Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
It is not worth my time on the phone or traveling for a repair of something this simple. I'll just buy the proper clamps and fix it myself. Besides, I'll probably be more comfortable with my own fix rather than a stranger on something like this.
X2. Look what a stranger did to cause the problem. I trust my work better than any dealers in my area that I have been too. Then with the snowbirds here there is a 3 month wait to get in..... I don't have a clue what I am going to be doing in 3 months. I did repairs with my last MH and never had a warranty problem. Nobody even asked, they looked at it on the PDI, saw it was done and checked it off. I have been doing Entegra's repair work, they have even supplied the parts and probably very happy to have the free labor.

Besides...it's too late, I did the repair as soon as hogdriver reported there was a problem, probably before AH could make up their minds to issue a TSB. Oh wait, I haven't even received a TSB yet
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
On most o these recalls, if you can do the work yourself, just have it reviewed at the dealership the next time you pass through that it has been done and forward the papers. They won't void your warrantee.
Dave you are correct. I fixed mine while out west after noticing some fluid. Simple fix took about 15 minutes and a trip to the local parts store.

I then had to fix someone else's CS that we met in Albuquerque that had a puddle under the coach. Same situation but this time I had extra clamps so no trip to the parts store. 7000 miles No more problems for the rest of the trip.

I will be in LD in January for my annual check up. The problem I may have is I don't really need anything done under warranty but it is a yearly appointment and I get to go to the rv show in Tampa. While there I will have them check and or do it all over to satisfy AH.

Entegra is great to work with, none better in my books, just like the pilot of a plane Entegra lets the driver make the call. They will always advise you and guide you, but it has always been stated to me by Customer service "what works best for you in this situation"
Old 11-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #45

I have a 14 Anthem with the problem, I replaced the bad spring clamp with worm clamp & problem solved, going to replace all the others b4 next trip. Talked to C/S @ Jayco they told me it was believed to b engine pressure causing problem ( that's what they were told). I like the C/S department at Middlebury always helpful & willing to help anyway, best I have dealt with after 6 coaches.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #46

Here are the spring clamps I used, I am told they are superior to the standard worm gear clamps:
Attached Images

hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Thank you Dave. Does the fix only involve the clamps on the AH? What about the clamps on the engine?

It looks like the clamps on the engine shutoff valves are the constant tension type. If you look close at the attached picture you can see the clamp on the hose at the end of the brass valve. It looks like its got some yellow paint on it. You can't see much of the valve but its there to the left of the turbo and its hard plumbed directly to the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_180334.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	78301  
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
The whole thing seems kind of odd to me...connections to the engine are fine and AH would not connect to engine, JMHO. My guess is the specs to Spartan for the hoses to run forward to the AH (and likely the hoses but don't know for sure) come from Entegra. Then since the connection to Aquahot are inside the AH box, suggesting they choose/chose the clamp to connect to the hose...and they chose poorly...again, JMHO, but they likely didn't consider the internal pressures as well as they should have. And that is why they are responsible for the repairs/the recall. As I suggested earlier, I think, based upon conversations with Entegra CS, that Entegra continues to push them to step up with Anthem as well.

The second thing that sounds strange to me, and I didn't ask Entegra CS about this, is the question of whether other coach brands using AH and connecting to the ISL engine...do they use the same internal clamps. This might define whether the AH is being done to Entegra specs internally (I doubt). Otherwise, Entegra would be doing (and paying for recalls). Are the SOBs with ISL and AH having similar problems?

The whole things begs to the question of responsibility, liability, and costs. What do you do, as the integrator (Entegra) do if an OEM provider refuses initially to recall (non-safety issue) and chooses to foot the costs of repair, e.g. coolant all over the compartment. I don't know the balance for the integrator...the good will of the customer (during that interim) versus coercing the OEM to respond. I hate it because it is corporate think, but my guess is someone in the boardroom of AH is saying...OK, there are 600 AHs on the road in Anthems, 22 failures (3.6%) at a cost of X. The cost to recall on the 600 Anthems...Y. And Y must be significantly more than the cost of X. The pressure on the Anthem clamps is marginal as compared to too much for Cornerstones who have had multiple failure in much fewer coaches (remember that this problem has not occurred in a bunch of Anthems).

Aint sayin' this is right...suspect this is what is going on. Don't know what to do about it...I guess at some point Entegra front office is going to have to weigh the good will they are loosing, threaten AH to go to Oasis, find some other OEM (don't know that there are a lot of alternatives), or some other alternative I am not aware of. It would represent a crummy situation if I was in charge; I would select good will, but I'm not in the front office. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #49

On my Anthem the AH has a short pigtail hose on both the in and out connections. These hoses are connected to the long hoses from the engine. The connection of the long and short hoses are done with constant tension clamps which I assumed was entegra connecting the AH to the motorhome. The short pigtails which I assumed was from AH have the small spring clamps. It was these spring clamps that were leaking so it appears to be an AH problem. But what do I know
Swerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #50
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
It is not worth my time on the phone or traveling for a repair of something this simple. I'll just buy the proper clamps and fix it myself. Besides, I'll probably be more comfortable with my own fix rather than a stranger on something like this.
After seeing the contortions the mobile guy went through to get at the clamps, I'm sure glad I didn't try to do it myself. He had to crawl through a bay forward of the Aquahot on the opposite side of the coach to access the clamps that needed to be replaced. Also needed a pound-inch torque wrench to tighten clamps to specs.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, the 22 failures that AH is claiming are only the ones they know about. You still have people that did roadside repairs and never called anyone Others like myself and hogdriver that made the repairs before there was ever a problem. Again, no notice being given to anyone.

Thankfully, we have this forum and don't have to wait for someone to "make" a decision.

Good question on the other brands on what type of clamps were used.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
My guess is the specs to Spartan for the hoses to run forward to the AH (and likely the hoses but don't know for sure) come from Entegra.
Dave - you have a good point. In this case I think that AquaHot specs the connections from the engine to the AquaHot unit. Look at this illustration from the generic AquaHot installation manual - Same clamps that came from Entegra.

I think the fault belongs to AquaHot for not properly anticipating the pressures involved and specifying the appropriate clamp. An argument could be made either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquahot Installation Manual.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	78310  
Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #53

One fortunate thing about when I replaced my clamps was the incidental finding of a tiny water leak from one of the PEX elbows - fixed by simply tightening the elbow nut. I guess another reason to DIY.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
I just received a PM regarding my earlier post thinking I was speaking bad of Entegra. My post was regarding AH abd AH only not issuing TSB on all of the cheap clamp installation and saying there has only been 22 reported Anthem cases. I think there have been that many leaks on this forum alone.

If anyone else took my post as against Entegra, believe me it was not and not meant that way at all.