Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Aqua-Hot fluid (the green stuff)

Where are you guys getting the new green stuff, and what are you paying for it? Any idea why they no longer use the red stuff?
My local dealer doesn't have any, but says he can get it for about $52 a gallon. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

I don't know where to get it, but it seems outright CRAZY that Entegra would be using something that is not easily available in retail stores.

We can find the pink stuff practically anywhere but the green is almost impossible. And if you do find it, it has to be shipped...and that's not cheap compared to picking some up off the shelf at camping world.

Most importantly, we are instructed NOT to mix the two as it creates a brown color. And when and if your Aquahot needs service and they see brown that means something very bad.

The fluid needs to be maintained frequently...especially if you use the Aquahot often. To send the coach out with green fluid that owners can't easily find is nothing short of senseless and stupid in my opinion.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Richard...hope you are not confusing "the pink stuff available anywhere" which is for winterizing water systems with AQH coolant. That stuff should never be added to AQH systems. AQH has varied over the years but has at times called for regular antifreeze and then at others GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) antifreeze.

The GRAS is available at some auto stores as a Prestone Product called "Low Tox"...about $18 a gallon at O'Rielly"s, full strength. Mix 50/50 with distille water for top offs. Check the unit to see which one is required.

PS.. I had a GREAT Entegra factory tour this week with Rob and Linda "voltdoc"...hope they are back on the road soon.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Correct, two very different items. Unfortunately, we've not been able to find the green anywhere but online.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You really have to ask at the auto stores. If you say GRAS, they won't have a clue. The kids all say "it's over there on the shelf" Not! I asked an older guy at O'rielly's for the environmentally safe stuff, he went in back and brought out the Lo-Tox labeled stuff. That was after two other O'R, Autozone, NAPA and WalMart. BUT it wasn't $52 anyway, I always carry a couple of gallons because it is so hard to find.

Antifreeze/Coolant Prestone LOWTOX - Engine Coolant/Anti-Freeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts
And it is green in color as well as safe stuff.

I maintain three AQH's and the stuff is a pain to find. I'm normally a NAPA guy. bur O'r's website makes it easy to search for stuff by zip code, and call the store to ask if in stock.

Good Luck
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Try your local plumbing wholesale. Hercules brand is readily available and reasonably priced.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #7

neon green boiler antifreeze

I sent a PM to Ultratravler yesterday when he started this thread. Many of us discussed this issue in January. Search for the info via thread "Aqua hot coolant" on Entegra. I have located it and purchased it with the assistance of Jacob at Entegra. In the thread I also discussed price and shipping as well as different quantities. As I discussed with Dave thru private message last night, if after review of that thread, if there are still any questions on the neon green coolant, let me know, I have it in the basement of the "WHY FLY?" coach. Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info Ron.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #9

My Lowes carries the stuff. It's in the plumbing department

Not sure about combining colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard20 View Post
I don't know where to get it, but it seems outright CRAZY that Entegra would be using something that is not easily available in retail stores.

We can find the pink stuff practically anywhere but the green is almost impossible. And if you do find it, it has to be shipped...and that's not cheap compared to picking some up off the shelf at camping world.

Most importantly, we are instructed NOT to mix the two as it creates a brown color. And when and if your Aquahot needs service and they see brown that means something very bad.

The fluid needs to be maintained frequently...especially if you use the Aquahot often. To send the coach out with green fluid that owners can't easily find is nothing short of senseless and stupid in my opinion.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use Sierra Antifreeze, Biodegradable, Non-Toxic Propylene Glycol by the gallon and mix it with distilled water.

The local NAPA store carries it. The last time I purchased some was over 2 years ago so I don't remember what I paid for it.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...091_0006406839

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #11

You might do a search for "Rhogard". I have the PrecisionTemp unit ("TwinTemp Jr") so not sure if this totally applies to AquaHot, but it probably does (your's has an aluminum tank doesn't it?).

The most important thing is that it's propylene glycol (lo-tox) not ethylene glycol with has already been covered.

Apparently there are also different corrosion protection formulations, and AquaHot may specify certain one(s) for that protection. RhoGard appears to be pretty highly regarded and is the one specified by PrecisionTemp.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Commercial Member

If your Aqua-Hot was originally filled with the pink Camco –100 Boiler coolant, you should continue to use that product. There should be a label somewhere on the Aqua-Hot that states "Use only a nontoxic Propylene Glycol based Boiler Antifreeze with additives generally recognized as safe ("GRAS") by the FDA". There are several compatible products that are even more difficult to find than the Camco. Contact me more information. Please note that not every Aqua-Hot was originally filled with the Camco –100 Boiler coolant. You may contact me with your model number if you have questions.

What is required is a nontoxic boiler coolant to protect you in the event that the (hot) water line that goes through the boiler tank develops a leak. There is a potential that you could get coolant mixed with the water as it travels through the boiler tank. This is very unusual occurrence.

If the coolant is not safe to ingest, then you should not be using it in your Aqua-Hot. I did a little research and found that the Prestone® Low Tox® Antifreeze is not safe to ingest. I have MSDS for this product. Contact me for a copy.

There are many, many propylene glycol products available that should not be used in your Aqua-Hot as they are not boiler coolant and may not hold up under heat and may damage your Aqua-Hot.

Some of the new Winnebago and Entegra coaches use a green Propylene Glycol based Boiler coolant that is even harder to find than the Camco. I found the coolant available online. Search for “century boiler coolant”. This Century coolant should not be mixed with Camco coolant as the coolant turns brown if mixed.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #13

Roger, what is the harm if the color turns brown? I have a gallon of the old Pink stuff from camco and had figured that I would use it if and when I needed to. Is there any technical reason why I should not mix the Camco with the green stuff in my Entegra that I have not found anywhere?
Ann n Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #14

Commercial Member

The concern is that someone will see the brown coolant and assume that it is dirty and needs to be changed.

No one has been able to tell me if the coolants are 'compatible'. I have some concerns based on the MSDS. They appear to have quite different formulation.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com

Tags
fluid