Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I would offer one thing...over two to four months of days above and days below 40 in a RV park during the Winter, it pays to park with more than a half tank of diesel because the AH does burn a significant amount of fuel over a monthly time frame...filling the tank with a five gallon jug because you ran out and wouldn't start is a real pain. I would never admit publicly how I know that to be true
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post

I would offer one thing...over two to four months of days above and days below 40 in a RV park during the Winter, it pays to park with more than a half tank of diesel because the AH does burn a significant amount of fuel over a monthly time frame...filling the tank with a five gallon jug because you ran out and wouldn't start is a real pain. I would never admit publicly how I know that to be true
Dave,

I will make two comments regarding your post.

#1 - I recommend always parking with a full tank of diesel when you plan to be parked for a significant amount of time.

#2 - It appears that the diesel pickup tube for your Aqua-Hot is not at the correct length. Your AH should never drain your diesel tank to the point where you will not be able to start your engine to go fill with more diesel.

Same holds true for your generator fuel pickup tube.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #17

I always run on the top half of my tank; and only twice have I intentionally gone below a quarter tank to check the low fuel light and gauge.

Sent from my iPhone 70NAM
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I didn't say it happened to me...c'mon man...I'd never do that

Probably the only and last time THAT person has or will park for an extended period with less than a half tank. I know...I discussed it with them personally.

And by the way, the new plastic fuel cans A person might buy have a safety feature on the spout that requires the ONE to push back a mechanism on the spout to pour. I understand from THIS person that that makes it even harder to load 5 gal of diesel at a time (not to speak of the fact that 5 gl of diesel it not the lightest thing THAT person has lifted recently).

As to pick up entries to the diesel tank, I don't know for certain where they enter the tank, but I do know that the diesel pitot is high enough that 10-15 gallons is unusable, and that's the one that matters when it comes time to start...so THAT unnamed person who foolishly went on site for four Winter months forgot something WRT fuel tank geometry
Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
For the record, I have added 120 gallons to my tank, and at that point the generator and AH still worked. I don't know how low you have to get to cause the AH and generator to quit (and I really don't want to find out). The low fuel light came on about 30 miles before I filled up with 120 gallons..
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post

For the record, I have added 120 gallons to my tank, and at that point the generator and AH still worked. I don't know how low you have to get to cause the AH and generator to quit (and I really don't want to find out). The low fuel light came on about 30 miles before I filled up with 120 gallons..
So how many gallons does your diesel tank hold?

My Windsor has a 128 gallon tank. The engine will quit once I have used up about 100 gallons or so (don't ask me how I know that! ). That's what it took to fill my tank after the engine quit. My generator and Aqua-Hot will quit when I need about 85 gallons of fuel to fill-up. That was an easy one to figure out one summer in Alaska while staying near my sons house in Eagle River.

My analog fuel gauge is basically worthless so I rely on my SilverLeaf VMSpc screen and gauges that I have set up for fuel consumption.

If I am planning to stop for an overnight and the fuel gauge is near the halfway mark or below I will always fill up BEFORE parking for the night. That way I KNOW I will have fuel to run the generator for charging the house batteries and for coffee and microwave use in the morning PLUS we will have plenty of hot water and heat using the Aqua-Hot if it is cold outside.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
The Anthem and Cornerstone tanks are rated to hold 150 gallons total. We now know that the top 120 gallons will run everything. The bottom 30, who knows?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I didn't say it happened to me...c'mon man...I'd never do that

Probably the only and last time THAT person has or will park for an extended period with less than a half tank. I know...I discussed it with them personally.

And by the way, the new plastic fuel cans A person might buy have a safety feature on the spout that requires the ONE to push back a mechanism on the spout to pour. I understand from THIS person that that makes it even harder to load 5 gal of diesel at a time (not to speak of the fact that 5 gl of diesel it not the lightest thing THAT person has lifted recently).

As to pick up entries to the diesel tank, I don't know for certain where they enter the tank, but I do know that the diesel pitot is high enough that 10-15 gallons is unusable, and that's the one that matters when it comes time to start...so THAT unnamed person who foolishly went on site for four Winter months forgot something WRT fuel tank geometry
I have one of those environmentally friendly child/adult proof safety containers that I used to pour the 5 gal. into the motorhome, ....... but only once, what a mess. Now I place the 5 gal. container on a table next to the entry door and use a shaker siphon hose. No holding the weight of the container and not a drop spilled.

https://www.google.ca/search?sclient...wERx1vx2SzM%3A

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #23

BTW, I figured out the blue "water" Scepter 5 gal cans are made out of the same material as the gas & diesel cans that have all the EPA adult/child proof caps.

Plus since its a "water can" it has a separate vent cap that allows close to full flow.

I did put diesel stickers on it so no one thinks of using it as a water can.

Please don't tell the EPA police.

Steve
photraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
At Spartan Academy (Aug. '15) I got the following info from Big Mike re: my '15 Anthem fuel tank (150-gal):

The sender for the gauge is calibrated based on the full tank capacity even though about 15% (~23-gal) is unusable - meaning usable capacity is ~125-gallons and when my gauge gets near 15% I'm about to be in big trouble.

I wouldn't know based on personal experience, as the most I've ever put in was 113-gallons. That was before my "schooling" and I won't go nearly that low again. I typically add 80-90 gallons on a fill up now.

rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I put 129 gal in the 150 gal tank...not because I wanted to, but because of a lack of fuel stations from1/4 tank on in. 1/4 tank..fill. THAT OTHER person always has at least 1/2 tank before month or longer stays
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #26
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am finding all of these discussions fascinating. I heard PJs presentation two weeks in a row. Once at Entegra during our two year PDI. And once the following week Up at Spartan during their Academy. If you can understand what PJ presents and have any clue about radiant heat then you should be fine. I was totally amazed once I learned the way Entegra has run the aqua Hot line's. from what I was told there's a loop that follows every water line all the way around the motorhome. This loop even circles around our holding tanks. The only item that may freeze in a sub freezing situation appears to be the waterline going to the refrigerator if your refrigerator is mounted in a slide out. I have also had several opportunities to talk to different aqua hot techs and they indicated that it was preferable to run both the electric and diesel all the time which is one thing I've always done. Not only does it exercise the diesel part but it also gives you the greatest efficiency. Sounds reasonable to me…

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
My electric assist and diesel burners switches are both on 24/7/365 unless the unit is being serviced.

During some of the hotter summer months I have had to turn the electric assist off a few times just to force the diesel burner to fire up and exercise it.

Otherwise they never get turned off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, I have been in some RV parks in northern states in the summer where the ground water coming in must be colder than FL water in the winter. My AG burners kept firing way to much so the burner gets shut off until needed. Just me trying to save fuel so I can use it running 70 MPH
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel