RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Aqua Hot settings for Gas Heat in 2016 Aspire

I have a simple question. We are newbies at full time RVing after selling the house in August and moving to Texas. Right now we are in Holland MI where its been in the high 20s at night. (I know, we are going to Spartan School, otherwise we'd be south.) I'm running the heat system on "heat" "gas" with the fireplace on some early in the morning. Everything is nice and warm so things are working, but my question is -- on the two Aqua Hot rocker switches in mid bath panel, do I need to select both "burner" and "electric" for the Aqua Hot to run correctly when the heating system is set to "heat" "gas"? Can it just be set on "electric"? Thanks!

The Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #2

On the thermostats, heat-gas equals aquahot.

Heat-elec equals roof air heatpumps.

On the aquahot switches, elec will provide "a little heat", burner will provide "ALL THE HEAT"

You can use either switch or both together.

Your '16 Aspire has a propane aquahot, I think. That may be a consideration as well.

We leave our electric switch on 24/7/365, and turn on the burner switch if we need to shower, or if it's too cold for the heat pumps.
We may also turn on zone 2 gas for floor heat (and basement)

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Remeber to set your basement thermostat. We have an Aspire as well. I use my zone 2 gas heat (in floor) very seldom. We found using the fire place keeps us very comfortable and we use a small vortec portable heater at night in the rear bath pointed to the bedroom.

I try to use electric heat as much as possible to reduce the LP burn rate. A full tank normally last us most of the year. In cold climates you can burn an entire tank in 3 to 4 weeks if you are using all gas. I recommend that you install an lp extenda stay fitting on your tank ($20) so if needed in a cold weather spot you can hook up an external tank.

Herb
royals1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
If (when in cold or hot weather) you turn on both gas & electric, the electric thermostat (in the boiler)has a higher cutoff temp (190/195 deg) It will supply hot water for galley and limited amount for heat, when the boiler temps drop below the cutoff temp(180/185deg) for the burner thermostat (also in the boiler) the burner will fire up to provide more volume of hot water and heat as needed.
In other words the primary is electric and the boiler will only fire off if the electric side isn't "keeping up" with usage..
For instance.... you are taking a shower and the boiler temp drops, then the burner will fire off to provide extra hot water until you end your shower then the burner will shut off and revert to solely electric to maintain boiler temp until such time as the usage again dictates that the boiler fire off to assist..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
If (when in cold or hot weather) you turn on both gas & electric, the electric thermostat (in the boiler)has a higher cutoff temp (190/195 deg) It will supply hot water for galley and limited amount for heat, when the boiler temps drop below the cutoff temp(180/185deg) for the burner thermostat (also in the boiler) the burner will fire up to provide more volume of hot water and heat as needed.
In other words the primary is electric and the boiler will only fire off if the electric side isn't "keeping up" with usage..
For instance.... you are taking a shower and the boiler temp drops, then the burner will fire off to provide extra hot water until you end your shower then the burner will shut off and revert to solely electric to maintain boiler temp until such time as the usage again dictates that the boiler fire off to assist..
I don’t know which Aquahot model you have but the 450D in mine isn’t that sophisticated; I wish it was. Even with no water or heat usage, and the electric element always on, the diesel burner comes on immediately when I turn it on and continues to cycle as the boiler fluid cools, with or without any demand. I know my electric element works fine because during the summer we have plenty of hot water with the diesel burner off.

I’ve read all of Aquahot’s 450 manuals and there is no mention of operation as you describe. They only describe the heaters being on or off.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
They haven't operated this way for over 10 years !
They now only have one set of thermostats for both the electric element, and diesel burner.
Far as I'm concerned ..... They really screwed this up!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

IIRC the electric element is only good for about 6000 BTUs, while the propane part is 56000 and the diesel burner is 65000.

dg
Old 10-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
They haven't operated this way for over 10 years !
They now only have one set of thermostats for both the electric element, and diesel burner.
Far as I'm concerned ..... They really screwed this up!
Just one set of thermostats? ewww.
Our A/H is a model 100-02s, so yes it is rather antique..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Just one set of thermostats? ewww.
Our A/H is a model 100-02s, so yes it is rather antique..
It's been that way for years. Might want to look at a few newer MH's next time around a lot. They even have color TV's now. Entegra has been updating thermostats since 2013 (two changes in one year) and now they are built into a computer system call a Vega Touch, no more wall thermostats at all.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
I have a simple question. We are newbies at full time RVing after selling the house in August and moving to Texas. Right now we are in Holland MI where its been in the high 20s at night. (I know, we are going to Spartan School, otherwise we'd be south.) I'm running the heat system on "heat" "gas" with the fireplace on some early in the morning. Everything is nice and warm so things are working, but my question is -- on the two Aqua Hot rocker switches in mid bath panel, do I need to select both "burner" and "electric" for the Aqua Hot to run correctly when the heating system is set to "heat" "gas"? Can it just be set on "electric"? Thanks!
The Dean

I have a 2012 Aspire with the 450LP like you. We run both electric and LP, as well as use the fireplace to knock off the morning cool. On your thermostat you have three selections for heat on zones 1 & 3 (NOTE: Zone 2 does not have the furnace mode only Auto and HP) - Auto, HP, Furn. Auto will turn on the AC or heat pump as needed (depending on your selected temps), HP will turn on the heat pump (AC . HP combined unit), and Furn will turn on the LP heat. Electric works fine for the heat pump but it will not run on furnace since it uses LP (gas).

So:
1. Auto and HP will use the “electric”. (Depending on the outside temps Auto and HP may not keep up).
2. Furn uses LP thus the “burner” needs to be on

We generally heat in Furn mode since it is quieter and keeps the coach warm and cozy.

Additionally, you can turn on your floor heat. For us it’s the white thermostat box over the toilet. Slide the top lever on the right to the left and then slide the temp lever on the bottom to the desired temp. We turn ours all the way to the highest setting since it will not get really hot but comfortable. It takes a good 24 hours to warm the floor.

During the winter, while in storage, we hook up an external tank so I can take it to refill versus the coach, if needed but usually not since we are in TX. You can add a T-connection to the main gas line on the tank to do this and the connections are at Camping World (I cannot believe I just recommended CW!!).

Hope this helps.

Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It's been that way for years. Might want to look at a few newer MH's next time around a lot. They even have color TV's now. Entegra has been updating thermostats since 2013 (two changes in one year) and now they are built into a computer system call a Vega Touch, no more wall thermostats at all.
The difference is the things you mention are progression.
What Aqua Hot did was take a well functioning design, and screw it up !
I'm sure you, like myself, would have liked to leave both switches turned on, and the burner only fire, if the electric element couldn't keep up with demand.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The difference is the things you mention are progression.
What Aqua Hot did was take a well functioning design, and screw it up !
I'm sure you, like myself, would have liked to leave both switches turned on, and the burner only fire, if the electric element couldn't keep up with demand.
To be honest, I don't know how it works on the Vega Touch yet. On the 14 I left both switch on when it got cold. If it needed "gas" for heat it came on. I am sure the electric kept the hot water up, or at least helped. It's not something I worried about as long as the coach was comfortable.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

Leaving both switches turned on with these newer units your basically just wasting electricity. When the transfer fluid drops to the preset temp, both start up simultaneously. By the time the electric element has warmed up enough to raise the boiler fluid temp, the burner has already done it, and has shut off.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Leaving both switches turned on with these newer units your basically just wasting electricity. When the transfer fluid drops to the preset temp, both start up simultaneously. By the time the electric element has warmed up enough to raise the boiler fluid temp, the burner has already done it, and has shut off.

Learned something new today. Checked the service manual, parts diagram, and schematic.
Our aquahot 400D only has 1 thermostat. The electric element and diesel burner (if both are switched on) do in fact operate simultaneously.
It had always been my practice to just leave the electric on all the time, diesel when needed.
From no on, I will always switch off electric when I switch on the burner.

IMHO, what they have been doing is "cost reducing" the aquahot.
The original had 2 electric elements, that could actually produce some meaningful heat. Our 400D has one, which does virtually nothing.

The original had 3 pumps, one of which was a dedicated stir pump to circulate the boiler fluid. We have 2, and whenever the burner is on, hotness is being pumped through the floor loop, kitchen loop, and the master bath loop, even in the summer with all 3 A/C's cranking full blast.

The original had an engine coolant loop, allowing the big motor to help heat the coach, or the aquahot to preheat the big motor. We don't have that at all.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat