Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Aqua Hot changed all 4 motors today, still no heat.

The AH factory tech was out to change the four motors/pumps that were on the recall. I am sorry to report, it did not fix the no heat on zone 1 and 2 issue. It looks like I might have the same problem Gizmo is experiencing......a blockage somewhere.

Corey and I, while in Tampa, traced the normal kinked hose locations...none were found. Jacob from Entegra came by later and we also traced the lines, even removed the kitchen cabinet floor under the sink, everything going to the heat exchange was kink free. We also checked the lines going to the boost pump.....barely warm. The AH tech left saying it was on Entegra's side and they would have to be called for further authorization.

Someone asked that I take a photo of the impeller setup on the motors. It is a simple setup with ridged impeller blades that snap onto the motor shaft.. The pumps are only designed to put out 7 PSI, just enough to flow hot boiler fluid.

Wish I had better news that the new motors were the cure all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-07 12.06.33.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	87972  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sucks . Sounds like there must be some goo causing some obstruction.... maybe some construction debris??

When I got the Allure it was 6 years old so I decided to drain, flush and refill my AH (even though Roger Berke said as long as the pH of the coolant was OK I did not need to do that). My pH checked within spec but I just wanted to replace 6 year old coolant. When I drained the system, I did get some fairly heavy black stuff in what I drained. I flushed the system 5 or 6 times before the water ran clear. Ended up with two distilled water flushes then added the coolant.

Subjectively, I felt the exchangers put out more heat after the flush. Maybe just wishful thinking but at least the system was cleaned up.

Obviously, with your new rig the AH plumbing should be clean.

Really will be curious what they find. Gotta love a motorhome .
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

Personally I would bypass the booster pump and back flush the system. You could back flush the zone and only lose a gallon or less of anti freeze.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Just a curiosity, have you closed you slides and turned on the AH heat that way. Also, there is one more pump in the line that goes to the Zone 1 and 2. This is behind the last storage compartment side wall (unscrew the flat panel most forward in that compartment and look up. You'll see the pump and you can turn on and see if it is running. That pump is a boost for the Zone 1 and 2. If you already know or have checked these two things, apologize for hitting an a repeat. Talking with an AH-certified tech yesterday, and even he wasn't aware that pump was there.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Personally I would bypass the booster pump and back flush the system. You could back flush the zone and only lose a gallon or less of anti freeze.

I think you are right on. The fluid coming from #2 pump is only luke warm when holding the hose and the same way at the boost pump. Before the pumps were changed, the fluid coming out of pump 1 and 2 were both hot, but only warm at the boost pump. Does that sound like a blockage between the boost pump and pump #2 ? REALLY appreciate your input 1mainiac.

I was thinking flushing from the boost pump back to pump # 2 ??
Old 03-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Again, know that there is another pump in that circuit, that I mentioned in previous post. I don't know whether it will flow back through that pump However, the pex leaving that pump, right next to the outer skin high is a place that you could back flush to by disconnecting it.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #7

Could it be possible that the pumps are turning the impeller the wrong direction? I would think that would inhibit hot fluid from circulating.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I think you are right on. The fluid coming from #2 pump is only luke warm when holding the hose and the same way at the boost pump. Before the pumps were changed, the fluid coming out of pump 1 and 2 were both hot, but only warm at the boost pump. Does that sound like a blockage between the boost pump and pump #2 ? REALLY appreciate your input 1mainiac.

I was thinking flushing from the boost pump back to pump # 2 ??
Yes dave pulled my panel Friday and showed me. the other pump so is there by golly. Taught me and a tech a new fact.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Again, know that there is another pump in that circuit, that I mentioned in previous post. I don't know whether it will flow back through that pump However, the pex leaving that pump, right next to the outer skin high is a place that you could back flush to by disconnecting it.
Your right there are two pumps feeding te boost pump from what little knowledge I have with the AH. My hunch was right and why I decided I would let AH install the pumps in case I ran into this problem and did not have the knowledge to go forward. I will call CS Monday and see what procedure they want to take. The AH tech said he did have a fluid pump, but no authorization to go any further than the motor change. He was also late for his next service call......snowbird season in FL

The two lines coming off the motors are close enough they would both fit in a small bucket to be able to back flush. I am just guessing that the blockage is before the boost pump. It could be in another spot and just restricting the flow where I think it is.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Could it be possible that the pumps are turning the impeller the wrong direction? I would think that would inhibit hot fluid from circulating.
They use two different types of wire connectors on the motors so they cannot be wired backwards making them turn the wrong way. After looking at the ridged impeller setup, it wouldn't move any fluid if it was turning backwards.

It acts like pump #2 is not working correctly, but at this point, I am just guessing. I am going to let the techs figure this one out, but look forward to any ideas.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The AH tech left saying it was on Entegra's side and they would have to be called for further authorization.

I'm wondering about Aqua Hot.....they install new replacement pumps and you get no heat at all? There's no flow?

Seems that if there is pump that's not working, that would act as a blockage in the system....I doubt if there is a bypass at each pump....and doubt there would very much flow through a non-working pump.

So what....the tech just threw up his hands and gave up....said its Entegra's problem?

What a crock.....

Seems to me that Entegra needs to be holding AH's feet to the fire.....they aren't the only RV boiler manufacturer. AH needs to solve the pump problem like yesterday.

I wonder what pump Oasis uses?

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
That's why I ask if you got heat with the slides closed (as I did) thus showing that it was the slides moving to an out position that was crimping the hoses. I would be surprised if there is a blockage between the AH and the pump I'm referring to. Having seen how they lay the pex through the floor, coming directly off a hose reel, I would seriously doubt there is a construction debris blockage. I have been told that if the boiler fluid is the wrong mixture or has sat for a while it can get sticky and clog, most commonly the check valves. One way to tell whether there is a kink or blockage is to use a thermal gun and check the difference between the exit pex coming out of the AH and the return hose back to the AH (don't really need a gun, because one will be hot to the touch and the other luke warm.

That said, the flow is from the boost pump on the compartment that I cite, to the first heat register. I found my first restriction there with the hard right turn coming through the floor to the register. Then Corey found the kink under the bottom of the silverware drawers. They only kinked when the slide was out. As this was common in the 2013 Anthem DEQ, it may not be your issue, and Corey would know where to look. After that, there are few places to kink with the way it is installed. If those are clear, then it almost has to be clogged fluid in the line, the boost pump I referred to, or the check valves could be clogged. I am assuming you or the tech already gave them a good rapping with a crescent wrench, which is the desired "touch" before replacing. I thought that was my problem, before Corey found my kink (as I could hear the boost pump on the passenger side running when the thermostat turned on the heat registers).

When I say I saw the install of the pex circuit, I saw the floor on end and the installer laying the ex through the circuit of the floor joists. That is not to say it couldn't be kinked, but if it was, and was not caught in QC (and that would be a really bad thing to find before they lay the floor, because it would be so obvious, and relatively hard to do with the ex anyway) then that would be a surprise. JMHO
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I did not shoot the temps at the pumps, just hot to the touch, but did shoot the temps on the lines coming into the back side of the boost pump....... before the lines enter the MH. They were 88 degrees...the tech said they should be at least 120 at the boost pump.

Also checked the register temps in Tampa with the slide opened and closed. If there is a kink in the line it would have to be between the AH unit and the short run to the boost pump before the lines enter the MH.

It is going to be interesting how this plays out. Probably the 33 below last winter destroyed the fluid.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #14

No move around the mixing valve then tap the valves with a light tool if your pumps are all new its one of these 3 the 3rd is a bad board. also restart the system remove fuse at the tstat in bathroom and pull fuse no. 16 I think at the fuse panel under drivers window. its one of those trust me been there done that got the shirt. hope this helps dave and beth are waiting down at the club house we are going to party grah to tie one on.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote