Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Auto Gen Start and Shore Power

As described in an earlier thread for pre 2015 Entegra coaches our 2016 Cornerstone demonstrates an identical problem in which the generator starts with the EC-30 set for auto start when there is a call for air conditioning despite being plugged in to shore power. I have gone into the set up menu and drilled down to a screen under "set up auto" labeled "SP Sense" None. I presume this indicates that shore power is not being detected although it is clearly on. Has anyone run across this situation in a 2016 coach and is this a wiring issue or a EC-30 setting issue? I saw one thread in which a mis-wiring was described but could not tell if it applied to our coach. Thanks for you help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPC View Post
As described in an earlier thread for pre 2015 Entegra coaches our 2016 Cornerstone demonstrates an identical problem in which the generator starts with the EC-30 set for auto start when there is a call for air conditioning despite being plugged in to shore power. I have gone into the set up menu and drilled down to a screen under "set up auto" labeled "SP Sense" None. I presume this indicates that shore power is not being detected although it is clearly on. Has anyone run across this situation in a 2016 coach and is this a wiring issue or a EC-30 setting issue? I saw one thread in which a mis-wiring was described but could not tell if it applied to our coach. Thanks for you help.
SP sense “None” is the same as SP sense “After” and refers to where the sense wires are connected into the system, either before the transfer switch or after the transfer switch.

Under the test menu there is a test you can run to see if it is wired properly. On page 10 of the EC-30 manual it is called Testing Shore AC Present.

I suspect that someone forgot to hook up your shore power sense lines thus it is starting even when shore power is present.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks for pointing out the test procedure in the manual. As you suspected I do not get the OK after cycling the camp pedestal circuit breaker. So the coach is not sensing the presence of shore power. I will call Entegra CS for further instructions. Is there a way to visually inspect the sense wires either at the EC-30 or at the transfer switch?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPC View Post
Thanks for pointing out the test procedure in the manual. As you suspected I do not get the OK after cycling the camp pedestal circuit breaker. So the coach is not sensing the presence of shore power. I will call Entegra CS for further instructions. Is there a way to visually inspect the sense wires either at the EC-30 or at the transfer switch?
When Entegra starting doing the sense wires at the factory I am not sure where they wired it to. If you see 2 low voltage wires going into the transfer switch this would be them or check at the back of the EC-30 panel for wires connected to pin 13 and 14.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

With Don's help I went thru the exact same procedure you have followed and came to the same conclusion. No shore power sense connections to the Command 30 except I knew it from the beginning with our '13.

As a quickie you can pry the Command 30 face plate off with your fingernail. Underneath are the two mounting screw. Remove them and pull the panel out and the connector is visible for inspection. Check pins 13 and 14 for 12 volt shore sense input. Do not be fooled by the simple presence of a wire in those locations. In our case there were pins/wire in the connector @ 13 and 14 with 8 inch pigtails tie wrapped into the harness leading from the Command 30......they just were not hooked to anything! Check for voltage on the wires when shore power is present and not to assure 13 and 14 are being fed. If not then you need to add the shore power sense line and connect to the two pigtails into 13 and 14 with 12 volts as described in other posts.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just curious where did Entegra place the low voltage transform when they added the shore power sense wiring Command 30. Thanks

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Just curious where did Entegra place the low voltage transform when they added the shore power sense wiring Command 30. Thanks

Richard
It's built into the transfer switch.

Link to photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yNKXoVDtarWS8RWJ7
lower left corner pink and purple wires.

You can add one to the older models by tapping into one of the legs for the shore power cord.

If the sense is not connected directly to the shore power cord there is no way for the EC30 to distinguish between power from the genset and when shore power has actually been restored.

In this photo:https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3ZN1uxf277wy5xo7
Note the oval white label lower right corner.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just curious here folks. Doesn't Entegra use Magnum Energy inverters? If so, why would they not also install Magnum's AGS module instead of the Onan EC-30? Magnum's AGS gets shore power sense via the network cable that connects to the inverter. Pretty simple deal. Plus you use the same remote panel that controls your inverter/charger to set up your AGS.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Just curious here folks. Doesn't Entegra use Magnum Energy inverters? If so, why would they not also install Magnum's AGS module instead of the Onan EC-30? Magnum's AGS gets shore power sense via the network cable that connects to the inverter. Pretty simple deal. Plus you use the same remote panel that controls your inverter/charger to set up your AGS.
That has been a question for years. I don't recall ever hearing a reason for it. We had to add the transformer after the dealer misrepresented the AGS working when shore power was lost. Finally Entegra updated to the Vega Touch and changed it all.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
They do use the Magnum AGS (or it's RV-C equivalent in software) on coaches with Vegatouch. There is an ME-RVC that bridges the Magnum data to the RV-C.

Also, the Magnum ME-AGS network version or ME-RC manuals make no mention of triggering a gen start from loss of shorepower so I don't think it has that capability unless one of the pigtail options are used. Entegras inverters are wired after the transfer switch, so sensing shorepower at the inverter could potentially provide genset autostart but it wouldn't know when shorepower was restored (because the genset is providing power). A direct connection before the transfer switch is required for that.

On Vegatouch systems, direct shorepower sense and status (volts, amps, etc.) come from the RV-C equipped transfer switch so is available on the network to any device or program that needs that info.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just started searching for posts on the xfer switch. I am having the same issues. Recently noticed that when we parked and I switched over to shore power I would set the auto GS to ON. Everything was working before as it was supposed to. Recent stop - set auto GS to ON, and GEN automagically started. Turned OFF A/Cs at thermostat and reset auto GS - all OK. Turned on A/Cs and GEN auto started. Turned OFF A/Cs, set auto GS ON, turned OFF power at pedestal - GEN did not start. ALL settings in EC-30 are correct, verified with EC. Talked to Grover Simpson (Cummins/Onan) and he had me test a few things.

Long story short, I get no 12V power from the transfer switch lead. EC is telling me that I need a new transfer switch - OR - maybe I can get a new transformer board from TRC. I have a call into TRC but they haven't gotten back to me yet...

Well, I just heard back from TRC and Steve suggested a few more tests on the board inside the xfer switch - but - he said they don't sell parts so I may need to replace the xfer switch. Steve said to replace it with the same switch.

Anybody else have any ideas? Should I look for a different model switch? Different manufacturers switch? Thanks in advance...
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Just started searching for posts on the xfer switch. I am having the same issues. Recently noticed that when we parked and I switched over to shore power I would set the auto GS to ON. Everything was working before as it was supposed to. Recent stop - set auto GS to ON, and GEN automagically started. Turned OFF A/Cs at thermostat and reset auto GS - all OK. Turned on A/Cs and GEN auto started. Turned OFF A/Cs, set auto GS ON, turned OFF power at pedestal - GEN did not start. ALL settings in EC-30 are correct, verified with EC. Talked to Grover Simpson (Cummins/Onan) and he had me test a few things.

Long story short, I get no 12V power from the transfer switch lead. EC is telling me that I need a new transfer switch - OR - maybe I can get a new transformer board from TRC. I have a call into TRC but they haven't gotten back to me yet...

Well, I just heard back from TRC and Steve suggested a few more tests on the board inside the xfer switch - but - he said they don't sell parts so I may need to replace the xfer switch. Steve said to replace it with the same switch.

Anybody else have any ideas? Should I look for a different model switch? Different manufacturers switch? Thanks in advance...

Well, the saga continues... It appears that this particular xfer switch: model 41260 P/N: 41260-004 was built by TRC expressly for Entegra. I will need to get it from a Jayco/Entegra dealer since the factory doesn't sell parts. Anyone suggest a "good" dealer to work with for shipping parts at a "resonable" price? Thanks...
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Well, the saga continues... It appears that this particular xfer switch: model 41260 P/N: 41260-004 was built by TRC expressly for Entegra. I will need to get it from a Jayco/Entegra dealer since the factory doesn't sell parts. Anyone suggest a "good" dealer to work with for shipping parts at a "resonable" price? Thanks...
Parts wise I have found NIRVC to have the best prices on Entegra parts.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #14

I recently got a slide motor from beaver coach sales in Oregon... super great parts guy who was very knowledgeable and the motor was very reasonable compared to other prices I was getting..
Now they do say mhsrv is the cheapest but when I tried all day on the phone to get there parts department and it just sent me to voicemail I gave up...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power