Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #1

Aspire Steer Tire Change

As of late the conversation on GY steer tires has got me to thinking. I have over 40k on ours with on problems. We are in a location where there is only one commercial dealer. Can order online. Other than Michelin what brand are you changing to. Tell me something about the tire performance , model etc. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #2

In addition to Michelins, Toyo is a less expensive option.

I know of at least 2 people riding on Toyo's and they have had no issues.

If your coach is a '13, the tires are likely from '12. You can verify the dates yourself, but it's possible they are 5 1/2 years old. If it helps make your decision, those tires are nearing the end (not there yet) of their useful age.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Continental is another USA manufactured tire available through FMCA. I used them on my last coach for 65,000 miles with no issues.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

There were Toyos mounted on my Dynasty when I bought it used and I spent considerable time looking into Toyo tires after to see if they were good or needed to be swapped out. They ran just fine, and the reviews that I could find were good. They were also considerably less expensive than the comparable Michelins.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Toyo experience

We replaced the original Goodyear steer tires on our 13 Aspire this past Feb. The Goodyears had uneven wear due to an alignment issue. Our service facility, Taylor Tours in Anthem, AZ recommended Toyo based on their experience with them on their fleet of Prevost busses (they have over 30 of them and they average about 100,000 miles per year each) that they lease to the entertainment industry that require '315' sizes.

We put '295's on our steer axle, got an alignment, and have driven about 5000 miles on them through the Rockies to the East coast and back. Can't speak to longevity but the ride is much better than the Goodyears, and the alignment is still spot on.
Lamar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Toyo or Continental would be my choice if my rig didn't require Michelins 365/70 tires on the front and tag. I went with Michelins on the drive even though I could have gone with Toyo since they are 315/80's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Last week I ordered two Michelin X-coach HL's to replace my steer tires. Those tires are currently on Michelins backorder list and I won't receive them until late Sept. or early Oct. I use a large Michelin dealer who deals with large truck tires. He found four of them somewhere in the US but to assure me of getting fresh tires with matching dates he advised me to wait.This could be argued as a foolish waste of money on my part if based solely on comparing the reliability of the GY & Michelins. That's what my Michelin dealer thinks, but improvement in ride is something else.
Toyo's are gaining a good reputation and are becoming very popular with long haul truckers for mileage, comparable to Michelins, durability and especially cost. My dealer said many of his trucking customers are switching to Toyo's. He advised when at rest areas or fuel stops, ask a trucker some tire questions. FWIW.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Back in the "old days" Country Coach, one of the top coach manufacture were installing TOYO's on their coaches from the factory. Back then that said a lot for TOYO's, then again, a lot has changed on MH's over the years.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Back in the "old days" Country Coach, one of the top coach manufacture were installing TOYO's on their coaches from the factory. Back then that said a lot for TOYO's, then again, a lot has changed on MH's over the years.

Country Coach and Toyo Tire had a major disagreement over the failure of Toyo tires on the front of County Coach coaches.
These tire issues are not new.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/a...on-focuses-new
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Country Coach and Toyo Tire had a major disagreement over the failure of Toyo tires on the front of County Coach coaches.
These tire issues are not new.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/a...on-focuses-new

I check this recall its from 2009. Then I checked NHTSA on recalls on Toyo M144 . None to be found.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Must be why CC went to 365/70 front and tag on Magna's after 6984 or so. Mine is 6999. Also my owners manual says to run nothing less than the pressure on the Federal Tire sticker.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
I check this recall its from 2009. Then I checked NHTSA on recalls on Toyo M144 . None to be found.

I believe the recall was from Country Coach not Toyo. A lot of water under the bridge since than.

Hope everyone has learned from these issues, chassis mfg, coach builders, and owners.

Unfortunately we had a 2013 Aspire that was overloaded on the front axle. Entegra changed out the 295s for 315s and changed to 9" wheels rated at 9k.
Reyco re-rated the front axle from 14,600 to 15,200. Also learned later they put an extra plate above the air springs to raise the coach high enough to accommodate the 315s

No typo here, Entegra build a few Aspires on the Anthem chassis in 2013.
It had the Michelin tires with IFS but only had the 100 gallon tank.

When we purchased the Anthem I required the dealer to weight it before we took delivery.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #13

Last Saturday we had a left steer tire blowout at interstate speed. Luckily I remembered the stay off the brake and add a little speed lesson that I learned on this site. Rolled out a then went to the right shoulder.

No warning from TMPS until it screamed the alarm, after the failure. You guessed it, GY's with less than four years and 24,000 miles.

I had read the bad news and knew it could not happen to us, well it did. Damage so far is wheel well cover destroyed, generator exhaust gone, leveling wiring shredded. ABS detector gone on tire side. Most of the left side frame damaged and jolted tile loose under drivers seat.

We were near a Love's truck stop and when Ssam's Platinum service could not get anyone to respond, Loves's was tremendous. Had not one but to Michelin tires and made, the road side call to get us back to their shop.
Garrett's statement was we do not leave anyone on the road, we WILL get you in.

Entegra is one tough coach, with a little work, we got back on the road and are headed homeward. Our thoughts are get rid of the GY steer tires ASAP.
al-travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #14

Al Travelers: It sounds like you did a great job and the circumstances worked out well.

It appears your coach info. dropped out somehow. I believe you have a 2015 Aspire, which would have come with the troubled 295s.

I'm happy things turned out as well as they did.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote