Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Aqua-Hot 400LP

This is our first RV with the Aqua-Hot and have a couple questions, specifically with the 400LP system.

1. Do the zones (1, 2 and 3) have to be set at different temperatures? The MHSRV rep that walked us thru the coach mentioned that they needed to be offset by 3 degrees. Is this true, and if so does anyone know why?
2. When hooked up to 50amp service, is the electric only burner enough to heat the coach in weather around 32-40 degrees?
3. When using the propane burner, what kind of consumption are you guys seeing when it is 32-40 degrees setting the coach to 66-69 degrees? Trying to determine how often I will be refilling the propane tank.
4. Are there any tips/tricks to the Aqua-Hot system, specifically the 400LP propane system?

Thank you in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Congrats on your new coach. I have a 2013 model that has the LP-375, and we lived in the coach for 5 months during the winter months in the Dallas area. There will be several owners that have the LP 400 reply here, but I can give you my experience to your questions.

Set Zone 1,2,3 where you want them. My Zone 2 is the floor heat, and it can be set a little higher, and in these temps, it will most likely keep your coach warm (I ran the electric and the burner all the time) while living in the coach. If you are parked in the sun during the day, the heat may not run much. We filled the propane tank (50 gal, really about 40 gallons since they don't fill them to 100%) about once every 5 weeks.

My 375 has been trouble free except for a Buck Booster failure about 3 years ago. No real service has been required. If it has been stored a while, it may take the burner 4-5 cycles to finally light, and stay on. I have never just run the electric element alone, with showers you will probably need the Burner if the water source feeding the coach is cold. Other will respond to how they user their Electric vs Burner. Getting propane has not been an issue since most parks we stay at or travel through sell propane.

Enjoy your new coach, and post some pictures.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

The electric most likely won't do much of anything at all.

You can set the zones anywhere you want.
We often set zone 2 for gas, but zone's 1 & 3 for electric if the temp is near or over 40, let the heat pumps do the work.

Turn that gas burner off except when you need it!
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
The electric most likely won't do much of anything at all.

You can set the zones anywhere you want.
We often set zone 2 for gas, but zone's 1 & 3 for electric if the temp is near or over 40, let the heat pumps do the work.

Turn that gas burner off except when you need it!
X2. Ours is a 400LP for 2015.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Another option for winter usage is to add an Extenda Stay hose so you can use a external tank. I have one but have never used it. My experience with temps 15 to 25 was that I burned just over half a tank in 2 weeks. I also use the fireplace and a small portable heater. March thru October we use about 1 tank and we are on the road 4 to 5 months

Personally, I like the LP better. Fewer problems and no annual maintenance
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan77 View Post
This is our first RV with the Aqua-Hot and have a couple questions, specifically with the 400LP system.

1. Do the zones (1, 2 and 3) have to be set at different temperatures? The MHSRV rep that walked us thru the coach mentioned that they needed to be offset by 3 degrees. Is this true, and if so does anyone know why?
2. When hooked up to 50amp service, is the electric only burner enough to heat the coach in weather around 32-40 degrees?
3. When using the propane burner, what kind of consumption are you guys seeing when it is 32-40 degrees setting the coach to 66-69 degrees? Trying to determine how often I will be refilling the propane tank.
4. Are there any tips/tricks to the Aqua-Hot system, specifically the 400LP propane system?

Thank you in advance!
1. Set zone 1 temperature where it is comfortable. Zone 2 (your floor heat) is on the same loop as zone 1 so setting it a few degrees higher than your zone 1 temperature will allow it to continue to circulate fluid and bring the temperature of the floor up.

2. No, at that cold of a temperature the electric heating element in the Aquahot will not keep up so turn on the propane burner as well.

3. Cant help with the burn rate of propane.

4. Even when not needed exercise the Aquahot heat on all three zones for about 1/2 hour once a month to keep everything running smoothly.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:

Thank you in advance!
1st time lp400 owner here.... we've been in our Aspire for the last two months here in California. Here are our observations of this system. As others have said, the floor loop (zone 2) heats the floor tiles from the front door to the step up in the back. The sensor for zone 2 in our 2015 is mid coach, about 2 inches off of the floor.We set this zone at a higher temp then the other two so it will remain "on" longer and provide the bulk of the heat. Next, this coach has a few heat exchangers with blower fans in them located from mid coach forward. These are "on/off" controlled as Zone 1. ...now the confusing part...Zone 1 also automatically causes the floor loop (zone2) to run to supply hot water to the heat exchangers. So, as you might imagine,it takes a lot of heat for a long time period for the lp400 to bring the floor loop up to where you will be comfortable. Ours takes at least 16 hours to really settle out. Yes, it's a propane hog...less than two months on a tank here in California..so if zone1 is asking for heat,you want the floor loop to already be warm and ready to use. We set zone two 10 deg higher then zone 1
I'm not yet certain on how zone 3 operates but it seems as though it controls both the floor heat and the heat exchangers in the rear of the coach (our bathroom) .
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
1st time lp400 owner here.... we've been in our Aspire for the last two months here in California. Here are our observations of this system. As others have said, the floor loop (zone 2) heats the floor tiles from the front door to the step up in the back. The sensor for zone 2 in our 2015 is mid coach, about 2 inches off of the floor.We set this zone at a higher temp then the other two so it will remain "on" longer and provide the bulk of the heat. Next, this coach has a few heat exchangers with blower fans in them located from mid coach forward. These are "on/off" controlled as Zone 1. ...now the confusing part...Zone 1 also automatically causes the floor loop (zone2) to run to supply hot water to the heat exchangers. So, as you might imagine,it takes a lot of heat for a long time period for the lp400 to bring the floor loop up to where you will be comfortable. Ours takes at least 16 hours to really settle out. Yes, it's a propane hog...less than two months on a tank here in California..so if zone1 is asking for heat,you want the floor loop to already be warm and ready to use. We set zone two 10 deg higher then zone 1
I'm not yet certain on how zone 3 operates but it seems as though it controls both the floor heat and the heat exchangers in the rear of the coach (our bathroom) .

Zone 3 controls the heat exchangers (forced air registers) in the back of your coach.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for all of the input. Definitely a trial and error to find the right mix while not going thru a full tank of propane every week.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Zone 3 controls the heat exchangers (forced air registers) in the back of your coach.
True! ...but with both zone 1 and zone 2 turned "off" on the thermostat,zone 3 heats the bathroom floor as well as starts the blower s...I'm not sure how this is happening or which aquahot pump is providing flow but it seems to function fine so far...maybe someone can fill me in ...or correct my thinking!
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all of the input. Definitely a trial and error to find the right mix while not going thru a full tank of propane every week.
When we had propane heat in the Travel Supreme, we used an electric space heater most of thee time. It really helped saving on the propane. As well insulated as the Entegra's are, a space heater should really help stretch the propane.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
True! ...but with both zone 1 and zone 2 turned "off" on the thermostat,zone 3 heats the bathroom floor as well as starts the blower s...I'm not sure how this is happening or which aquahot pump is providing flow but it seems to function fine so far...maybe someone can fill me in ...or correct my thinking!

If you have a model that the engine hatch is in the bathroom The heat registers in zone 3 would be the only thing that could heat the bathroom floor. There is no floor loop if there is a hatch. There are lines running to the registers and they will give off some residual heat. Entegra did everything they could in engineering to heat as much of the coach as possible with 3 zones.

A signature line with year and model is a big help answer question about a persons coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #13

We also have a 400LP. We've been living in the coach since Nov. with nighttime temps mostly ranging between 30 to 40 degrees. Also mostly hooked up to 50 amps.
I rarely use zone 2. It is a LP hog. If used, you have to set it about 8 degrees higher than zone 1, or else it will shut off at the zone 1 setting and you won't feel the floor heat.
Typically we use the electric space heater most often. At night we close the bedroom door and place the space heater in the rear bedroom doorway, which keeps us nice and toasty all night and saves propane.
In the AM, I might fire up zone 1 to take out the chill, then use the space heater. Once the outside temps hit about 43, I use the heat pumps.
Employing these propane saving measures I have only had to fill my tank once since Nov. I also keep the electric element always on for hot water in the sink and only turn the propane burner when showering or taking the chill out in the AM.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Thank you in advance!
I have this saved for reference from a previous post. I apologize, but I forgot who originally posted this info, but it explains how the different zones and pumps operate with the LP Aquahot:

Unlike the Aquahot 450D on the Anthem/Cornerstone there is no separate and dedicated stir pump on the 375LP, 400LP and 400D (2017 and up Aspire). The 375/400's use the #2 circulator pump (not to be confused with thermostat zone 2) as a stir pump. The #2 circulator pump pushes water thru the pipes and heat exchangers for the bed/bath heating loop (Thermostat Zone 3). The idea is to "stir" up the antifreeze in the tank so it has an even temperature and can more effectively heat the domestic hot water flowing thru it.

According to Aquahot the stir pump function on the 375/400 models turns on only when a faucet is opened - unfortunately this is not ideal.

The typical complaint for the 375/400 is usually that the hot water goes cold after a few minutes in the shower. Several more minutes and it will come back up to full temp.

There is a simple test to tell if that happens because you have inadequately "stirred" tank water. About 10 or 15 minutes before you take a shower, make sure the Burner switch is ON and set the Thermostat for Zone 3 to call for heat - that forces the stirring action and gets the tank evenly heated before you start your shower. After that you should get a nice steady hot shower.

The downside of this is needing to run the heat during warm weather. On my previous coach (375LP) I installed a "Relay Kit" that turned on the #2 circulator pump/stir pump whenever the burner switch was on - this worked well. However, I did not like using it during the warm months because it would heat the bed/bath a little, but at least it didn't run the heat exchanger fans. Not sure if they are still offering the relay kit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zone 2 and Zone 1 use the exact same plumbing loop. Zone 2 is really just sort of a "virtual" zone. The only difference between Zone 1 and 2 is that Zone 1 turns on the fans in the 3 heat exchangers. Actually, I think this is very clever.

Point is when you run Zone 1 you are also heating your floors to a certain extent because the hot water is flowing thru all the same pipe as "virtual" Zone 2.

When Zone 1 is on, the fans in the 3 heat exchangers are on and of course extract more of that heat into the air inside the coach and let less of it go to heating the floor. When Zone 2 is on the hot water runs thru the same pipe and all three heat exchangers but the fans in the three heat exchangers remain off and more of the heat goes into the floor.

I know this because we had a kink in the PEX pipe inside our floor which was not accessible to repair without surgery. During the troubleshooting process and working with Joyce and team I got very familiar with the pipe and zone layout. Entegra of course stepped up and made it right after a trip back to Middlebury - fortunately no tiles needed to be ripped out.

Also FYI, remember the Aquahot (all models as far as I know) have only two circulator pumps. So where do the four zones come from? One of those pumps is for Zone 1 & 2 (salon) and the other is for the Zone 3 (bedroom) and basement.

Same "virtual zone" deal with the Zone 3/basement - when heat is called for on Zone 3 (bedroom) hot water flows thru the bedroom and basement heat exchangers but only the fans on the two bed/bath heat exchangers turn on. If the basement thermostat is on and calls for heat, hot water still flows thru the same bedroom and basement heat exchangers but only the fan on the basement heat exchanger turns on.

You would know right away if you have a kink - for example if you set Zone 1 to come on, you should feel heat at all three heat exchangers (mid coach, under kitchen sink, under dash) after several minutes (gas/diesel burner should be on). If you do have a kink, Zone 2 won't work either.