Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

AT&T Wireless customers feedback please

I have been a Verizon customer for a very long time and cant complain about virtually ANYTHING other than cost. It appears that Verizon's philosophy is "We are the biggest wireless system and provide the best coverage and we don't give a darn about trying to compete on price with anyone else"!! They are good, and of course, they keep you tied to them by paying for your phone a little at a time on your monthly bill.

However, I really don't know what AT&T wireless service is like, although right now, they seem to be "all-into" discounting and bundling. AT&T is rarely discussed by itself as its own topic on here, so I would really appreciate AT&T wireless customers talking about their 1.) coverage, 2.) customer service, 3.) specifically broadband service, and 4.) any other relevant issue. I am a big broadband user..... when we are traveling, DW and I use roughly 16 Gig a month with no streaming of TV or Video, no Netflix, no streaming music, only finding a good restaurant, or cheap diesel, or tourist information, or the next RV park, or checking email, or whatever.

I am getting sick and tired of paying Verizon more per month than I feel that I should be paying and may seriously consider biting the bullet and switching. The only other company that I am considering would be AT&T because my opinion is that all the other carriers are companies that cover major metropolitan areas and have terrible coverage outside of those areas.

Gary

Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

We use ATT and have not had any problems. However, it is expensive too. I think the only way to get it cheap is if you include Direct TV. Also, the ATT mobile hotspot we use is only so-so wifi.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
AT&T is working well for us. I use the unite explore mifi card and attach a netgear mimo antenna to a window. I am out in nowhere Alabama (Opelika) and we get an average of 4 to 5 MB down load speed an 3 MB upload speed. My verizon mifi card is only getting about 1 MB for up an down load speed. We also have the Direct TV Now for $10 a month. Do not use sat tv. We are happy with it so far
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

I have used AT&T for many years and have been generally satisfied. I started with Verizon, but ditched them about 20 years ago because of their terrible customer service. Along with our 2 iPhones, we have a Home Base with 250GB of data in our in motorhome which is our hotspot.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I had to drop ATT two years ago because they had poor coverage in the two places where I used them the most (my winter home and summer RV destination). Since changing to Verizon I not only have much better coverage at those locations, but far fewer dropped calls everywhere. Yes Verizon is expensive but if the cheaper option provides poor coverage it is no bargain.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I am trying the AT&T Mobley on this trip. So far, 1325 miles, 6 states running WAZE on an internet only tablet and have not dropped a signal yet. Connection have been perfect at all of our stops so far. When I get home, I am keeping the Mobley for $20. a month and changing plans on my Verizon to a lower plan. I can always switch back if needed Will see how it works when we get into MT with sketchy service.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Gary...we have ATT, it's only fair at our Wilderness site, better at others,but we are in the middle of Ocala National Forest...I keep a Verizon month to month phone for important calls. Data is ok but no steaming. Other than there, the only other areas we noticed problems were areas out west...spottey at times, sometimes no one had coverage, sometimes just Verizon or just Att. I do find a difference in walk in customer service between both...ATT does a much better job in my opinion.
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

DW has Verizon and I have AT&T by design. Out west Verizon is the clear winner for service. Att is good on most interstates, but off the major routes Verizon is still on top. With both services we almost always have coverage with at least one. Cost??? Well if you can afford an Entegra.......
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

Att primary. Straight talk (verizon) hot spot backup. For example, trailer village, grand canyon, att was marginal phone access, hot spot was slow but servicible data (with Max amp booster).
Old 07-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

My wife has Verizon and I agree with above ,
Verizon is better in rural areas but at&t pretty much covers metro areas and highways great ..Of course I got the mobley for my internet and it hasn't missed s beat
And at 20 bucks a month unlimited it is a sweet way to go.. I throw on my direct tv service at 60 bucks a month for 2 tvs at home and 1 in my anthem and I got all covered all in one bill I can manage from my I phone app fast. I prefer at&t for sure
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, because there are so many variables there's no definitive answer to your question, so I'm in the multiple carriers camp.

We have had Verizon on our phones for years and most places have good voice/data service. A major exception is our summer spot in RI, Verizon totally sucks here and this is a heavily populated area. ATT and Tmo are far superior.

Had a T-mobile hotspot for several months and it was only usable near metro areas, but in a couple of cases it outperformed ATT and Verizon.

Picked up a Mobley earlier this year in Albuquerque. Drove back thru TX then up to IN and back to RI. There wasn't one spot where we didn't have ATT service. Sometimes performance was better than Verizon, sometimes not.

After testing the Mobley on that trip we switched our phones to a lower cost unlimited Verizon plan saving $40 per month. We also dropped our Verizon MiFi saving another $20. Dropped Tmo hot spot as well. So our net cost now is much lower with two carrier options vs our previous Verizon only plan with a high data limit.

Firm believer now in having more than one carrier. Mobley ATT will be our primary while on the coach and Verizon when we are elsewhere. If ATT is poor somewhere, we can use our Verizon phones as hotspots. Also planning to invest in a booster and/or external antennas.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #12

I stopped using my Verizon puck because it was expensive and not reliable. I switched to a T Mobile puck which gives better and faster reception and is only $20 per month.

I have used ATT communication service forever and have no compelling reason to change. It is however not cheap.

For on the road internet I have found that my iphone hotspot in combination with the T Mobile puck gives the least expensive and most reliable connection as long as you are not expecting video service.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #13

Gary,

We just finished an 8400 mile trip from CA to Kerrville, Tx, OK, FL, Middlebury, the UP in MI and back to CA. We used the Mobley from ATT and it worked everywhere excpt at a CG in Kentucky that was down in a hole by the River. ( had to do the Bourbon Trail). Again, I highly recommend it and for $20/mo unlimited data it is great. When I hooked it up at home it seemed almost as fast as my cable internet. I also use Verizon for cellular but am thinking of using only the Mobley

Duncan Holt
14 Anthem towing 13 Enclave
Sant a Rosa, Ca
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #14

Oops,
I meant to say using the Mobley at home ��

Duncan Holt