Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Aqua hot 450

I don’t have RV yet, but am zeroing in on Anthem 42DEQ and have a question regarding Aquahot 450. I live in PNW and would use the RV in winter periodically. So, I don’t want to winterize it. It seldom gets below zero here, but it can occasionally get below zero (celcius) for short periods. I have a parking/storage option that has 15amp power outlet. It is my understanding that this would be enough to just keep the batteries from draining. If I wanted to keep the coach heated with the Aquahot if temps were to go below freezing, would the system run on 15amp power if set in diesel mode? Or, would I want to set the generator to auto start in this situation? Any suggestions?
Baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the 600D and did exactly as you desire the last two winters with no problems. Took about 10 gallons of diesel is all. I did run one of my two electric elements, can't run both on less than 30 amps (plugged into 15 amp service) so I had one on plus the burner. Had remote thermometers outside, one on the galley counter and a third in the wet bay that I can read in the house.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes 15 amp with the diesel burner and aquahot should be good.
The only issue may be if batteries are down and the charge rate is high.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

I live in Nodthern Louisiana. Our worst night of a winter might be 18 degrees. My coach is plugged into 50 amp service. I run 3 900/1800 watt electric heaters on the 900 watt setting from sundown until a couple hours after sunup. They are on timers. One in the front, one in the bedroom, and one in basement.

On 30 amp service, you can probably do the same with electric heaters. An alternative if the coach is outside is to run the diesel AquaHot with the AC AquaHot element also on. The diesel will do the job easily and you should be able to handle the battery discharge/recharging all night with the 30 amp service.

Short term the electric heaters are cost effective. I’ve needed to heat as long as a week when a major cold front pushes through

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
On 30 amp service, you can probably do the same with electric heaters. An alternative if the coach is outside is to run the diesel AquaHot with the AC AquaHot element also on. The diesel will do the job easily and you should be able to handle the battery discharge/recharging all night with the 30 amp service.
I believe he said he has FIFTEEN amp service, not 30.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldpaul View Post
I don’t have RV yet, but am zeroing in on Anthem 42DEQ and have a question regarding Aquahot 450. I live in PNW and would use the RV in winter periodically. So, I don’t want to winterize it. It seldom gets below zero here, but it can occasionally get below zero (celcius) for short periods. I have a parking/storage option that has 15amp power outlet. It is my understanding that this would be enough to just keep the batteries from draining. If I wanted to keep the coach heated with the Aquahot if temps were to go below freezing, would the system run on 15amp power if set in diesel mode? Or, would I want to set the generator to auto start in this situation? Any suggestions?
I live in WA state and I have mine plugged into a 30 amp. I never winterize, AGS is on just in case the storage facility looses power. Since the storage is 10 miles away from home I use RV command to alert me of temps below 45 and loss of power. I leave my AH (Electric) on in the basement and floor heat only. Coach stays at 66 degrees even on the coldest nights and it's drawing 18 amps pretty consistently.
I would really try to get at least 30 amps if possible.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You indicate you have 15 amp service. In that case forget about all of the electric heater recommendations. That will only work if you have more amperage. The diesel burner consumes 12 volt battery power but only to operate the controls, the circulation pumps, the burner motor and the fans in the heat exchangers. That's going to be about 4 amps at 120 volts. Your main heat source comes from the diesel fuel being burned. The Aqua-Hot's electric heating element will consume better than 10 amps so leave that off. This will leave you enough amperage to maintain the charge in your batteries and run the residential refrigerator and turn on a few lights for a while while you enter the coach. The only exception would be if your batteries were run down and the chargers are running at full bore to bring them back up. That may draw excessive amps unless you dial down the charge rate in the inverter control panels. But barring that situation you should be fine.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #8

I’m going to have to read more slowly.... thanks Marc.... I would have sworn he said 30 amp 120 VAC power available. Yes, with only 15 amp service, your options are much more limited (e.g. diesel AquaHot primarily)

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

I'm in a similar situation. Live in the mountains at 4000 ft in Northern California. It's usually in the 30's at night December through March. Occasionally it drops into the 20's, and maybe to or three days a year it goes to twenty or so (these temps are all Fahrenheit).

I have 15 amp service in storage. I park the coach with the house batteries fully charged and dial the incoming power back to 10 amps on the Vegatouch (in order to keep from peaking above 15 and popping the breaker) and let it run. I leave, of all things, the fireplace running. It has a thermostat (which I turn all the way down) and blower in it, and heats the coach and moves air around inside of it. It only runs heat when it gets cold inside. Using this combination it generally gets into the mid 30's in the coach but never below, and the batteries stay charged.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
You indicate you have 15 amp service. In that case forget about all of the electric heater recommendations. That will only work if you have more amperage. The diesel burner consumes 12 volt battery power but only to operate the controls, the circulation pumps, the burner motor and the fans in the heat exchangers. That's going to be about 4 amps at 120 volts. Your main heat source comes from the diesel fuel being burned. The Aqua-Hot's electric heating element will consume better than 10 amps so leave that off. This will leave you enough amperage to maintain the charge in your batteries and run the residential refrigerator and turn on a few lights for a while while you enter the coach. The only exception would be if your batteries were run down and the chargers are running at full bore to bring them back up. That may draw excessive amps unless you dial down the charge rate in the inverter control panels. But barring that situation you should be fine.
Thanks Cruzer, this is what I wanted to know. So bottom line is I can keep the coach and basement heated on 15 amp power using the diesel furnace (no electric element). The 15 amp power will keep the batteries charged, which will keep the 12v power running to the aqua hot 12v diesel system. Someone mentioned I should be able to keep the fridge running as well, which would be nice as I plan to use RV in winter months in PNW and don’t want the pain in packing all food away every time we park rig.
Baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #11

I believe the basement thermostat’s lowest setting is about 45 degrees, so depending upon environmental factors the AquaHot could run for sometime. But once that basement and floor is heated up to the temperature you desire it is quite efficient. I’ve used ours during some hard cold winters in Nevada and the AquaHot has performed like a champ.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote