Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Aqua Hot 450D fluid question

I have seen on some forums that the green fluid and pink fluid are NOT compatible. My 16 45A Cornerstone was pre owned for 9 months and came from an Idaho dealer originally ( 15 chassis on 14 Michelins, has old style headlights, a true hybrid!).
When I went to check the AH and set the basement heat, etc., I looked in the bay where the extra fluids were that came with an$ found a gallon bottle of Camco pink with about 1 pint left. 2hen I went to check the level in the expansion tank, fluid was dark green ( not the light yellow green i see on internet bottles pictured. Guessing the fluid is mixed??
Any worries over this that anyone has experienced?
AH is working fine, electric keeping basement toasty and being stored in a metal enclosed building, has been fine down to 23 degrees so far.
TIA for any knowledge shared!

DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

Sounds to me like you own the Prototype 16A Cornerstone that went to Bish's RV.

My understanding is mixing the two fluids is not acceptable. I would suggest calling directly to AquaHot and talk to them.

Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Sounds to me like you own the Prototype 16A Cornerstone that went to Bish's RV.

My understanding is mixing the two fluids is not acceptable. I would suggest calling directly to AquaHot and talk to them.

Bought it from a gent in North Carolina. Really confounds repair guys when the parts tied to the VIN donít match what they remove! Third part suppliers donít have VIN specific build sheets it seems!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

I think you will be fine. Mixing is not a problem. The problem is the mix changes the color and you must be sure to warn any tech that the color is because they are mixed, otherwise he will think it is contamination from some source. All JMHO
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

I agree. Mixing should be fine. If you are OCD, you can drain & flush. Or, you can get a $20 refractometer from eBay and check the propylene glycol concentration.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Aqua Hot has changed their ruling a few time regarding mixing fluids. At one time it was OK to mix Camco and Century fluids. The next publication was DO NOT mix fluids or the manufactures of the fluid will not guaranty it. From experience, Century Fluid will not guarantee it when the fluid fails (turns to sludge) anyway. Now Aqua Hot says that fluid changing color or turning dark is normal. They don't say if that is from mixing fluids or the Century fluid just turning dark. Both coolants have the same chemical make up, just different colors. Being that fluid was added I would check it with a refractormeter and change if it test bad or if you don't like the color.

Here is a good post on using and purchasing the correct refractometer Refractometer Explained
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roger Berke also recommends checking the pH of the fluid. A pH that is out of range is reason to drain, flush and refill with new boiler coolant.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

I must have talked to Century during their don't mix with Camco phase as I was told not to mix. I was also told that they are chemically similar or idential, but that the company did not recommend mixing it with any other fluid. A big no no that some dont understand that you cant mix it with antifreeze regardless of brand, and some coaches at Quartzsite, had done that and it required changing the entire system.

I use only Century because that is what the system came with. And, unlike Chuck, my transfer fluid is just as nicely green/yellow as it was when I first got the coach from the factory.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #9

Spoke with AH Tech support

Tech support said that mixing fluid brands/colors is fine performance wise, just creates a problem for service techs who would easily think there was corrosion is system due to color. When I asked what recommended service intervals are , “ they do not have a service interval recommendation” he said.
Just got my refractometer from Amazon this weekend so will check it when things warm up a bit. 14 degrees here in central Texas this morning with wind chill of 6. Hopefully my AH is working fine in the storage building!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Like Gary, we have the same year and model as he does, but my fluid, once green, has now discolored. I have no clue why it changed color. We always used the green Century Transfer Fluid, but it's now dark. Last year I took the Aqua-Hot certification class at their mother ship in Colorado, and they tell us that the color change is fine, the different fluids are the same chemically, but don't mix the fluids. It could mask corrosion in the boiler, and end up costing you a new system...upwards of $10,000. Btw, the new Bueller pumps are holding up better than the 105s and 108 pumps. Mine are all changed now, but my fluid is darker. Maybe it's because we're full timers, and our fluid is heated nearly every day for laundry, showers, and heating. A great mystery!
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
That is what is so crazy about AH statements on fluid. Turning dark is OK and creates no problem. However if you mix the two brands of fluid turning the fluid dark yourself a tech can't tell if it is being caused by another problem. So does that mean if Century Fluid turns black it's OK and tech can tell if it another problem? They have got to be kidding.

It seems that 50% of the Century Fluid users the fluid turns dark and 50% of the Century users have no problem. So how is a tech to know if there is a boiler problem on dark fluid or not?
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that was the protype that eventually was sold to Bish's. The 2016 front and rear caps were not yet available so the new 45A floorplan was built on that chassis with the old style bodywork. I was there for the go/no-go meeting and am familiar with the coach and even have quite a few photos of it. There were a few changes that we made to the protype that showed up in the production run, of which ours was the very first production 45A built.

Your coach originally did have the Century transfer fluid. It also had the Gorman-Rupp circulating pumps so hopefully those have been changed out to the Buehler pumps seeing as how the GR pumps had a very high rate of failure. My concern with your boiler antifreeze is that it's bright green. I question whether someone put regular ethylene glycol HD antifreeze in instead of boiler antifreeze. If it was me I would flush it out and replace with the correct stuff so that you know what is in there. You can use the pink Camco or the greenish Century but the Camco is less expensive and easier to find so I would go with that.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Yes, that was the protype that eventually was sold to Bish's. The 2016 front and rear caps were not yet available so the new 45A floorplan was built on that chassis with the old style bodywork. I was there for the go/no-go meeting and am familiar with the coach and even have quite a few photos of it. There were a few changes that we made to the protype that showed up in the production run, of which ours was the very first production 45A built.

Your coach originally did have the Century transfer fluid. It also had the Gorman-Rupp circulating pumps so hopefully those have been changed out to the Buehler pumps seeing as how the GR pumps had a very high rate of failure. My concern with your boiler antifreeze is that it's bright green. I question whether someone put regular ethylene glycol HD antifreeze in instead of boiler antifreeze. If it was me I would flush it out and replace with the correct stuff so that you know what is in there. You can use the pink Camco or the greenish Century but the Camco is less expensive and easier to find so I would go with that.

Thanks for the info. Not sure about the pumps, they are working fine right now. Will ask when I go to Indiana soon for PDI.
Do you recall what if anything was on DS between fireplace and kitchen sink / pull out counter? When I got it there was just a blank carpeted space, no desk and TV is permanent on angled fireplace. Everything else seems to be same as later models I have seen. Runs great!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Thanks for the info. Not sure about the pumps, they are working fine right now. Will ask when I go to Indiana soon for PDI.
Do you recall what if anything was on DS between fireplace and kitchen sink / pull out counter? When I got it there was just a blank carpeted space, no desk and TV is permanent on angled fireplace. Everything else seems to be same as later models I have seen. Runs great!
No attempt to answer for Mark but we own the 1st production 16 Anthem A. Which wasn't exactly what we planned on.
I assume then you have a small window in that wall space and a Lambright recliner was " stored " there. The only way you could use the recliner was to remove it from the storage spit and put it out in the floor near couch/table.
Our 16 Anthem A HAD that same setup until we modified the floor plan, removing the angled cabinet/ fireplace, installing the tv on a wall mounted arm and putting a 68" Lambright recliner in the space with overhead cabinets for the electronics. We also removed the passenger side couch and put in 2 Lambright recliners with a center table.

Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid