we have an HDMI switch as opposed to a coax BOMB... if not, it can be connected directly to a TV via HDMI.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

thanks everyone.....I'll have to look at the BOMB this afternoon to see coax or HDMI. It's a 2012 coach, so I'm suspecting coax. I'm trying to get the sound thru the surround system, so that might even take a different sort of connection.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
We have our TV set to only use the external speakers (Bose sound bar in our case) so the sound from the Apple TV passes to the sound bar that way.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
We have our TV set to only use the external speakers (Bose sound bar in our case) so the sound from the Apple TV passes to the sound bar that way.
that's a good idea! Didn't think of that one.

Thanks....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Apple TV using iphone Airplay

Has anyone used their Apple TV with the iphone app Airplay. This allows your iphone screen to be duplicated on your big TV. (wirelessly)

Do you connect to the internet via the wifi connection or do you use the LTE phone connection to the network. Is it possible to connect directly from your iphone to to AppleTV without using wifi.

If you have AT&T and Directv this could be important. They recently announced that all video data from Directv would not go against your data plan. I can watch most Directv channels on my phone for free.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
As I understand the Verizon and AT&T plans, connecting Apple TV, Roku etc to your hotspot is seen as a subsequent device and is excluded from unlimited data plans. However, if you have Apple TV you can use the mirror function to display the show you are watching on your phone on your TV.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #11

I have an Apple TV4 on my main tv location using the hdmi jack for sat. I move the cable depending on what I'm watching.

I have an Apple TV 3 on my front tv using an hdmi port on the TV itself.

I can have different shows on either tv. On the front tv, I have pictures scrolling.

"Finally"

2014 Aspire
2016 MX5 toad (trailered)

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Apple TV using iphone Airplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
As I understand the Verizon and AT&T plans, connecting Apple TV, Roku etc to your hotspot is seen as a subsequent device and is excluded from unlimited data plans. However, if you have Apple TV you can use the mirror function to display the show you are watching on your phone on your TV.

I don't want to use the AppleTV to use the iphone as a hotspot to communicate to the internet. I only want to use Airplay to mirror the iphone screen to the AppleTV. The iphone would be communicating to the internet over it's LTE connection. Has anyone done this?

I read somewhere that school teachers use the iphone Airplay connection to stream internet content to a TV in the classroom. Their local school policies do not allow them to connect the AppleTV to the school WIFI network. I'm hoping to actually communicate to someone who has done this. Most of these types of stories are 3rd or 4th hand info.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 02-25-2017, 04:37 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I have done it at home, and there it no reason why it would not work in the RV.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
For Verizon Android there is a $15. app, "Foxfi" FoxFi - Turn Android into free WiFi Hotspot (no root) that allows the use of your paid for data as a router for up to 5 devises. I have been using it for years and it works as described. No charge as a hotspot or subsequent devise. Limited on the make of phone and carrier that it will work on. The link shows the list.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote